Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stromboli

IUMS at Butler 10/18/17

5th straight time these teams head to ot. 1-1-2 record in previous 4 for both teams. Really neither team with chances. Reminds me of maryland game. We have kept extra numbers back to stop their counter attack and balls over top but because of it, butler d is de-possesing iu before any good chances. Not sure ive seen an iu game with this few chances on both teams. 

A bit lucky to escape with a clean sheet. Butler came close on a few chances in the first half and in the second OT.

Indiana dominated possession in the second half, but didn’t really have any good looks at goal. Had difficulty playing through the middle in the first half and resorted to playing on the wings and whipping in crosses. Didn’t work all that well since Butler has a big, veteran keeper. Decision to play Lillard up top at the end was bizarre, partially for that reason.

My biggest worry for this team is in games like tonight, or should they ever fall behind, is that they don’t have one guy who can go and get a goal. Lots of talent all around, but lacking a killer in the final third.

Side note - it’s a joke that Butler plays soccer on a turf football field. Tuition alone is high enough to fund an actual field for their team.

53 minutes ago, KB0 said:

A bit lucky to escape with a clean sheet. Butler came close on a few chances in the first half and in the second OT.

Indiana dominated possession in the second half, but didn’t really have any good looks at goal. Had difficulty playing through the middle in the first half and resorted to playing on the wings and whipping in crosses. Didn’t work all that well since Butler has a big, veteran keeper. Decision to play Lillard up top at the end was bizarre, partially for that reason.

My biggest worry for this team is in games like tonight, or should they ever fall behind, is that they don’t have one guy who can go and get a goal. Lots of talent all around, but lacking a killer in the final third.

Side note - it’s a joke that Butler plays soccer on a turf football field. Tuition alone is high enough to fund an actual field for their team.

Some things you could not be more wrong on and some things more right. You are absolutely right that it is ridiculous that Butler plays on their turf football field. Part of it is they are still in process of being upgraded to Big East from Horizon so its only recently they have money and are upgrading things slowly. They may yet build a nice soccer stadium at some point but right now it is what it is. You are also absolutely right that IU was fairly lucky to get out with a tie.

With that said (and this is where you are not quite right) this was an unusual situation where a combination of the speedy turf and their speedy forwards allowed Butler to play D with 8 men and forced IU to play a lot more back on D than normal to shut that long ball down. As a result Toye, Dorsey Warr etc had no chance given they were running into 4-5 defenders every time they got the near the box. Not even the best forward in the world could win against that many people. Normally we have quite a good attack (which is where you are way off) and Dorsey and Toye can absolutely create goals on their own which is why we are averaging well over 2 goals a game for the first time in several years. In any other venue against any other team where we can bring normal numbers forward we score just fine and have all year.

After this game I really am not sure we will be scored on again this year (I hope I don't eat my words) unless its very late against an elite team late in the tournament away from home. Given the conditions mentioned above if we don't allow a goal tonight in these circumstances I am not sure we ever will. This is the one game where a tie hurts hurts very little against a top 20 team on the road in both RPI and perception. We need to win the rest of our games to win Big Ten and hopefully we will but a tie tonight is no big deal and most importantly shutout streak in tact.

1 minute ago, Aaron said:

Some things you could not be more wrong on and some things more right. You are absolutely right that it is ridiculous that Butler plays on their turf football field. Part of it is they are still in process of being upgraded to Big East from Horizon so its only recently they have money and are upgrading things slowly. They may yet build a nice soccer stadium at some point but right now it is what it is. You are also absolutely right that IU was fairly lucky to get out with a tie.

With that said (and this is where you are not quite right) this was an unusual situation where a combination of the speedy turf and their speedy forwards allowed Butler to play D with 8 men and forced IU to play a lot more back on D than normal to shut that long ball down. As a result Toye, Dorsey Warr etc had no chance given they were running into 4-5 defenders every time they got the near the box. Not even the best forward in the world could win against that many people. Normally we have quite a good attack (which is where you are way off) and Dorsey and Toye can absolutely create goals on their own which is why we are averaging well over 2 goals a game for the first time in several years. In any other venue against any other team where we can bring normal numbers forward we score just fine and have all year.

