Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

Dumbest thing we could've done there.  The NCAA is borderline incompetent, don't do their job for them; you'll just end up screwing yourself.  RMK had no chance of making it through "zero tolerance" in the first place.
IU needs a new administration, period.  Sports shouldn't be top priority for an administration, but understand the role they play; don't be negligent at best and actively hampering at worst.

To be fair, this is accurate in hindsight. I don’t know that serious precedent had really been set back then. It’s very clear now having watched all of these scandals that you deny deny deny.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The NCAA is FINALLY taking concrete action on a big name school that deserves punishment!
https://deadspin.com/ncaa-punishes-cal-poly-basketball-for-giving-student-at-1834168620

Literally never report. Why do schools even report anything?

30 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The NCAA is FINALLY taking concrete action on a big name school that deserves punishment!

https://deadspin.com/ncaa-punishes-cal-poly-basketball-for-giving-student-at-1834168620

In fairness you would never catch Louisville, UNC, UK or KU giving kids money FOR TEXTBOOKS.

Hookers, Cocaine, Italian sports cars, machine guns and contraband exotic animals? Of course, but never books. 

Judge Ramos ruled this morning that Sean Miller and Will Wade do not have to testify in next week’s FBI trial.  He granted the government’s motion to preclude them from testifying.

Question of whether Arizona men's coach Sean Miller paid his players is "irrelevant" to bribery charges against former hoops consultants Christian Dawkins and Merl Code, NYC federal judge says.

Judge Edgardo Ramos reserved the right to change his mind but it doesn't look like jury will hear recordings of Miller or see him testify

This from the defense attorney:   ‘The evidence establishes very clearly that Sean Miller is paying players at Arizona,’ defense attorney Steve Haney said in this morning’s hearing. He told reporters afterwards ‘You’ll have to be here to hear the evidence’.  ‘There are 2 head coaches that are engaged in systematic cheating at the highest level,’ Haney said in relation to Sean Miller and Will Wade.

I'd like a couple of our btb attorneys to weigh in on Haney's statements which seem to be pretty unequivocal.  Is he hoping they'll sue him for slander?

31 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Judge Ramos ruled this morning that Sean Miller and Will Wade do not have to testify in next week’s FBI trial.  He granted the government’s motion to preclude them from testifying.

Question of whether Arizona men's coach Sean Miller paid his players is "irrelevant" to bribery charges against former hoops consultants Christian Dawkins and Merl Code, NYC federal judge says.

Judge Edgardo Ramos reserved the right to change his mind but it doesn't look like jury will hear recordings of Miller or see him testify

This from the defense attorney:   ‘The evidence establishes very clearly that Sean Miller is paying players at Arizona,’ defense attorney Steve Haney said in this morning’s hearing. He told reporters afterwards ‘You’ll have to be here to hear the evidence’.  ‘There are 2 head coaches that are engaged in systematic cheating at the highest level,’ Haney said in relation to Sean Miller and Will Wade.

I'd like a couple of our btb attorneys to weigh in on Haney's statements which seem to be pretty unequivocal.  Is he hoping they'll sue him for slander?

No one will be suing anyone for slander.

1. Truth is a defense against slander (lol)

AND the more legally relevant reason:

2. If they sued for slander there would be depositions and potentially a public civil trial in which the statements of systematic cheating would be examined in detail as a relevant facet of the the slander allegation. And that's the LAST thing Wade and Miller want. Now maybe they will pull the ol' 'threat of a lawsuit that has an absolute zero chance of actually happening'? Sure - that's a safe route for Wade and Miller.

I’ve said it for awhile but I’ll keep screaming it from the hill tops. The NCAA has a pretty good idea of what kind of things are going on in THEIR organization and couldn’t give a damn because it makes them rich. With all the evidence out there, they’re hoping this moves at a snails pace so in a few years this will all blow over. This tactic has been used effectively by most of the biggest cheaters and scum in the game. THIS is the new era of college hoops and as long as the NCAA makes their millions from it they’ll keep looking the other way, and absolute idiots, in hopes they survive.

Why would a governing body enforce rules to the programs that make them the most profit?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I’ve said it for awhile but I’ll keep screaming it from the hill tops. The NCAA has a pretty good idea of what kind of things are going on in THEIR organization and couldn’t give a damn because it makes them rich. With all the evidence out there, they’re hoping this moves at a snails pace so in a few years this will all blow over. This tactic has been used effectively by most of the biggest cheaters and scum in the game. THIS is the new era of college hoops and as long as the NCAA makes their millions from it they’ll keep looking the other way, and absolute idiots, in hopes they survive.

Why would a governing body enforce rules to the programs that make them the most profit?

