Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

Indiana vs. (17) Michigan Game Thread 11/14 12:00PM EST ABC

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

With what quarterback?   So many here are low on Lagow; and seems to want Ramsey.  He is not capable of running a pro style offense.  Michigan's defense is exceptional.  I know everyone's tired of being close, as am I; but so much needs to be taken into account.  Indiana's right there with some good teams.  Why does anyone get upset if Allen gets emotional??    We've been through Gerry DiNardo for the love of God.  Guy wants to be here and wants Indiana to do well.   Be thankful we have a good coach who wants to be HERE.

My comment was more in a general sense.

4 hours ago, Hoosier Guy said:

There's absolutely everything to be upset about. IU does this game after game and year after year. There's nothing to ever show for it. IU will always be a mediocre football program

yep...will never change....22...straight losses to Michigan.....lot of bad coaching hires have doomed IU FB forever.

11 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

Maryland is not good. Idk why you guys think that? 

They were until they lost their top two QB's. Virginia is a tougher game than that. You just have to wonder where the teams head will be at with a likely loss to Mich St next week sending us to 0-4 in conference. 

39 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

They were until they lost their top two QB's. Virginia is a tougher game than that. You just have to wonder where the teams head will be at with a likely loss to Mich St next week sending us to 0-4 in conference.

We were 0-6 in conference and had just had our hearts ripped out with the Michigan game two years ago and we still handled them at their place.

12 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

For all of you people who think we are EVER going to be Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, or whoever....or be able to beat those teams on a consistent basis; I wonder what's putting that thought in your head.   Those schools are college football blue bloods.  They get 100,000 people in their stadiums every weekend.    They always recruit top 10 classes in the country.  Why on Earth would you blame losing to them on coaching or "same old IU?"   

Indiana is Indiana.   Only for a few years during the Mallory era when the stars aligned properly were we able to compete with the likes of these schools.   You really believe coaching hires is the reason?   You really believe this is some kind of traditional weakness?  I've been going to Indiana football games for 40 years.  My dad took me when I was very small; and I can tell you with unequivocal confidence this brand of football is MILES better than some of what this program has put on the field. 

If some Rutgers basketball fan posted on their board how coaching hires and bad luck/poor decisions was the reason they rarely beat Indiana in basketball, you'd laugh at them.  I hate that Indiana's place in Big Ten football is middle of the pack; but it is.  Indiana got screwed being out in the best (without ANY question) division in all of college football.  There's nothing even close.  

Indiana will win 6-7 games this season.   We will go to a bowl game.  We have a defense that's at times struggled against the top teams in the country; but generally dominated the other teams.  We shut a team out last week for the first time since 1993, I think.  We are ranked #43 in Sagarin's poll BEFORE yesterday's game.  Our strength of schedule BEFORE yesterday was 22.  You think those are "normal" Indiana numbers, and our usual?   You're wrong.  Simple as that.  If you believe that, you're wrong.  

Before yesterday's game, our 3 losses are to teams rated #2, #4, and #17 in Sagarin's October 7 poll.  Where on Earth do you think Indiana belongs?  Sagarin's polls are as objective as polls can be.  Numbers are what numbers are.  Indiana is rated ahead of Nebraska.  Ahead of Iowa State who won at Oklahoma last week.  Ahead of Tennessee.  Purdue.  Colorado, Arizona State, Northwestern.  Boise State.  West Virginia.  Arkansas, Syracuse (you may have seen they won v Clemson Friday).    This is somehow not good enough?  I'd ask you why?   Why would Indiana Football, now in the company of the schools listed above, be expected to beat Michigan?  Especially given the players we had injured. 

Very recently, Indiana used to be in the company of MAC schools and weather vane teams.  Teams like Arkansas State; Bowling Green, Southern Miss, Eastern Michigan, Louisiana Monroe, Wyoming, UT San Antonio, etc.  That's our football history; or at least the lion's share of it.  What is driving the expectation that we all of a sudden deserve somehow to be among the elite programs in the country?   We struggle at the quarterback position.  We don't have a lot of depth, especially up front where it matters most; and we have a coach who has exactly 7 games under his belt and the only players who are "his" are true freshmen.  We're also coming off something of a controversial period when players complained of mistreatment; and we're STILL having success by the standards of this program.

