Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

10 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Holy sh1t, I just saw Louisville got Aidan Igiehon, making it their fifth 4* player in the 2019 class.

They won't miss a beat at all.  Pisses me off that we got taken to the woodshed for freakin' phone calls.

Again...Louisville will get good classes because they don't focus on one geographic area primarily.  They target recruits no matter where they're from.

Holy sh1t, I just saw Louisville got Aidan Igiehon, making it their fifth 4* player in the 2019 class.
They won't miss a beat at all.  Pisses me off that we got taken to the woodshed for freakin' phone calls.
Arizona's getting 5 stars. Ncaa won't do a thing and they know it. It's that simple. Though I noticed the vaunted recruiter drew has nothing going this year.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Arizona's getting 5 stars. Ncaa won't do a thing and they know it. It's that simple. Though I noticed the vaunted recruiter drew has nothing going this year.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

You may comment all that you want about what the NCAA will or will not do. But, this thread is about the FBI and Federal trial.

I'm absolutely certain not another coach or assistant coach in the history of college basketball has ever before used the phrase "willing to do what it takes".    lol     Also, the words weren't from Ostrom's mouth they were from Lasko:

“This is from Lasko to Fenny,” Schachter said, reading the text to Kaplan. “‘Fenny, I am in Indiana and Coach Ostrom asked me for an update. They are super willing to do what it takes to recruit Silvio. Is that something of interest for us?’”

Who knows what, if any, conversations may have actually transpired between Lasko and Ostrom but let's all go jump off the cliff anyway.

Well....  It's more likely than not that this is what it appears to be.  Occam's razor and all that.  That said, there's some wiggle room.

This Lasko character likely had some incentive to get the deal done with Kansas.  This could have been his nudge to convince them to make the deal.  Lasko seems to want the Kansas deal to happen.  He's feeling froggy and trying to muscle the adidas rep into making the Kansas deal.

This could have been a simple attempt by Ostrom to conjure up national interest in Indiana, without any plans to pay any money.  It is well known that programs want to appear to be among the elite, even if they acknowledge they won't get the recruits (the Fran Plan).  Getting headlines that "Silvio de Sousa is showing interest in Indiana" gives some credence to a program trying to recruit Garland and Langford at the time.  This explanation is entirely feasible and does not implicate this coaching staff.  We'd get interest in de Sousa just the same we got interest in Billy Preston.  

There's no dollar amount given.  No specifics given.  There's not much incriminating stuff here.  If Indiana were in on all of this, then the text message would be going from Ostrom to the adidas rep, not from Ostrom to the AAU coach of the player to the adidas rep.  There was nothing like "would you pay just as much for an Indiana commitment?"  In this case, adidas is very clearly only interested in helping Kansas get recruits, and it appears that the adidas $$ for recruits hasn't been made available for Indiana to utilize.

"No, I didn't."  --- Tom Ostrom, when asked whether or not he tried to pay for Silvio de Sousa to come to Indiana.  

"No, they didn't."  -- Silvio de Sousa, when asked whether or not Indiana offered him a scholarship, recruited him, hosted him for a visit, etc.

"None."  -- The number of 5* recruits (or even top 50) Indiana has secured commitments from aside from Romeo Langford.  

47 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Which is why I think it is important for IU to get ahead of the story and explain what happened. Sterling and Dakich are already talking about it.

Indiana has only ever hurt itself getting out in front of things. Ignore it. Treat it like it's no big deal externally while investigating it internally. 

We all knew that Indiana's name would come up as blueblood and Adidas flagship. Clearly though, not being the favorite son of Adidas helped keep us out of trouble, but also out of recruitments and National Championships.

1 hour ago, Iugradman said:

Which is why I think it is important for IU to get ahead of the story and explain what happened. Sterling and Dakich are already talking about it.

Of course.  I'm sure Dakich is talking about it his entire show.  It's what he does.