Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

1 minute ago, Iugradman said:

IU can’t compete with the football powers financially. If paying players is allowed, Texas, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. will suck up all of the talent.

If paying players is allowed, you think those football teams are going to be sending a bunch of money to the basketball team? They will need the cash for their own arms race. Basketball teams will have to work within their own budgets.

6 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

The thing is, many of the football powers have successful basketball programs and will want to keep it that way. How much will players be paid? Will IU have to bid $500k for the next Romeo Langford? That isn’t feasible.

No matter how much, say, the OSU administration wants to keep basketball strong, Urban Meyer would not send a cent of his budget to Chris Holtmann. I hope we can both agree on that. So then where is the money coming from that will put IU at such a disadvantage? 

2 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

The only thing about that is it doesn’t stop the extra money and benefits that players are getting from handlers now. They would get paid and then paid again.

Excellent point. (I know because I've mentioned the same thing in other threads ;). Cheating is cheating. Paying these kids/families isn't about fixing some financial inequity. It has nothing to do with "fairness"  or "giving them what they deserve" it is to gain an illicit advantage, win and make more money yourself. Do you think Bill Self gives a royal $h!t about Billy Preston or Cal is concerned for the family of Karl Anthony-Towns? They are cheating and screwing everyone else that isn't cheating, merely to enrich themselves. Nothing noble, decent or acceptable about it. Giving college kids a stipend won't change that unless the penalty for violations are severe enough that it's mostly not worth it. Some will still cheat, but why don't NBA teams pay players under the table? Because the owners would get fined up the butt or kicked out of the league....there is a lesson there. The hard part is controlling boosters/agents that have no accountability. 

My radical opinion is that if legitimate paying becomes the norm, the NCAA as an organization is toast as well as most of the major conferences as they're now comprised.   New conferences will be formed and I could envision a basketball team belonging to a different conference than does its football team.  Or, in the alternative, many schools will drop football altogether because they can't possibly compete from the $$ standpoint and the sheer number of bodies required to field a football team vs. other sports.  Just $.02 from an Old Fart.

41 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

My radical opinion is that if legitimate paying becomes the norm, the NCAA as an organization is toast as well as most of the major conferences as they're now comprised.   New conferences will be formed and I could envision a basketball team belonging to a different conference than does its football team.  Or, in the alternative, many schools will drop football altogether because they can't possibly compete from the $$ standpoint and the sheer number of bodies required to field a football team vs. other sports.  Just $.02 from an Old Fart.

"Division I" becomes 60 teams with 4 regions. Try that on for size!

The (New Orleans) Times-Picayune - Will Wade needs to come clean about recruiting allegations

And in the category of verrrrry interesting -

In fact, NCAA president Mark Emmert, the former LSU chancellor, told USA Today this week that his organization is tracking the trial "very closely" and plans to "begin our work ... as the opportunity arises."

...If this were an isolated incident it would be one thing. But Wade's recruiting tactics have already attracted NCAA scrutiny. Last February, Yahoo Sports reported that Wade's recruiting tactics were being investigated by the NCAA.

https://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018/10/will_wade_needs_to_come_clean.html

Does that mean Rutgers is dropped from the Big Ten or Delaney adds every team near a big TV market to the Big Ten?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

LSU has always been more than willing to do the dance. Wade is just the new guy in the cog. He sounds like a cheating SOB either way.

What I find funny is despite the $ the on court results have been less than impressive.

SEC is truly deplorable. Bruce Pearl is cheating all the way up and down the block. Alabama same. Pretty much the whole conference.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

LSU has always been more than willing to do the dance. Wade is just the new guy in the cog. He sounds like a cheating SOB either way.

What I find funny is despite the $ the on court results have been less than impressive.

SEC is truly deplorable. Bruce Pearl is cheating all the way up and down the block. Alabama same. Pretty much the whole conference.

A few years ago the $EC commish said he wanted to see the conference make men's basketball a priority. The schools heard "when at all cost," look who they hired as coaches recently...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Except for Vandy- their pro style coach is enough to attract top talent there. There is a video of his work during a time-out that proves his coaching chops. Top notch. 

1 hour ago, AKHoosier said:

Yeah the fact Tremont Waters, a kid from the East Coast, would go to a random non-power school like LSU in a football conference should be proof enough that Wade is more than wading into dirty waters.

If they underachieve this year (they have lots of talent) he will be gone. 

Could Zion Williamson be ineligible?

https://sports.yahoo.com/zion-williamson-new-cam-newton-dukes-new-star-face-eligibility-issues-season-210307389.html
Is Zion Williamson the new Cam Newton? Why Duke's star could face eligibility issues this season

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Zagoria's article on today's closing arguments.  Defense attorney didn't hold back and it does't make Self or Pitino look good regardless of did they or did they not know.

Schachter argued Thursday that Kansas coach Bill Self and former Louisville coach Rick Pitino knew about payments to players. He said Gatto acted on the coaches' behalf to help Adidas and their schools, not to defraud them.

“Kansas’ head coach knew of and asked for a payment to be made to Silvio De Sousa’s handler,” Schacter said Thursday. “Coach Self and Coach (Kurtis) Townsend knew of and asked for this payment to be made to Fenny.

Full story at:  https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/basketball/article_1fb871da-c002-53a0-818a-39975953ca2d.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share&id=201408