Indiana is building depth.  It does not yet have that.  But we're competing (generally) with 3* kids against programs with 5* kids in the most physical game there is and you expect to beat them.  Why?  Based on what?   Indiana is the 4th/5th best team in the toughest division in college football; and has lost to the top 3; all of whom expect to play on New Year's Day; and two probably have a shot to play in the BCS games.  We are not in that company.  We're just not.  The schedule gets a lot easier now.  Let's see where we are in 6 weeks.

Preach. Amen

25 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

For all of you people who think we are EVER going to be Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, or whoever....or be able to beat those teams on a consistent basis; I wonder what's putting that thought in your head.   Those schools are college football blue bloods.  They get 100,000 people in their stadiums every weekend.    They always recruit top 10 classes in the country.  Why on Earth would you blame losing to them on coaching or "same old IU?"   

Indiana is Indiana.   Only for a few years during the Mallory era when the stars aligned properly were we able to compete with the likes of these schools.   You really believe coaching hires is the reason?   You really believe this is some kind of traditional weakness?  I've been going to Indiana football games for 40 years.  My dad took me when I was very small; and I can tell you with unequivocal confidence this brand of football is MILES better than some of what this program has put on the field. 

If some Rutgers basketball fan posted on their board how coaching hires and bad luck/poor decisions was the reason they rarely beat Indiana in basketball, you'd laugh at them.  I hate that Indiana's place in Big Ten football is middle of the pack; but it is.  Indiana got screwed being out in the best (without ANY question) division in all of college football.  There's nothing even close.  

Indiana will win 6-7 games this season.   We will go to a bowl game.  We have a defense that's at times struggled against the top teams in the country; but generally dominated the other teams.  We shut a team out last week for the first time since 1993, I think.  We are ranked #43 in Sagarin's poll BEFORE yesterday's game.  Our strength of schedule BEFORE yesterday was 22.  You think those are "normal" Indiana numbers, and our usual?   You're wrong.  Simple as that.  If you believe that, you're wrong.  

Before yesterday's game, our 3 losses are to teams rated #2, #4, and #17 in Sagarin's October 7 poll.  Where on Earth do you think Indiana belongs?  Sagarin's polls are as objective as polls can be.  Numbers are what numbers are.  Indiana is rated ahead of Nebraska.  Ahead of Iowa State who won at Oklahoma last week.  Ahead of Tennessee.  Purdue.  Colorado, Arizona State, Northwestern.  Boise State.  West Virginia.  Arkansas, Syracuse (you may have seen they won v Clemson Friday).    This is somehow not good enough?  I'd ask you why?   Why would Indiana Football, now in the company of the schools listed above, be expected to beat Michigan?  Especially given the players we had injured. 

Very recently, Indiana used to be in the company of MAC schools and weather vane teams.  Teams like Arkansas State; Bowling Green, Southern Miss, Eastern Michigan, Louisiana Monroe, Wyoming, UT San Antonio, etc.  That's our football history; or at least the lion's share of it.  What is driving the expectation that we all of a sudden deserve somehow to be among the elite programs in the country?   We struggle at the quarterback position.  We don't have a lot of depth, especially up front where it matters most; and we have a coach who has exactly 7 games under his belt and the only players who are "his" are true freshmen.  We're also coming off something of a controversial period when players complained of mistreatment; and we're STILL having success by the standards of this program.

Indiana is building depth.  It does not yet have that.  But we're competing (generally) with 3* kids against programs with 5* kids in the most physical game there is and you expect to beat them.  Why?  Based on what?   Indiana is the 4th/5th best team in the toughest division in college football; and has lost to the top 3; all of whom expect to play on New Year's Day; and two probably have a shot to play in the BCS games.  We are not in that company.  We're just not.  The schedule gets a lot easier now.  Let's see where we are in 6 weeks.

