Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

41 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Love this ...

I don’t know him,” Rod Hampton told ZAGSBLOG of Dawkins.

“I heard his name a lot, but I’ve never met him,” Rod Hampton, the player’s father, told ESPN. “I’m taking my @$$ to work everyday to make ends meet. I haven’t found the land of milk and honey yet, and I probably won’t find it anytime soon.”

Ray Spalding. Lol. That recruitment had to sink Creans heart.

Cream treated him like a #1 target all July only to have Spalding verbal to Louisville moments later.

Too bad Adidas didn’t like Crean and Indiana. (Or more reasonably/possibly that Crean wasn’t playing the game).

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Ray Spalding. Lol. That recruitment had to sink Creans heart.

Cream treated him like a #1 target all July only to have Spalding verbal to Louisville moments later.

Too bad Adidas didn’t like Crean and Indiana. (Or more reasonably/possibly that Crean wasn’t playing the game).

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I don't know, I recall Crean gave the one Addidas dude a big ole hug the way it sounded.  :103:

On 11/7/2018 at 12:00 PM, HoosierCoop said:

Bumper stickers - 9 game suspension

impermissible phone calls - scholarship

FBI investigation that cost $$$ in court, investigations, etc. where millions of dollars have been filtered through shoe companies to players that ensure they are going to play for a certain team that the coach plays stupid like they didn't know what was going on - 3 game suspension

Though this is supposed to be a joke, I hope that you aren't right Aloha! 

Serious Question... Why does IU self immolate and get the death penalty over minor allegations and nothing happens to any of the other blue bloods?

Serious Question... Why does IU self immolate and get the death penalty over minor allegations and nothing happens to any of the other blue bloods?
I think on the sampson ordeal iu self imposed and ncaa just agreed. The 9 games was crap but the 2 players ended up being non factors and didnt need them that season anyhow

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I think on the sampson ordeal iu self imposed and ncaa just agreed. The 9 games was crap but the 2 players ended up being non factors and didnt need them that season anyhow

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

For some reason, a lot of our fans seem to think the NCAA hammered us for the phone calls, when all they did was give us three years probation. We dug our own graves on that one. The nine games for bumper stickers was crap, but that's just another example of what spineless disciplinarians do when their incompetence prevents them from being able to get the goods on someone else.

24 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

For some reason, a lot of our fans seem to think the NCAA hammered us for the phone calls, when all they did was give us three years probation. We dug our own graves on that one. The nine games for bumper stickers was crap, but that's just another example of what spineless disciplinarians do when their incompetence prevents them from being able to get the goods on someone else.

Bingo - we weren't hammered. Crean dismissed players from the program and was able to buy himself close to a half decade before building a good team by using PR tactics.

BTW - we're a top 25 team in Archie's 2nd year here, and let me tell you, the cupboard was pretty bare when he came in last year.

Edited by Hoosier987

12 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Bingo - we weren't hammered. Crean dismissed players from the program and was able to buy himself close to a half decade before building a good team by using PR tactics.

BTW - we're a top 25 team in Archie's 2nd year here, and let me tell you, the cupboard was pretty bare when he came in last year.

I attended IU from 2009-2013 so don't have reference for what happened. Did the NCAA cause us to lose scholarships? Did Crean kick off players or force players to transfer? How much was Crean's doing, how much was from self punishment, and how much was the NCAA's doing in regards to what happened to the program?

Also how was it even possible for Crean to only post a 2 game win improvement from year 2 to 3? He won less big ten games (3) in year 3 than he did in year 2 (4). Its almost like a child milking an injury because he's getting special attention

46 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I attended IU from 2009-2013 so don't have reference for what happened. Did the NCAA cause us to lose scholarships? Did Crean kick off players or force players to transfer? How much was Crean's doing, how much was from self punishment, and how much was the NCAA's doing in regards to what happened to the program?

Also how was it even possible for Crean to only post a 2 game win improvement from year 2 to 3? He won less big ten games (3) in year 3 than he did in year 2 (4). Its almost like a child milking an injury because he's getting special attention

I attended IU from '07-'11 so my graduating class witnessed the worst 4 year basketball winning percentage out of any graduating class - unless you graduated in 3 years from '08-'11. If I recall correctly, Ellis and Thomas were asked not to come back, Eric Gordon left for the NBA, DJ white left for the NBA (he had a year left of eligibility due to a medical red shirt) and people like Jordan Crawford simply transferred out. Also, if you recall, we had a helluva a recruiting class coming in -- which included Tu Hollewell -- who decided to open up his recruitment and ultimately chose Xavier to team up with Crawford and Devin Ebanks who also chose not to come to IU and ultimately signed with West Virginia...however Pritchard and Elston (both committed under Sampson) came to IU. 

Yes - imo Crean milked this process and was excellent in buying time with his savvy pr.  This is all speculation, but I have a hunch that if Archie Miller occurred 10 years ago we wouldn't have seen the mass exodus or incoming recruits going elsewhere (after all Archie was able to keep Crean's last recruiting class all in place) like we did with Crean and that our rebuilding job would've been much quicker. Imo, i think a lot of it was self-inflicted.

Edited by Hoosier987

The problem with the NCAA is Mark Emmert. 

I truly feel you could plug and play any person and the result is the same. It’s not the person in charge but the institution itself. It’s an antiquated concept that is no longer realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Didn’t we lose a scholarship or two also?

Personally? I think that Louisville is going to get truly and completely hammered by the NCAA. 

Honestly? I think they are the “name” team that gets an example made out of them. Like they already took their title. Only thing left is the Death Penalty. Imo I could see them take it and a Kansas get probation and scholarships. At most Kansas only misses one tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app