After this game I really am not sure you will be scored on again this year (I hope I don't eat my words) unless its very late against an elite team late in the tournament away from home. Given the conditions mentioned above if we don't allow a goal in these circumstances I am not sure we ever will. This is the one game where a tie hurts hurts very little against a top 20 team on the road in both RPI and perception. We need to win the rest of our games to win Big Ten and hopefully we will but a tie tonight is no big deal and most importantly shutout streak in tact.

Not sure where exactly I am “way wrong.” I watched the game too. I’ve been watching IU soccer for a long time.

Butler did sit their midfield back some and play through the front three. However, in the first half they controlled the midfield and commanded a large amount of possession. Their attacks were not from counters. 

Yes Toye and Dorsey both score goals. Dorsey is more of a 1v1 player than Toye, who can get a little too selfish at time. I’m talking about someone who is a clinical finisher with a killer instinct. A Zavaleta, Bruin type. I don’t see that on this team. 

I also expect IU to concede anywhere from 3-5 more goals this season. Yes, they have a great shutout streak going. Part of that is because they have an amazing defense. Part of it is luck. There is a lot of soccer left to be played, especially against good teams. Expecting not to concede at least one goal is a little ludicrous.

14 minutes ago, KB0 said:

Not sure where exactly I am “way wrong.” I watched the game too. I’ve been watching IU soccer for a long time.

Butler did sit their midfield back some and play through the front three. However, in the first half they controlled the midfield and commanded a large amount of possession. Their attacks were not from counters. 

Yes Toye and Dorsey both score goals. Dorsey is more of a 1v1 player than Toye, who can get a little too selfish at time. I’m talking about someone who is a clinical finisher with a killer instinct. A Zavaleta, Bruin type. I don’t see that on this team. 

I also expect IU to concede anywhere from 3-5 more goals this season. Yes, they have a great shutout streak going. Part of that is because they have an amazing defense. Part of it is luck. There is a lot of soccer left to be played, especially against good teams. Expecting not to concede at least one goal is a little ludicrous.

We can certainly differ and you are more than entitled to your opinion and I respect it but I disagree with you and stand by mine. I will say I have been as critical than you if not more so in past years so the fact that I am now so positive this year tells you what a change I have seen in this team compared to last few. However, as I said I certainly respect your opinion even though I disagree.

Most importantly just as I suspected our RPI stays parked right at 7 before the night and remained right there after tonight's result. Need to win our last 2 to work into top 5 and be in line for home field all the way to college cup (top 4 are guaranteed that).   

7 hours ago, Aaron said:

We can certainly differ and you are more than entitled to your opinion and I respect it but I disagree with you and stand by mine. I will say I have been as critical than you if not more so in past years so the fact that I am now so positive this year tells you what a change I have seen in this team compared to last few. However, as I said I certainly respect your opinion even though I disagree.

Most importantly just as I suspected our RPI stays parked right at 7 before the night and remained right there after tonight's result. Need to win our last 2 to work into top 5 and be in line for home field all the way to college cup (top 4 are guaranteed that).   

That's fair. I agree this is the most complete IU team, from back to front, that I've seen in a long time. Including the 2012 title team. I've had my doubts about Yeagley in the past, but he seems to have put the pieces together so far this season. A draw is nothing to be disappointed about when playing against a top-20 side on a turf surface. 

I've said it a few times, this defense gives IU a chance every time they step on the pitch. It's important come tournament time when many of the games end 1-0 or 2-1. Capturing a Big Ten regular season title would be huge. It's been too long since the last one and they're harder to win now with Maryland in the conference. This team is capable, just can't overlook Wisconsin in anticipation of MSU.