Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

So funny. So sad...

What’s sad is the mountains of evidence the sport is an absolute cesspool but the NCAA throws a couple mil at big names to form a commission to give them ideas that are total BS. The NCAA doesn’t want it cleaned up they want it to go away. The sport at this level will be this way until programs that are cleaner than others decide that they’re through playing on such an uneven field.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

What’s sad is the mountains of evidence the sport is an absolute cesspool but the NCAA throws a couple mil at big names to form a commission to give them ideas that are total BS. The NCAA doesn’t want it cleaned up they want it to go away. The sport at this level will be this way until programs that are cleaner than others decide that they’re through playing on such an uneven field.

This is precisely why I’ve been the way I’ve been regarding recruiting.

Can we beat teams with better players (higher rated players)? Sure. Will we ever do it consistently with Archie? Not likely.

I’ve known how dirty this whole game is for so long. I think many had their head in the sand regarding recruiting. It’s been frustrating.

I’m slowly losing faith in the whole thing. Archie will have to show me something soon to regain faith again. Glass’ words in the coach search and expectations for the program are ringing hollow.

Look no further for how messed up the NCAA is than a DIII school having a banner taken away for "looking out for the well being of a player after injury".  We're not talking about thousands of dollars or caught on an FBI wiretap or paid for hookers for recruits and current players.  Or housing expectations from Zion's dad.  No a player that had knee surgery to keep her from going up and down steps and having her stay until recuperated. 

Moss lived cost-free with a former part-time assistant coach, Jerry Allen, while recuperating from March 2014 knee surgery. The housing arrangement - ruled an impermissible extra benefit by the NCAA  - started in April 2014 and continued for the rest of the calendar year, according to the NCAA report.

According to the NCAA report, Moss lived alone in an upstairs, off-campus apartment and both she and Allen "had concerns about her physical limitations [after surgery]. They were also worried about the safety of the neighborhood."

Moss' mother stayed with her for about a week, and Moss stayed briefly with a friend before returning to her apartment, the NCAA report says. Then she moved into Allen's house.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/kenton-county/crestview-hills/ncaa-imposes-penalties-on-thomas-more-college-womens-basketball-program

Edited by seihoosier

Series of tweets from Adam Zagoria‏Verified account @AdamZagoria 
In an FBI-recorded video shown to the jury today Christian Dawkins quoted Sean Miller about making payments to Deandre Ayton during his recruitment:  ‘I’m taking care of everything myself. I wanna bring you in. I’ll turn over everything to you.’
Marty Blazer testified :  ‘I understood that to mean he had been taking care of payments for Deandre Ayton. Sean Miller was taking care of everything for Deandre Ayton and his family.’
Dawkins on the FBI video: ‘’Sean Miller has to know everything that goes on. I can call Sean and have a conversation like this is what’s going on. He’ll talk on the phone about stuff he shouldn’t talk on the phone about.’
Dawkins on the FBI video: ‘Rick Pitino May be the only person who doesn’t know what’s going on’
Dawkins on video on paying Book Richardson : ‘Like a Book, that makes sense to give him four grand a month because he’s got the No. 1 pick - every year they got a Top-10 pick’

There’s no proof Dawkins made contact with all these guys but he was targeting them to funnel him players. Many other schools listed too.
A screenshot of a Christian Dawkins text entitled ‘These are my guys’ had Sean Miller and Book Richardson listed first. The list also included Rick Pitino, Tom Izzo, Will Wade, Marvin Menzies and Kevin Keatts
Dawkins atty Steve Haney said since government brought up conversations between Dawkins and Sean Miller, he will file a motion Thursday morning to have Judge Ramos reconsider ruling that barred Miller from being called to testify for the defense.

Arizona is sticking with Miller as of now. That's how the big boys operate but at IU Sampson is cut lose for something not even close to what Miller is accused of.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

This is precisely why I’ve been the way I’ve been regarding recruiting.

Can we beat teams with better players (higher rated players)? Sure. Will we ever do it consistently with Archie? Not likely.

I’ve known how dirty this whole game is for so long. I think many had their head in the sand regarding recruiting. It’s been frustrating.