We're not expected to beat them but we have shown numerous times the past few years that we can hang with them. We've taken Michigan to overtime two of the past three years. We had a chance to tie Ohio State on the last play of the game a few years ago. We constantly get close but we can never get over the hump, and fans eventually are going to get tired of "close but not close enough." At some point you have to at least win one of those games. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We're not expected to beat them but we have shown numerous times the past few years that we can hang with them. We've taken Michigan to overtime two of the past three years. We had a chance to tie Ohio State on the last play of the game a few years ago. We constantly get close but we can never get over the hump, and fans eventually are going to get tired of "close but not close enough." At some point you have to at least win one of those games. 

At some point they will.   Yesterday was a good opportunity to be sure; but the reasons we didn't finish it had nothing to do with coaching or "same old IU."    We used to be competitive in 1 game like this every couple of years.  Now, we're generally competitive in all of them.  The score of the PSU game was not indicative of how competitive we were; nor was the OSU score.   IU is in a FAR  better place than we have been historically.

46 minutes ago, biteoftheapple said:

We have now been lectured! But tfuthfully, I do not see bowl game this year. I hope I am as wrong as possible.

Yeah because we don't have Maryland (down to 3rd and 4th string QB), Illinois (no offense and can't tackle), and Rutgers (dont really have anything besides running attack...won first big ten game under Chris ash yesterday against Illinois at illinois). But yeah we won't get 6 games. 

4 minutes ago, lucel15 said:

Yeah because we don't have Maryland (down to 3rd and 4th string QB), Illinois (no offense and can't tackle), and Rutgers (dont really have anything besides running attack...won first big ten game under Chris ash yesterday against Illinois at illinois). But yeah we won't get 6 games. 

I'm not going to say we will or won't get a bowl game. 

I think anybody being honest with themselves had us at 3-3 right now. And the path to a bowl game always included the back end of our big ten schedule. 

We have 4 winnable conference games left. Just have to win 3 of them. 

This team can win 7. The key word though is CAN. The ability is there. But is the coaching and execution there? We still have Illinois, Maryland, Rutgers and Purdue. Maybe we'll have an Iowa State like miracle and beat Michigan State. 

Iowa State like miracle would be beating Wisconsin. I definitely think if we play well we can beat MSU. I hope I’m not the only one on here expecting that but it should be competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Missed this game but got to listen to some of it on the radio while I was working. Nearly wrecked my van when Oakes kicked that FG to send it into OT. Had to go inside the office for just a minute and when I came back out the game was already over. So disappointing. But we should be used to this. This program is headed in the right direction so you have to believe at some point we're going to pull one of these program changing wins off. I really hope it's against Michigan.

3 hours ago, Crimson and Cream said:

Missed this game but got to listen to some of it on the radio while I was working. Nearly wrecked my van when Oakes kicked that FG to send it into OT. Had to go inside the office for just a minute and when I came back out the game was already over. So disappointing. But we should be used to this. This program is headed in the right direction so you have to believe at some point we're going to pull one of these program changing wins off. I really hope it's against Michigan.

I can't believe I haven't mentioned it yet!

I love Griffen Oakes.

Ramsey is young. I re watched the game. He makes some good read progressions in the passing department. Coaches need to tell him to keep the ball on read options. He had several reads that were way off and I think if he kept it, it's a 4-5 yard gain or more instead of a -2-1 yard run. also idk why I just realized this but we played Covington as an outside backer instead of inside and Willis made some bad reads coming up to fill on runs....he over pursued a lot. Probably played Covington on the outside due to his athletic ability. 

Ramsey is young. I re watched the game. He makes some good read progressions in the passing department. Coaches need to tell him to keep the ball on read options. He had several reads that were way off and I think if he kept it, it's a 4-5 yard gain or more instead of a -2-1 yard run. also idk why I just realized this but we played Covington as an outside backer instead of inside and Willis made some bad reads coming up to fill on runs....he over pursued a lot. Probably played Covington on the outside due to his athletic ability. 

I think I saw something that Covington was playing there and it was inferred that that it was out of position. I think he was playing there because Ball is hurt?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app