Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

Indiana vs. (17) Michigan Game Thread 11/14 12:00PM EST ABC

I believe Covington was there on "run downs" and against their "run packages".. at one point we had to call a TO defensively because we didn't sub correctly and Allen was livid. On "passing" downs Fields was in Husky position like he has been the past two games, and Covington was at his usual ILB spot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

Why even have subs for run and pass? It didn't help. Higdon ran for 200 yards and 3 TD's. Defensive line is WEAK as always. Can never get a push. The fact that our safeties are always leaders in tackles is an issue. Higdons best game was 12 carries for 65 yards against MSU. Before that 12 carries for 64 yards against Air Force. He had ran for 201 yards and 2 TD's in the previous FIVE games. Just pathetic to give up such an offensive showing to such a bad offensive team. 

Our two leading tacklers are LBs.. it would be top 3 if Ball wasn't hurt the last 3 games. Last 3 our top 3 were all LBs.. by a large margin. If it weren't for the 59yd run we held them to 211 on 43 carries.. not terrible. We held them to their second lowest season scoring total, and that's counting the OT. I don't understand how you could knock the defense after Saturday. Why would we sub vs. Run packages?.. well... someone who knows far more than I do thought that it was a good decision.. and holding them to 20pts in regulation pretty well proves that.

You can't just take out the 59 yards run. That happened because the defense didn't do their job. Fact is, they destroyed Indiana on the ground. The best game before that was 215 on 49 carries. We let a kid, who had 201 yards and 2 TD's on the year in 6 games on 45 carries, run for 200 yards and 3 TD's on 25 carries. The defense sucked on the run game against a team with a poor running game. We only allowed 58 passing yards. But gave up 271 on the ground. That isn't good no matter how you look at it. Third game now where a team has ran for 240+. Ohio State ran for 292, Georgia Southern for 242 and Michigan for 271. That isn't going to get it done. If teams are smart, they'll run it right at Indiana because the front line is weak as can be.

We didn't get destroyed on the ground.. we have up 20 pts lol you honestly don't know what you're talking about and it's obvious. Second lowest total all year.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We didn't get destroyed on the ground.. we have up 20 pts lol you honestly don't know what you're talking about and it's obvious. Second lowest total all year.

What?? 271 yards on the ground is a ton. 

What?? 271 yards on the ground is a ton. 

Not when you factor in 59 on one play 25 in OT.. and that's literally the only offense they got all day. No one watched that game and thought "oh gosh, UM just gashed us with their run game."

Our defense is very, very solid. My god.. we held them to under 60 passing yards.

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Not when you factor in 59 on one play 25 in OT.. and that's literally the only offense they got all day. No one watched that game and thought "oh gosh, UM just gashed us with their run game."

Our defense is very, very solid. My god.. we held them to under 60 passing yards.

You can't just factor out two huge run plays we gave up and say "oh well besides those two plays we were good." Those plays happened. 

You can't just factor out two huge run plays we gave up and say "oh well besides those two plays we were good." Those plays happened. 

You certainly can. That's how you breakdown film. You figure out what went wrong those two plays and fix it... the second one our CB and S didn't find the ball at all. The first one our DT flew up field and got trapped, which can't happen, and our LBers didn't read the play whatsoever, quite honestly they flat didn't read their keys whatsoever... that wasn't even a hard play to stop. Or shouldn't have been.

You can't just say, oh well we sucked so bad defensively look we have up 270 on the ground when in actuality, except for 2 plays our run D was very solid all day.

I don't quite understand this narrative that our D-Line is "weak as always" and our rushing defense is horrid.

True, our tackling was poor against Michigan. I'd like to see the missed tackles statistic because it had to be high. Higdon had a breakout game, for sure. That kid is a good RB.

But this notion that our defense could NEVER get a push was false. Was it inconsistent? You bet. Too much so. But we were in their backfield on numerous occasions last weekend, but could rarely finish the job. Look no further than HIgdon's run in OT. The D-Line got a GREAT push and broke up the play. I think it was Nate Hoff who pushed his man all into Higdon himself. Of course, they didn't finish the play, but it wasn't because there was no push by our D-Line.

Also, I know it's fun to cherry-pick stats, so let's be fair. We already mentioned the rushing yards we gave up against OSU, Ga. Southern (an option offense) and Michigan. But what about 5-1 Virginia? Held them to 55 yards. What about everyone's favorite Heisman candidate, Saquan Barkley? 56 yards on 20 carries, less than 3 yards per carry. We held Penn State as a whole to just 39 rushing yards. That's very good.

Let's not make things seem worse than reality...

50 minutes ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

I don't quite understand this narrative that our D-Line is "weak as always" and our rushing defense is horrid.

True, our tackling was poor against Michigan. I'd like to see the missed tackles statistic because it had to be high. Higdon had a breakout game, for sure. That kid is a good RB.

But this notion that our defense could NEVER get a push was false. Was it inconsistent? You bet. Too much so. But we were in their backfield on numerous occasions last weekend, but could rarely finish the job. Look no further than HIgdon's run in OT. The D-Line got a GREAT push and broke up the play. I think it was Nate Hoff who pushed his man all into Higdon himself. Of course, they didn't finish the play, but it wasn't because there was no push by our D-Line.

Also, I know it's fun to cherry-pick stats, so let's be fair. We already mentioned the rushing yards we gave up against OSU, Ga. Southern (an option offense) and Michigan. But what about 5-1 Virginia? Held them to 55 yards. What about everyone's favorite Heisman candidate, Saquan Barkley? 56 yards on 20 carries, less than 3 yards per carry. We held Penn State as a whole to just 39 rushing yards. That's very good.

Let's not make things seem worse than reality...

I think the bigger issue is our offense not giving our defense a break. We had both Ohio State and Mich bottled up in the running game for two-three quarters. However, the offense in both those games struggled time and time again to just get one first down on a drive. Our defense is fine. The issue this year has been offensive consistency and special teams. We have pretty much played our toughest games already outside of Wisconsin so would expect both facets to improve. Have to think we would be even better defensively too if we had Ball back there. 

I think the bigger issue is our offense not giving our defense a break. We had both Ohio State and Mich bottled up in the running game for two-three quarters. However, the offense in both those games struggled time and time again to just get one first down on a drive. Our defense is fine. The issue this year has been offensive consistency and special teams. We have pretty much played our toughest games already outside of Wisconsin so would expect both facets to improve. Have to think we would be even better defensively too if we had Ball back there. 

This. Our defense has bent great this year. Our offense is the defense’s largest weakness.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app