Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Dalton26

Indiana @ Penn State Official Game Thread 9/30 - 330 on BTN

On 10/2/2017 at 0:31 PM, ThompsonHoosier said:

Wait until Ramsey has a bad game...people will be asking for Lagow to come in. I hope we can get a big lead against Charleston Southern and give the starters some rest in the second half.

This will happen with either of them because they're both limited.   We have two different play packages, and neither can execute both of them.   What's the saying?  If you have 2 QB's, you really don't have 1?

On October 2, 2017 at 2:52 PM, LamarCheeks said:

As much as I hate to admit it, what happened Saturday -- and what has happened to IU football pretty much ever since the Bill Mallory years -- gave me a whole new appreciation for the late Joe Tiller. In his very first year with the Toiletmakers, after they were godawful for several years, they went 9-3. Essentially, he took a bunch of crappy players and found a way to win with them. And after that, he just kept on winning. In the five years before he arrived, they won 4, 1, 5, 4 and 3 games. Nothing against Tom Allen, but why can't we get a coach like that? Guess if they grew on trees, everybody would have them, eh? We get a new coach, wait for him to turn it around and when he doesn't, we start all over again. Maybe Allen will be a difference maker, but I'm not holding my breath. 

This is going to be coach allens 6th game and you're not holding your breath? He's turned around the defense. They haven't been what they were last year stats wise but penn state they played basically 4qtrs against a dynamic offense and held one of the best players down Besides one big screen and one big run. Other than that special teams led to the loss and inconsistency on offense. That's the thing with some fans they expect a new coach to turn the most losing school in ncaa D1 history around just like that... He's already doing well on recruiting front and they have attacked the future classes like no other as well. We just need some consistency from the head job or we will still be the Browns of the college ranks in terms of coaching and losing. Talk to everybody in the coaching world and they love what tom allen has already done and will continue to build in bloomington. I guess I just don't get the whole writing off of the season and or coach already this season and somewhat alluding to finding ourselves another coach to get players to play.... He's working with a bunch of 2star defensive players because wilson went for offensive stars and we had no defense. Our highest rated starter is Fant who was a low four star on sites. Other than that everyone else is as you say looked at as somewhat "crappy". Tom allen is the man and has got them to play and be a top talent to look at. as dinardo said IU is a 10 year turnaround. Wilson started it and Allen won't have to take 10 years now as He inherited a skilled team with some speed and players. As I was saying. Just don't get the writing off from people not just on here but all over the IU world after beating the teams we needed to beat and losing by depth and talent against OSU and then shooting ourselves in the foot on the road against a team we competed with after we Dug a nice hole in the first 8 mins in the first QTR. Rants over. 

3 hours ago, lucel15 said:

This is going to be coach allens 6th game and you're not holding your breath? He's turned around the defense. They haven't been what they were last year stats wise but penn state they played basically 4qtrs against a dynamic offense and held one of the best players down Besides one big screen and one big run. Other than that special teams led to the loss and inconsistency on offense. That's the thing with some fans they expect a new coach to turn the most losing school in ncaa D1 history around just like that... He's already doing well on recruiting front and they have attacked the future classes like no other as well. We just need some consistency from the head job or we will still be the Browns of the college ranks in terms of coaching and losing. Talk to everybody in the coaching world and they love what tom allen has already done and will continue to build in bloomington. I guess I just don't get the whole writing off of the season and or coach already this season and somewhat alluding to finding ourselves another coach to get players to play.... He's working with a bunch of 2star defensive players because wilson went for offensive stars and we had no defense. Our highest rated starter is Fant who was a low four star on sites. Other than that everyone else is as you say looked at as somewhat "crappy". Tom allen is the man and has got them to play and be a top talent to look at. as dinardo said IU is a 10 year turnaround. Wilson started it and Allen won't have to take 10 years now as He inherited a skilled team with some speed and players. As I was saying. Just don't get the writing off from people not just on here but all over the IU world after beating the teams we needed to beat and losing by depth and talent against OSU and then shooting ourselves in the foot on the road against a team we competed with after we Dug a nice hole in the first 8 mins in the first QTR. Rants over. 

Do you not know how to read? Go back and look at what I wrote. I said I have a whole new appreciation for what Joe Tiller did at Purdue. He came in and won right away, taking a bunch of low-star players he didn't recruit and winning nine games. Those same players won five games the previous two years combined. I'm sure people said it would take a long time to turn Purdue around -- Tiller didn't need a long time, or any time for that matter. We have not had a coach ever come in and have a season like that in his first year. Will Tom Allen? I hope so, but I can't imagine we will have nine wins by season's end. If we do, great. I just don't see it happening. 

