Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

Creighton and TCU head coaches were smart enough to have an assistant do the dirty work

I think those programs were on the other end of it. (Assistants receiving money to push players leaving the program to certain agents. I don’t think they were involved in paying recruits to attend those schools. I could be completely wrong though.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

14 hours ago, JHoosier914 said:

Mark Gottfried directly linked to impermissible payments - Mark Schlabach

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

And there's the ACC school to take the fall for Dookie/UNC- (Uof6's issues stem back several conferences ago)

19 hours ago, mdn82 said:

It will probably take a few years, but I am guessing we get there with UL, Zona, and Kansas. I know people like to say nothing will happen to these schools. But deny, deny, deny only works when the NCAA is investigating. I think UL gets hammered. I think LSU gets hammered. I think KU and Zona will see a ban. But I think UL will get as close to a death penalty as you can get without shutting down a program. They already had issues with lack of institutional control. This is another instance. That’s when the NCAA actually does something. When issues occur more than once and they get caught.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah, I think the NCAA is fighting for its life here.  I will go a step further and say Louisville will get a death penalty and the other schools involved will get hammered as well.  The fact everybody knew this was going on and the regulatory body didn't catch it, or for monetary reasons, kept not finding is isn't good.  Since public funds go to these schools, lawmakers have their eye on this.  I'm not convinced the NCAA survives this.  Self regulation never works(this, stock market, banks), I think the end result is a new Federally Governed regulation arm and the NCAA is laid to rest.  I'm not sure this is the right answer, but, no way that lawmakers don't coral a Multi Billion dollar Industry under their "authority".

Just caught the end of the Auburn-Tennessee game. Seeing sweaty Bruce Pearl celebrating and carrying on just makes my skin crawl. As an assistant at Iowa, he loses Deon Thomas to Illinois, then records (maybe illegally) Thomas telling him he got an SUV and cash from the Illini. Sleazy, but hey, he got the Illini in trouble -- which is fine by me. 

But years later, he ends up at Tennessee -- and commits his own NCAA violations! Then while still under a show-cause penalty, he gets hired at Auburn, where he has an assistant who has been arranging payments for players. But of course, he knows nothing about that. 

Pearl reminds me a little of Kelvin Sampson. Both seem to be exceptional basketball coaches. But there's a huge slime factor involved. 

Remember when we were complaining about the potential problems with the AAU affiliation and bumper stickers. There was someone at the NCAA who tweeted out a comment meant to shut us up and linked some article that was full of errors as if that settled things? I can’t remember all the details but I was pretty sure she was an IU grad and was now all high and mighty at the NCAA.

She was like “duh of course IU should be penalized look this article says they did things.”

That told me all I needed to know about the NCAA and their ability to reason or investigate.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

The following isn't connected to the FBI investigation but it does  involve cheating at a number of schools.  Because it involved some Hollywood people, I first thought it was some kind of joke or parody, but it does appear that the story is true as both ABC and NBC have released stories.

https://abc7news.com/actresses-ceos-charged-in-alleged-college-admissions-scam/5186103/

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/feds-uncover-massive-college-entrance-exam-cheating-plot-n982136

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

The following isn't connected to the FBI investigation but it does  involve cheating at a number of schools.  Because it involved some Hollywood people, I first thought it was some kind of joke or parody, but it does appear that the story is true as both ABC and NBC have released stories.

https://abc7news.com/actresses-ceos-charged-in-alleged-college-admissions-scam/5186103/

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/feds-uncover-massive-college-entrance-exam-cheating-plot-n982136

Just read the indictment; it's quite the awesome 'turn-about' from what high-level D1 athletics have been into. It appears to go like this:

• Big $, high achieving kid wants to get into high-level academic institution but doesn't quite make the grade. 
  • For a large bribe, the university pretends that the kid is an athlete and gets them in on an athletic preference, even though the kid can't actually play the sport.

Just another, but opposite version of collegiate stupid human tricks.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Just read the indictment; it's quite the awesome 'turn-about' from what high-level D1 athletics have been into. It appears to go like this:

• Big $, high achieving kid wants to get into high-level academic institution but doesn't quite make the grade. 
  • For a large bribe, the university pretends that the kid is an athlete and gets them in on an athletic scolly, even though the kid can't actually play the sport.

Just another, but opposite version of collegiate stupid human tricks.

Felicity Huffman just happens to be married to Jerry Lundegaard. He wouldn't take part in any malfeasance, would he? Yer darn tootin!

DyAl16KUcAEFp2v.thumb.jpg.0c478fa2c481f9af5282c75447daf36e.jpg

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Aunt Becky NOOO. She was literally my first crush