Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

20 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Actions have consequences but only for poor people in your scenario. Not the rich people orchestrating the rule breaking. 

You could cut and paste that statement and apply it almost universally. I live in the very southwest part of Carmel, Indiana (thanks unwanted annexation) and kids in trouble here are treated vastly differently than kids living just ten miles to the south in Indianapolis. The same could be said for adults, see Jim Irsay case.

I do have to laugh a bit about this whole investigation.  Remember when this story broke last summer and we thought it was going to sent massive shockwaves throughout the CBB landscape?  That it would weed out all of the crooked programs and finally clean up the system since the NCAA is incapable of doing so?  Well, it looks like the only "victims" will be those who were involved in cheating the Treasury out of money - those who simply cheat on recruiting rules will go unscathed.  We should have known.
I knew nothing would change because nobody wants it to change. Sean Miller is coaching way with no consequences as if nothing ever happened. Sure Pitino finally went down but this was like his 5th strike. This whole thing is quietly being swept under the rug and it's back to business as usual. IU may as well join the party.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Thanks for the link.

My reaction is I'll believe it when I see it.  No confidence in the NCAA or Emmert at all (besides, he looks like that goofy Garrison Keillor).  I have 3 letters that express my profound doubt, Mr. Emmert: U-N-C

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:45 AM, pumpfake said:

Thanks for the link.

My reaction is I'll believe it when I see it.  No confidence in the NCAA or Emmert at all (besides, he looks like that goofy Garrison Keillor).  I have 3 letters that express my profound doubt, Mr. Emmert: U-N-C

Completely agree. UNC's sham was much worse than Louisville, Miami, SMU, etc. It invalidates their mission as an educational institution. They are nothing more then one of these fly by night prep "schools" that exist to sponge off the athletes. For the NCAA to reward that was despicable.

http://www.myajc.com/sports/college/peterson-expects-significant-changes-from-ncaa-basketball-commission/xNC5b1g9yOzAzoYJx6RoiO/

Informative article with some info on what the NCAA’s board of governors are currently working on to address certain policies/rules...

"Other subjects that the group is looking at are schools’ relationships with apparel companies, the influence of grassroots (or AAU) basketball and the place of agents and advisers in the game. The commission is expected to deliver a final briefing in April. At the NCAA convention last week, Emmert said “we have to have those changes in place by tipoff of next year.”

1 minute ago, Hutch89 said:

http://www.myajc.com/sports/college/peterson-expects-significant-changes-from-ncaa-basketball-commission/xNC5b1g9yOzAzoYJx6RoiO/

Informative article with some info on what the NCAA’s board of governors are currently working on to address certain policies/rules...

"Other subjects that the group is looking at are schools’ relationships with apparel companies, the influence of grassroots (or AAU) basketball and the place of agents and advisers in the game. The commission is expected to deliver a final briefing in April. At the NCAA convention last week, Emmert said “we have to have those changes in place by tipoff of next year.”

Always good to rush changes through

The NCAA is up against it with this FBI investigation and now the MSU investigation. They're trying to proof their worth but continue to fail. How can you expect corrupt individuals and structure to punish the hand that feeds them. I doubt it happens soon but there will come a day when the NCAA ceases to exist in its current form. I look forward to that day, maybe then the playing field will be leveled.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Here's an open letter to Condoleeza Rice from Mitch Daniels regarding the NCAA commission formed to look into basketball recruiting "concerns":

https://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/2018/02/02/daniels-good-luck-fixing-cesspool-ncaa-condoleezza-rice/302446002/

IMO, it's a well written, spot-on piece about the problems in the sport and the failure to do anything about it.  He addresses the NBA's involvement in the 1 and done rule as well.

I think it's really noteworthy that a former presidential cabinet member, governor, and sitting university president would write this - and even calls out UNC and their phony classes.  Definitely a worthwhile read and relevant to the subject of this thread.

Here's an open letter to Condoleeza Rice from Mitch Daniels regarding the NCAA commission formed to look into basketball recruiting "concerns":
https://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/2018/02/02/daniels-good-luck-fixing-cesspool-ncaa-condoleezza-rice/302446002/
IMO, it's a well written, spot-on piece about the problems in the sport and the failure to do anything about it.  He addresses the NBA's involvement in the 1 and done rule as well.
I think it's really noteworthy that a former presidential cabinet member, governor, and sitting university president would write this - and even calls out UNC and their phony classes.  Definitely a worthwhile read and relevant to the subject of this thread.

I'm sure we'll see pu play UNC in the B1G/ACC Challenge next season because $$$.

The whole situation is laughable. Why change when the current product is earning so much and nobody that can change it wants to see it change? The commission they formed to look into the matter is a joke. They virtually "meet" once a month and discuss matters. The NCAA chose Condeleeza and formed this committee for show. They're not serious about changing anything.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I'm sure we'll see pu play UNC in the B1G/ACC Challenge next season because $$$.

The whole situation is laughable. Why change when the current product is earning so much and nobody that can change it wants to see it change? The commission they formed to look into the matter is a joke. They virtually "meet" once a month and discuss matters. The NCAA chose Condeleeza and formed this committee for show. They're not serious about changing anything.

You are correct sir, as Ed McMahon used to say.  If more university presidents would speak out, maybe something could happen.  But, as you say, the bottom line is the dollar and the people that could throw the most influence are probably at the same schools that are among the biggest offenders.

Unbelievable new development if this story is true. 

The Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday morning that an FBI agent involved in the case in an undercover capacity is under criminal investigation for misappropriating money for drinking, gambling and eating. Ultimately, the Journal reported, it could compromise the FBI agent’s ability to serve as a witness for the prosecution.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-hoops-corruption-case-hits-snag-due-fbi-conflict-232134624.html

8 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

The Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday morning that an FBI agent involved in the case in an undercover capacity is under criminal investigation for misappropriating money for drinking, gambling and eating. Ultimately, the Journal reported, it could compromise the FBI agent’s ability to serve as a witness for the prosecution.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-hoops-corruption-case-hits-snag-due-fbi-conflict-232134624.html

Completely believable, and could mean a few things:

1. Could be an assertion from a defense attorney that is completely unfounded
  2. Could be generally true, but completely unrelated to the NCAA case (ie, another undercover assignment where the agent submitted questionable vouchers). If this was the case, it would effect that agent's ability to testify with credibility in all cases, but the recordings that agent made might be able to introduced without the undercover's witness stand testimony.
  3. Could be directly related to the NCAA case, which would be the most harmful, but as in possibility #2 above, could still be overcome.

Takeaway? These types of allegations happen when powerful, moneyed people are investigated, and in such matters the case investigative team is best served by being completely buttoned-up in all ways. Of course, human nature being what it is, sometimes members of an investigative team can do some damaging things. All of this interesting and potentially relevant, but like in many complex situations, the average reader can't discern the reality of what has and hasn't happened from a summary news account, even if that news account of the situation is accurate.

Well....

Crap.

Mark Schlabach‏Verified account @Mark_Schlabach

Sources tell ESPN as many as 3 dozen Division I basketball programs could face NCAA penalties once evidence of FBI probe is public. "It's not the mid-major programs who were trying to buy players to get to the top. It's the teams that are already there."

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Mark Schlabach‏Verified account @Mark_Schlabach

Sources tell ESPN as many as 3 dozen Division I basketball programs could face NCAA penalties once evidence of FBI probe is public. "It's not the mid-major programs who were trying to buy players to get to the top. It's the teams that are already there."

Good find, wish I could see that list.