Do you not know how to read? Go back and look at what I wrote. I said I have a whole new appreciation for what Joe Tiller did at Purdue. He came in and won right away, taking a bunch of low-star players he didn't recruit and winning nine games. Those same players won five games the previous two years combined. I'm sure people said it would take a long time to turn Purdue around -- Tiller didn't need a long time, or any time for that matter. We have not had a coach ever come in and have a season like that in his first year. Will Tom Allen? I hope so, but I can't imagine we will have nine wins by season's end. If we do, great. I just don't see it happening. 

Have you seen our schedule? If we can actually beat Michigan, which I now think may be possible since we’ve narrowed down to one quarterback, 9 wins is not that big of a stretch. It won’t be easy, but it’s definitely there to grab.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

On 10/2/2017 at 1:52 PM, LamarCheeks said:

As much as I hate to admit it, what happened Saturday -- and what has happened to IU football pretty much ever since the Bill Mallory years -- gave me a whole new appreciation for the late Joe Tiller. In his very first year with the Toiletmakers, after they were godawful for several years, they went 9-3. Essentially, he took a bunch of crappy players and found a way to win with them. And after that, he just kept on winning. In the five years before he arrived, they won 4, 1, 5, 4 and 3 games. Nothing against Tom Allen, but why can't we get a coach like that? Guess if they grew on trees, everybody would have them, eh? We get a new coach, wait for him to turn it around and when he doesn't, we start all over again. Maybe Allen will be a difference maker, but I'm not holding my breath. 

Don't look now but Jeff Brohm could be that next coach. i hate to admit it but what he has done with basically a doormat program for the last 10 or so years is very impressive considering he hasn't even brought in his own players yet. A lot of season left though.

As for Allen, I am still very excited about his prospects. He is the kind of coach that wants IU to be successfull so bad. My biggest concern through four games is the OC: Debord. He seems to be calling plays for Lamar Jackson. Remember, he had Josh Dobbs last year at Tenn and they put up a lot of points but he was a very athletic/mobile QB. I'd like to see Debord work in more shorter passes like slants, down and outs to get Ramsey's confidence up.

Wilson recruited really well for it being IU football. He brought in more offensive weapons than this program has seen in a long time. Defensively he got under the radar recruits that have played well under Allen. Can Allen follow and maybe even take recruiting to another level? If so, it's not going to be winning Indiana for recruits b/c Mich, ND are going nowehere and Purdue is on the rise. I'm hopeful he he will. A lot to like about the direction of the program. 

29 minutes ago, The Ola Depot said:

Have you seen our schedule? If we can actually beat Michigan, which I now think may be possible since we’ve narrowed down to one quarterback, 9 wins is not that big of a stretch. It won’t be easy, but it’s definitely there to grab.

Although I agree that the schedule is favorable it's IU football. I hate to say it like that but we are at a point where we are struggling to get over the hump in the big games. So close the last few years against OSU and last year against Mich.  The PSU game should have been much closer but he shot ourselves in the foot with special teams.  Wilson bridged the gap on getting constantly blown out to being competitive but we are stuck in the mud on that next step from going from 6-7 wins to 8-9 wins in a season. So 9 wins feels like a stretch for us. Outside of this weekend, the only games i feel relatively confident about are Rutgers at home and Illinois on the road. Every other game, we are going to have to play really well. I'm yet to see us do that for 4 quarters but it is still early in the season. Also, not sure on Maryland since they are down to their third QB. 

Although I agree that the schedule is favorable it's IU football. I hate to say it like that but we are at a point where we are struggling to get over the hump in the big games. So close the last few years against OSU and last year against Mich.  The PSU game should have been much closer but he shot ourselves in the foot with special teams.  Wilson bridged the gap on getting constantly blown out to being competitive but we are stuck in the mud on that next step from going from 6-7 wins to 8-9 wins in a season. So 9 wins feels like a stretch for us. Outside of this weekend, the only games i feel relatively confident about are Rutgers at home and Illinois on the road. Every other game, we are going to have to play really well. I'm yet to see us do that for 4 quarters but it is still early in the season. Also, not sure on Maryland since they are down to their third QB. 

Oh, I know. It’s definitely something I wouldn’t bet on. When you think about it though we haven’t really had a game that has told us anything, other than Virginia. Ohio State was just on another level, Georgia Southern was just awful, and, although I don’t think by as much as it seemed, Penn State was better too. I was very impressed with the Virginia game since I think they are more comparable to the majority of our opponents. But as you said before, we have the tendency to lose some games we should win so none are guaranteed. But I’m hoping that the team that played Virginia will show up the rest of the year.