Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

Fun read on Williamson's pretty much unexpected last minute commitment to Duke.  My favorite paragraph --  

Does anyone out there believe the NCAA is really, truly going to investigate Duke? And not some cursory, rubber-stamp, we-found-nothing-now-please-enjoy-the-NCAA-tournament-starring-Zion-Williamson attempt, presented by all of the commercials starring Mike Krzyzewski.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-even-dare-investigate-zion-williamson-now-hes-duke-043518120.html

10 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Zion Williamson’s family lives in Colvard Farms, Durham NC. Lots sell for quarter million and homes range from 800k-1.6 mil or so.

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using 

Information like this should send up a flag. So, the family lived in SC and upon Zion commiting to Duke just picked up and moved to Durham and purchased property upwards close to a cool million. Wow

10 hours ago, mdn82 said:

On the brighter side Canada legalized marijuana at midnight and the FDA is looking into rescheduling it as well. #TinyIsHappy

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Kinda wonder how much money the state could make if we at least legalized growing it for export

Kinda wonder how much money the state could make if we at least legalized growing it for export

Honestly there is higher (pun intended) upside to that than technology or medical. Relatively inexpensive to grow. Where as technology and medical growth are. With baby boomers draining resources (sorry old fart no offense intended) with governmental resources you would think it would be something worth looking into. If the FDA were to take it off of the Heroin line it would be even cheaper. But that’s personal opinion and some feel very strongly against.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Honestly there is higher (pun intended) upside to that than technology or medical. Relatively inexpensive to grow. Where as technology and medical growth are. With baby boomers draining resources (sorry old fart no offense intended) with governmental resources you would think it would be something worth looking into. If the FDA were to take it off of the Heroin line it would be even cheaper. But that’s personal opinion and some feel very strongly against.

People tend to vote with pocketbooks and if we lose our soybean and corn markets our farmers may have no chance otherwise. Especially if we are the first farmbelt state to do it

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

People tend to vote with pocketbooks and if we lose our soybean and corn markets our farmers may have no chance otherwise. Especially if we are the first farmbelt state to do it

I expect pot to be largely legalized within 5yrs, 10 at the outside. Some states will hold out, but way too much money being made in Colorado, California, etc. 

Personally I think smoking pot is stupid, but I don't like the govt telling people what to do, either. Freedom =  ability to make stupid choices you have to live with. 

Btw, this is one of the reasons I love this site- FBI Corruption trial leads to legalization discussion! 

PS- Coach K is lying, cheating rat-faced bastard and everyone knows it. 

5 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I expect pot to be largely legalized within 5yrs, 10 at the outside. Some states will hold out, but way too much money being made in Colorado, California, etc. 

Personally I think smoking pot is stupid, but I don't like the govt telling people what to do, either. Freedom =  ability to make stupid choices you have to live with. 

Btw, this is one of the reasons I love this site- FBI Corruption trial leads to legalization discussion! 

PS- Coach K is a lying, cheating rat-faced bastard and everyone knows it. 

Sorry- this was an edit gone wrong. 

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Fun read on Williamson's pretty much unexpected last minute commitment to Duke.  My favorite paragraph --  

Does anyone out there believe the NCAA is really, truly going to investigate Duke? And not some cursory, rubber-stamp, we-found-nothing-now-please-enjoy-the-NCAA-tournament-starring-Zion-Williamson attempt, presented by all of the commercials starring Mike Krzyzewski.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-even-dare-investigate-zion-williamson-now-hes-duke-043518120.html

Yeah.  It's BS.  If Coach K weren't such a sanctimonious, finger-pointing rat, I might cut him more slack.  If fair play had any place in all of this, Zion would be benched already.  Instead we'll have Zach McRoberts chasing him around, while the commentators breathlessly gape at Coach K's ability to land such a heralded class.  

After all of this, with adidas buying recruits for Louisville, and doing the same for Kansas then telling Self that they want them to be at the top of college basketball, I'd like to be there when IU (Archie, Crean, Glass?) calls our adidas rep like "WTH, man?"  Did adidas give Indiana the same opportunities, and we refused it?  Or did they buy prestige for these other programs, to our detriment?  We've endured decades of snark.  Arizona fans refusing to acknowledge us as a blue blood.  Purdue fans snickering about dusty banners.  Kentucky flagrantly disowning the rivalry.  Duke, UNC running away from us in prestige.  Losing guys like Tremont Waters to LSU, and everyone talking about what a great job Wade is doing down there.  

I think we've already resigned ourselves to the fact that legacies are safe.  The cheating is so pervasive that K, Self, and Calipari are going to survive and retire as heroes.  These fat cats know it.  

I wish the Duke game were being played in Bloomington.  I'd love our fans to give K a little of what he deserves.  

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

NCAA: Coach K, is anything going on here?
Coach K: Nothing going on here. See, this house isn't even worth a mil
NCAA: That makes sense

NCAA finds Coastal Carolina has been providing basketball players with Hydroflasks instead of the NCAA mandated paper cups. Coastal Carolina will be held out of any post season tournaments and lose all basketball scholarships for the next 5 years for their lack of institutional control.

At least he stayed in place to deny it?  I mean Cal said he knew nothing while climbing out the window to escape.

PS- Coach K is lying, cheating rat-faced bastard and everyone knows it. 

Yep. I know I am definitely at a different end of the spectrum. I know not everyone is not responsible and it makes for hesitation. Much like guns or anything really. Kumbaya Coach K is a lying, cheating rat-faced bastard!

11 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Hell even I am at the point where it’s just pay them for what they are worth.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

The only thing about that is it doesn’t stop the extra money and benefits that players are getting from handlers now. They would get paid and then paid again.

50 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

IU doesn’t have the budget to compete with the top dogs for recruits. We would be a mid major program.

What is this madness? We have a budget in the top 5-10 range of college basketball and the top budget in the conference.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/6/11/17441968/ncaa-revenue-expense-statistics-college-basketball-2016-gonzaga-mid-major

These numbers are from 2016. You can pull the data yourself here: https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/customdata/search