I’m slowly losing faith in the whole thing. Archie will have to show me something soon to regain faith again. Glass’ words in the coach search and expectations for the program are ringing hollow.

This year three is make or break for Archie I think. Anything less than an NCAA berth and things will get real ugly.

Tulsa and East Carolina were never in apparent danger, though. Code caught on wiretap saying: “We’re not going to do a lot to help Tulsa” and ECU. Also says, “You lose Kansas or Indiana, it’s a big deal.”

For those that said IU isn’t mentioned with the blue bloods anymore. Lol didn’t mention IU when Tulsa or East Carolina.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

New names being mentioned include Marvin Bagley and Zion Williamson.    Here's a teaser paragaph:  “…Duke, UNC and Kentucky will have people in place to pay whatever’s necessary for Zion Williamson,” Blazer said, per Norlander. “Whatever Zion Williamson’s family needed, we would be able to step in and [help with money] if it was close.”

But of course according to Pious Coach K, there's nothing to see here.   lol

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Zion-Williamson-Marvin-Bagley-Duke-basketball-Clemson-FBI-college-basketball-case-131514901/

New names being mentioned include Marvin Bagley and Zion Williamson.    Here's a teaser paragaph:  “…Duke, UNC and Kentucky will have people in place to pay whatever’s necessary for Zion Williamson,” Blazer said, per Norlander. “Whatever Zion Williamson’s family needed, we would be able to step in and [help with money] if it was close.”
But of course according to Pious Coach K, there's nothing to see here.   lol
https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Zion-Williamson-Marvin-Bagley-Duke-basketball-Clemson-FBI-college-basketball-case-131514901/

Some powerful stuff but you have untouchables involved like coach K And Calipari. I assume the NCAA has already decided to turn the other cheek. And whatever happened to the Louisville scandal? Seems nothing on that either.

Some powerful stuff but you have untouchables involved like coach K And Calipari. I assume the NCAA has already decided to turn the other cheek. And whatever happened to the Louisville scandal? Seems nothing on that either.

Yep, coach k could be standing at the ncaa headquarters handing money to Zion and they still wouldn’t touch him.

Duke does what they do. They have resources. UNC is UNC. Cheaters win in big time college athletics. That’s why IU hasn’t won in 20 years and why we will continue to not win. Unless we do what everyone else does. Indiana has the resources too.
Yep.

16 hours ago, schoosier said:

Duke does what they do. They have resources. UNC is UNC. Cheaters win in big time college athletics. That’s why IU hasn’t won in 20 years and why we will continue to not win. Unless we do what everyone else does. Indiana has the resources too.

We all know the NCAA doesn't care in the least.  If the governing body doesn't care why should the member institutions?  Frankly, I want a level playing field; although I'd prefer the NCAA do it's job in the first place.

24 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

We all know the NCAA doesn't care in the least.  If the governing body doesn't care why should the member institutions?  Frankly, I want a level playing field; although I'd prefer the NCAA do it's job in the first place.

People whine that the NCAA can’t investigate but that’s by design. You could easily structure the NCAA to better assist in oversight. Phones and computers could be the property of the NCAA instead of the individual schools. Yes they could still get around it but it would still require a small amount of effort 

@MattNorlander sending out a lot of tweets today from the trial. One of the more interesting ones.

In a call b/w Sood and Dawkins on 6.2.17 there is reference to the recruitment of player — who has not been identified — and Dawkins says, "I mean, because I talk to Sean. Sean's the one who fronted that deal. So it's gonna be some money but I mean, we'll figure it out.

Also on tape, Richardson says LSU coach Will Wade offered him a job to help with recruitment of Naz Reid. Per Richardson, Wade said, “look, there’s a deal in place. I got $300,000 for him.” Richardson, “I said, give me half and I’ll make sure the kid goes there.”

Also on tape, Richardson says LSU coach Will Wade offered him a job to help with recruitment of Naz Reid. Per Richardson, Wade said, “look, there’s a deal in place. I got $300,000 for him.” Richardson, “I said, give me half and I’ll make sure the kid goes there.”

Damn, $300,000 for Naz Reid. It makes you wonder what Williamson went for.