Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

Classic NCAA. Pounce on Zona while the sacred cows go unharmed.

I am pretty sure this is separate from the investigation. Them and Louisville are going to hurt. I don’t see Kansas getting much. Honestly I got Louisville taking the brunt of this. They were already on probation before this. I think they get a multi year tournament ban, reduction in scholarships, and drastically cut recruiting ban. If I were a betting man that’s what I think they get. I think Zona gets a one year ban and reduction in scholarships. I also think Sean Miller will get it the worst of any active coach. Maybe a full season ban or something like that. I think Pitino gets a five year show cause. That’s a lot of predictions, but it will be interesting. I don’t see any way these schools go unpunished.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I am pretty sure this is separate from the investigation. Them and Louisville are going to hurt. I don’t see Kansas getting much. Honestly I got Louisville taking the brunt of this. They were already on probation before this. I think they get a multi year tournament ban, reduction in scholarships, and drastically cut recruiting ban. If I were a betting man that’s what I think they get. I think Zona gets a one year ban and reduction in scholarships. I also think Sean Miller will get it the worst of any active coach. Maybe a full season ban or something like that. I think Pitino gets a five year show cause. That’s a lot of predictions, but it will be interesting. I don’t see any way these schools go unpunished.

While Huckleberry Hound looks on whistling Dixie with a long piece of grass stuck between the gap in his teeth! NCAA enforcement is inherently lazy. Only does what it has too when it’s hand is forced. Backs down when pushed and taken to the mat. Hope you’re right, and that all caught up in this with any egg on their face have to pay the piper. Right now, my money is just on AZ.

37 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I will say down in this area (near Louisville) the feeling is pretty much that the worst is over... None of the coaches or assistants are left, none of the players are left, the president is gone, the banner is gone, they have been on scholarship reductions...

Yes not all of this is FBI related but the punishments happening concurrently is basically the argument.

I will say down in this area (near Louisville) the feeling is pretty much that the worst is over... None of the coaches or assistants are left, none of the players are left, the president is gone, the banner is gone, they have been on scholarship reductions...
Yes not all of this is FBI related but the punishments happening concurrently is basically the argument.

I believe that’s normal though. We thought when Sampson quit it was over here too. I keep seeing how lazy the enforcement is. I think people forget it’s not laziness. It’s lack of ability to prove wrongdoing or get people to talk. They have the FBI doing their work for them. Coaches can’t lie against wire taps or court entered statements. All a coach had to say to compliance prior is I don’t want to talk to you. I provided the minimum. The reason Louisville isn’t close to done is they lied to investigators. That’s where we got hammered. Except we had to change a culture. With Pitino “retired” I think they drop the show cause penalties on him and give them a couple of years. Miller on the other hand has lied multiple times to investigators and on tv. Then he has assistants getting fired and pleading guilty. I think they make an example of a top not elite program. I just can’t see the hammer dropped on Kansas.

Well that just makes my blood boil all over again....

This doesn’t surprise me. I believe some on here have been all over this for awhile. I’m more shocked that coaches left evidence in text messages about it than it was happening. I guess they thought they were just up against the paper tiger NCAA and not the FBI.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Preliminary notifications have been sent out to representatives of both Arizona basketball coach Sean Miller and LSU basketball coach Will Wade that they will be subpoenaed for the April 22 federal basketball corruption trial, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports. These notifications are essentially a courtesy to avoid a public spectacle for the coaches, like getting served in the midst of a game or a practice.  Full story at link below.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-arizonas-sean-miller-lsus-will-wade-notified-will-subpoenaed-federal-hoops-corruption-trial-180149786.html

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Preliminary notifications have been sent out to representatives of both Arizona basketball coach Sean Miller and LSU basketball coach Will Wade that they will be subpoenaed for the April 22 federal basketball corruption trial, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports. These notifications are essentially a courtesy to avoid a public spectacle for the coaches, like getting served in the midst of a game or a practice.  Full story at link below.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-arizonas-sean-miller-lsus-will-wade-notified-will-subpoenaed-federal-hoops-corruption-trial-180149786.html

Puts these coaches potentially in a VERY difficult position. This is how the chess match works:

• One's 5th Amendment rights allow individuals to not testify when that testimony could incriminate them. 
  • Sean Miller and Will Wade will have very good attorneys, who will not allow their clients to incriminate themselves under oath.
  • However, the federal government can completely eliminate that right against self-incrimination by granting Wade and Miller testimonial immunity. This is usually done after an immunized "Queen for a Day" interview, during which the government issues immunity for the interview to get a sneak preview of the witness's information.
  • Immunized court testimony cannot be used against them in a criminal matter, but can be used in an employment or regulatory proceeding (i.e.; by the NCAA or their university administration).
  • And, if they lie under oath, including when immunized, they can be prosecuted for criminal perjury and that immunized testimony may then be used against them in its entirety.

Are they boxed in? Maybe; if

1. The prosecutors are willing to grant testimonial immunity,
  2. Their truthful testimony would ruin their careers, and
  3. They aren't willing to risk criminal perjury charges to save themselves.

44 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

And there is typically a public perception that if one exercises their 5th amendment rights it's because they have something to hide.  Rightly or wrongly as that may be.

Given what I know about the case, it seems that these two coaches are not subjects or targets, and therefore would be immunized and thereafter have no 5th amendment rights to exercise.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Given what I know about the case, it seems that these two coaches are not subjects or targets, and therefore would be immunized and thereafter have no 5th amendment rights to exercise.

But if they admitted something wouldn’t the NCAA basically have to consider thinking about pondering the possibility of slapping them on the wrist. 

26 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

It all depends on if they self reported. I’m sure they could admit it in court, not self report, and be just fine.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

NCAA - “We see here you admitted to providing impermissible benefits in open Court”

Wade - “Nope I was committing perjury, I would never do such a thing”

NCAA - “Oh wow sorry for wasting your time, oh btw on our way in one of your athletes Lambos got a ding from a careless driver. You should divert some education money to a private garage”