Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Should IU offer a "Sham" Academic Department in order to remain competitive for recruits?

Should IU offer a "Sham" Academic Department in order to remain competitive for recruits?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Should IU offer a "Sham" Academic Department in order to remain competitive for recruits?

• Yes
    • No

No, I don't support such an action.  However if there is any type of future NCAA violation (from the most incidental to severe), I suggest absolutely NO cooperation or information to the NCAA.  That's not to say no action should be take - the university should take appropriate actions and/or penalties but simply describe it as "done to prevent the appearance of impropriety".  No need to suffer greater punishment than other schools that have no integrity (I'm looking toward Chapel Hill) are subject to.

I would love this! Flip the bird to the NCAA and then suspend a coach for a few games on our own.

Note: I don't want IU to break any NCAA rules but if we did this is how I'd like it handled.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think sometimes people forget on these forums that the primary mission at universities is academic and not athletic. IU’s operating budget is around $3.5 billion, and it’s athletic budget only makes up about $100 million of that. You don’t jeopardize the university’s academic reputation for its athletics. It doesn’t make sense logically, ethically, or economically.

On 10/14/2017 at 5:19 PM, moyemayhem said:

I think sometimes people forget on these forums that the primary mission at universities is academic and not athletic. IU’s operating budget is around $3.5 billion, and it’s athletic budget only makes up about $100 million of that. You don’t jeopardize the university’s academic reputation for its athletics. It doesn’t make sense logically, ethically, or economically.

Don't think anybody forgets that. But the accreditation people didn't do anything to UNC. UNC didn't lose anything. A few million paid to lawyers. Which I'm sure the boosters were happy to help cover.