Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

59 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

IMG_1537241822.205028.jpgnobody gives a flying fluff

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I know the FBI is involved in the legal aspect of things but when the organization (NCAA)  handing out penalties is corrupt to the very core the should really be no expectation of change. 

Two things about this charade of recruiting violations:
1.  Even in the rare instance when the NCAA investigates and acts on recruiting violations, it's so long after the infractions occurred that their "punishments" have little effect or deterrent on the offending school.

2. It seems the CBB world acts as if the sanctions UL received were for what happened with the FBI related cheating.  Same goes for the UL fans and recruits - as if cheating Ricky resigning is enough to erase their sins.

The FBI investigation will only affect those who were breaking tax law.  The feds have no interest or jurisdiction in enforcing recruiting rules.  The NCAA has jurisdiction but also has no interest in enforcing recruiting violations (particularly if it concerns one of the more popular teams).

I know this is just "preaching to the choir", but I had to say it.

It's like Indiana has set the blueprint for how to horribly screw these things up. First, the Knight firing and then subsequently letting the players hire the next coach instead of going out and getting the best coach for the job, and then the entire Sampson debacle from start to finish. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

It's like Indiana has set the blueprint for how to horribly screw these things up. First, the Knight firing and then subsequently letting the players hire the next coach instead of going out and getting the best coach for the job, and then the entire Sampson debacle from start to finish. 

And don't forget self-reporting NCAA violations.  That one's a big no-no.

32 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

And don't forget self-reporting NCAA violations.  That one's a big no-no.

Absolutely! I meant that to be included in the all-encompassing "entire Sampson debacle". Self-reporting and working with the NCAA against yourself is the dumbest thing you can do, and of course, IU did it. 

Being a iu fan anymore is laughing at a bunch of blatant obvious cheaters who are winning games and hanging banners while were stuck wondering why we cant win games just over 10 years removed from our ridiculous sanctions for nothing. We are viewed as cheaters now so may as well start competing again and winning games. I dont like cheating but is it even cheating if nobody enforces the rules?

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

Sean Miller went from almost being fired to landing 5 stars again. Arizona will receive zero penalties. Bank it.

Two things about this charade of recruiting violations:
1.  Even in the rare instance when the NCAA investigates and acts on recruiting violations, it's so long after the infractions occurred that their "punishments" have little effect or deterrent on the offending school.
2. It seems the CBB world acts as if the sanctions UL received were for what happened with the FBI related cheating.  Same goes for the UL fans and recruits - as if cheating Ricky resigning is enough to erase their sins.

The FBI investigation will only affect those who were breaking tax law.  The feds have no interest or jurisdiction in enforcing recruiting rules.  The NCAA has jurisdiction but also has no interest in enforcing recruiting violations (particularly if it concerns one of the more popular teams).
I know this is just "preaching to the choir", but I had to say it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

I said right after it happened people were delusional to think anything would change. It business as usual folks. The ncaa is very corrupt. Heck I would not even be surprised is these assistants all walk.

And to think -- we got 3 years of probation because of text messages. Friggin' text messages! 

9 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

I said right after it happened people were delusional to think anything would change. It business as usual folks. The ncaa is very corrupt. Heck I would not even be surprised is these assistants all walk.

THIS is the root of the problem. They simply do not care as long as the $$ keeps rolling in.

15 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

And to think -- we got 3 years of probation because of text messages. Friggin' text messages! 

Probably really isn't even a punishment. The only reason it even mattered for us was because Tom Crean "forgot what day it was" while visiting a recruit he was desperate to land during a no-contact period.

Those federal criminal trials will happen, and those who have been indicted have got a problem.

But, the Department of Justice is in the business of charging violations of federal criminal statutes, not enforcing recruiting violations; that's the NCAA's job, and they don't seem especially motivated.

7 minutes ago, biteoftheapple said:

I thought I read that Justice Dept asked the NCAA to let the proceedings cardy out without them getting involved. Not sure.

It would be logical for the feds to request that potential witnesses not make additional statements which could conflict with trials pending.

Both the NCAA and lawyers for witnesses would accede to that request.