Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Should IU offer a "Sham" Academic Department in order to remain competitive for recruits?

Should IU offer a "Sham" Academic Department in order to remain competitive for recruits?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Should IU offer a "Sham" Academic Department in order to remain competitive for recruits?

• Yes
    • No

I really feel like its going to almost be a requirement now to have this set up.  Lets be honest there are currently tons of universities where Athletes aren't doing the work.  And theres always the risk that they can get caught and punished for this.  Now there is a blue print for how to do it and technically not be cheating more schools are going to set up official departments that serve as patsies for getting the kids eligible. 

It's a slippery slope for sure. If that's any other program besides UNC, there's a better chance it would've been punished. I'm of the mindset that IU should stretch the boundaries a bit, but I don't believe for one second that fake classes should be offered. That's really playing with fire

It's a slippery slope for sure. If that's any other program besides UNC, there's a better chance it would've been punished. I'm of the mindset that IU should stretch the boundaries a bit, but I don't believe for one second that fake classes should be offered. That's really playing with fire
The problem is the ncaa frauds will nail certain programs if they feel like it. Kentucky and unc will get a free pass always. Iu should be considered a cash cow so if they dont self report they are probably good. We just might have to outbid archies brother to get some of these guys. Blue chips is alive and well.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Prople called sampson a scumbag but in all reality phone calls vs academic fraud and paying players. Come on.

4 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

Prople called sampson a scumbag but in all reality phone calls vs academic fraud and paying players. Come on.

Yeah there's no way phone calls can be compared to academic fraud. Providing fake classes at an academic institution is the lowest point of integrity

I can't believe this even got 2 yes votes already.... I guess to each their own but I would be absolutely embarrassed as a fan & as an alum to have anything like that going on at IU. Maybe I am naive and we along with many others are already doing it but I sure hope not.

My parents have degrees from IU my mom has a bachelors degree, a masters degree, and a law degree. My father has a bachelors degree and a masters. My sister graduated from the IU School of Medicine all of which they take pride in. 

Edited by OliviaPope40

No thanks! My momma said "cheaters never win and winners never cheat!" (I don't think she paid close enough attention to the NCAA though)

Didn't UNC have some fallout with accreditation from this? I would pissed if I found out later that one of my degrees wasn't worth the paper it was printed on because the athletic department wanted to keep players eligible.

I went to college to play school not to play sports.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

No thanks! My momma said "cheaters never win and winners never cheat!" (I don't think she paid close enough attention to the NCAA though)

Didn't UNC have some fallout with accreditation from this? I would pissed if I found out later that one of my degrees wasn't worth the paper it was printed on because the athletic department wanted to keep players eligible.

I went to college to play school not to play sports.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think UNC Just got put under a year probation. No real consequences. 

I'm indifferent. The athletes I've had classes with rarely show up anyway. When they do they spend the entire class on their phones. One member of our basketball team (you'd never guess who) pulled his phone out during a final to look up answers, the teacher saw, and nothing happened. It's already a complete joke. 

10 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

Me calling him scum is more than just his (at the time) cheating while being on probation for cheating.  It's that his program was a disaster zone behind the scenes.

Me calling him scum is more than just his (at the time) cheating while being on probation for cheating.  It's that his program was a disaster zone behind the scenes.
Im not saying hes not its just other coaches are just as bad if not worse.

I agree wit you, and to add to this, as much as Sampson hurt us, I feel it could have gotten worse had it not been taken care of at the time. For whatever reason I’ve always felt the NCAA has had it out for IU and would dish out undeserving penalties because it was IU. Don’t think that Sampson wasn’t doing other things other than just texting players, I.e Eric Gordon

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

No, I don't support such an action.  However if there is any type of future NCAA violation (from the most incidental to severe), I suggest absolutely NO cooperation or information to the NCAA.  That's not to say no action should be take - the university should take appropriate actions and/or penalties but simply describe it as "done to prevent the appearance of impropriety".  No need to suffer greater punishment than other schools that have no integrity (I'm looking toward Chapel Hill) are subject to.