Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

7 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

If it isn't too much trouble, could you do a quick summary in layman's terms? Like 1-2 sentences.

FBI involved in getting NCAA programs and/or shoe companies to illegally push money (via US Mail/wire services?) to recruits for a sting basically?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Not a bad two sentence summary.

It's a Financial  Crimes Section case, using Fraud Against the Government and basic federal fraud statutes.

AND (and this is critical):

Operations like this are not initiated, they are predicated.

4 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

https://twitter.com/JasonRileyWDRB/status/912684440144498688

How do you get full tweets to show up btw?

"There are wiretap recordings of conversations in this indictment."

Those are Jason Riley's words. "Wiretaps" can mean either a Title 3, or can be a general layman's term used to signify consensual recordings.

FWIW, consensual recordings are targeted to meetings that are attended by CWs or undercover agents, and are FAR, FAR more effective. 

And that's what we have here.

EDIT: Just saw another charging document re: Louisville and Bowen.

Looks like they predicated a Title 3, used the results to flip a handler, and used the handler's consensually recorded conversations to predicate the introduction of an undercover agent.

I'm still trying to digest the public documents; sorry for the evolving stream of updates.

Hahahahahahaha  BYE PITINO

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2017/06/06/louisville-basketball-rick-pitino-cards-loaded-length-athleticism/373875001/

"In my 40-some-odd years of coaching, this is the luckiest I’ve ever been," Pitino said. "I won the Kentucky Derby with my friend (Always Dreaming owner Anthony Bonomo) winning it, and now this is much better. My friend wouldn’t think so, but I do."

Though the Cards weren't considered contenders for Bowen at the time, Pitino watched Bowen last season in La Lumiere's rout of New Albany High School, which features top U of L 2018 target Romeo Langford. Pitino said he got a recent call from Bowen's AAU coach if the Cards would be interested in him, and clearly they were.

Pitino called Bowen "a great ball-handler, terrific passer, outstanding shooter and great scorer" who understands how to play the game.

Pitino described Bowen, who goes by the nickname "Tugs," as "like a 6-7½ -inch version of Luke Hancock, except a little better athlete."

"He’s a terrific young man," Pitino said. "He has terrific parents, and he won the national championship this year at the prep-school level and playing an unbelievable schedule. They beat the great team from Indiana who won the state championship by 25 or 30 points. He was one of their better basketball players, and I watched him play. It fell into our lap, and we got very lucky, and every once in a while, you need a little luck."

Makes you wonder..is Garland a part of this? Romeo? There is no way of knowing. Kids parents put on a persona all the time and people call them "a stand up" family.