And we wonder why we are an afterthought and unsuccessful at $$$ sports??

6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Best quote from article is last sentence...

“The NCAA is like Batman if he spent all his time beating the **** out of jaywalkers.”

8 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Agree totally. I bitched and moaned on posts about the NCAA taking so long to act on UNC, in spite of a mountain of evidence, and kept getting replies basically saying be patient, and I just did not understand the process, etc, etc. Well....we know how that ended.

Agree totally. I bitched and moaned on posts about the NCAA taking so long to act on UNC, in spite of a mountain of evidence, and kept getting replies basically saying be patient, and I just did not understand the process, etc, etc. Well....we know how that ended.
That was my last straw the day I realized NCAA is a joke and dont care what their hero schools do.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

Adam Zagoria‏Verified account @AdamZagoria 

Today from the college basketball bribery trial government witness Marty Blazer said between 2010-14 he paid from several hundred to several thousand dollars to FOOTBALL players from:  Pitt, Penn St, Michigan, Notre Dame, Northwestern, UNC, and Alabama.

Personal Note:  I'm surprised Blazer wasn't immediately struck by a lightning bolt when he named Notre Dame.

21 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Adam Zagoria‏Verified account @AdamZagoria 

Today from the college basketball bribery trial government witness Marty Blazer said between 2010-14 he paid from several hundred to several thousand dollars to FOOTBALL players from:  Pitt, Penn St, Michigan, Notre Dame, Northwestern, UNC, and Alabama.

Personal Note:  I'm surprised Blazer wasn't immediately struck by a lightning bolt when he named Notre Dame.

Series of tweets from Adam Zagoria‏Verified account @AdamZagoria 

In an FBI-recorded video shown to the jury today Christian Dawkins quoted Sean Miller about making payments to Deandre Ayton during his recruitment:  ‘I’m taking care of everything myself. I wanna bring you in. I’ll turn over everything to you.’

Marty Blazer testified :  ‘I understood that to mean he had been taking care of payments for Deandre Ayton. Sean Miller was taking care of everything for Deandre Ayton and his family.’

Dawkins on the FBI video: ‘’Sean Miller has to know everything that goes on. I can call Sean and have a conversation like this is what’s going on. He’ll talk on the phone about stuff he shouldn’t talk on the phone about.’

Dawkins on the FBI video: ‘Rick Pitino May be the only person who doesn’t know what’s going on’

Dawkins on video on paying Book Richardson : ‘Like a Book, that makes sense to give him four grand a month because he’s got the No. 1 pick - every year they got a Top-10 pick’

There’s no proof Dawkins made contact with all these guys but he was targeting them to funnel him players. Many other schools listed too.

A screenshot of a Christian Dawkins text entitled ‘These are my guys’ had Sean Miller and Book Richardson listed first. The list also included Rick Pitino, Tom Izzo, Will Wade, Marvin Menzies and Kevin Keatts

Dawkins atty Steve Haney said since government brought up conversations between Dawkins and Sean Miller, he will file a motion Thursday morning to have Judge Ramos reconsider ruling that barred Miller from being called to testify for the defense.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Series of tweets from Adam Zagoria‏Verified account @AdamZagoria 

In an FBI-recorded video shown to the jury today Christian Dawkins quoted Sean Miller about making payments to Deandre Ayton during his recruitment:  ‘I’m taking care of everything myself. I wanna bring you in. I’ll turn over everything to you.’

Marty Blazer testified :  ‘I understood that to mean he had been taking care of payments for Deandre Ayton. Sean Miller was taking care of everything for Deandre Ayton and his family.’

Dawkins on the FBI video: ‘’Sean Miller has to know everything that goes on. I can call Sean and have a conversation like this is what’s going on. He’ll talk on the phone about stuff he shouldn’t talk on the phone about.’

Dawkins on the FBI video: ‘Rick Pitino May be the only person who doesn’t know what’s going on’

Dawkins on video on paying Book Richardson : ‘Like a Book, that makes sense to give him four grand a month because he’s got the No. 1 pick - every year they got a Top-10 pick’

There’s no proof Dawkins made contact with all these guys but he was targeting them to funnel him players. Many other schools listed too.

A screenshot of a Christian Dawkins text entitled ‘These are my guys’ had Sean Miller and Book Richardson listed first. The list also included Rick Pitino, Tom Izzo, Will Wade, Marvin Menzies and Kevin Keatts

Dawkins atty Steve Haney said since government brought up conversations between Dawkins and Sean Miller, he will file a motion Thursday morning to have Judge Ramos reconsider ruling that barred Miller from being called to testify for the defense.

That's rich.