Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

Interesting show cause ruling out of CA... 

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-todd-mcnair-show-cause-20181009-story.html

Essentially, a state court in California ruled that the NCAA’s “show cause” penalty for a USC assistant football coach is an “unlawful restraint” on his pursuing a lawful profession and thus struck the penalty down. I won’t be surprised to see the NCAA pursue this further, because at the moment it removes one of its go-to moves in penalizing individuals associated with NCAA violations. A couple of quick points on this…

1. Not surprising at all that this happened in California. For any of our attorney members who do any type of employment/contractor related work which touches that state, I’m sure you’re familiar that state law there is construed against employers and any restrictions (non-competes, non-disclosures, etc.) in the most extreme fashion of any state in the nation. So, under that theory, not surprising to me that a judge there found that penalty to be an unlawful restraint. I question whether we’ll see that anywhere else but we’ll see.

2. It is of at least tangential interest in regard to the current college basketball case, in that at least one of the assistants under indictment was also a USC coach. Prior to this, I would have expected that individual to have received a show cause at the bare minimum, with more penalties to the program also possible. Now? Well, we’ll see.

Edited by VeevlandBrowns

7 hours ago, southsidehoosier said:

It's always been my understanding that Lovellette  was already moved into his dorm in Bloomington when Kansas whisked him away to Lawrence.

"Most in the state believed that Lovellette would go to Indiana, as coach Branch McCracken had been great in luring the state’s best to Bloomington. However, Kansas, coached by Phog Allen, was able to convince Lovellette that he was the key to the success of the program (and that he had a future on an Olympic basketball team), which helped Allen lure Lovellette 447 miles away from his home to Lawrence, KS.

Allen became a bitter rival and enemy to Branch McCracken following the recruiting battle, as McCracken spoke about Lovellette being “stolen” from right under him. Lovellette would go on to have an outstanding basketball career that included an NCAA title with Kansas in 1952, Olympic gold medal, and an NBA title (the first basketball player to hold that honor)."

Gassnola responded with a text that said, “In my mind, it’s KU, Bill Self. Everyone else fall into line. Too (expletive) bad. That’s what’s right for Adidas basketball. And I know I’m right. The more you have lottery picks and you happy. That’s how it should work in my mind.” Self replied by text, “That’s how ur (sic) works. At UNC and Duke.” Gassnola answered by saying Kentucky as well. “I promise you I got this. I have never let you down. Except (Deandre). Lol. We will get it right.”

Theres your admission of payola, pay to play, Adidas pays, or whatever you want to call it. Self saying that’s how it works is an admission of that. So what will the governing body of college sports do? Nothing.

18 minutes ago, schoosier said:

Gassnola responded with a text that said, “In my mind, it’s KU, Bill Self. Everyone else fall into line. Too (expletive) bad. That’s what’s right for Adidas basketball. And I know I’m right. The more you have lottery picks and you happy. That’s how it should work in my mind.” Self replied by text, “That’s how ur (sic) works. At UNC and Duke.” Gassnola answered by saying Kentucky as well. “I promise you I got this. I have never let you down. Except (Deandre). Lol. We will get it right.”

Theres your admission of payola, pay to play, Adidas pays, or whatever you want to call it. Self saying that’s how it works is an admission of that. So what will the governing body of college sports do? Nothing.

Slight chance they make Self the fall guy for it. 

23 minutes ago, schoosier said:

Northwest Kansas State University or something will feel the wrath of the NCAA like never before!

Seems like this can be spun away from the idea they were paying to something else. Would have been nice to have had self mention paying more specifically

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, schoosier said:

This reminded me of a Calipari quote from awhile back. Anyone remember this? It was when he confronted a coach who accused him of cheating:

"I’ve heard it from enough people, but I want you to understand one thing. Yes, I am the type of guy who can come in at the last minute and take any player I want from you. You can spend your whole life recruiting a kid and at the end of the day, if I want him, I’ll get him. If we want him, we’ll get him. Don’t ever get that confused. Be appreciative every time I don’t come in and get your guy. Don’t accuse me of cheating when I do."

When this is all said and done, the only people who won't think Calipari had any idea this stuff was happening will be brain-damaged UK sycophants.

18 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

This reminded me of a Calipari quote from awhile back. Anyone remember this? It was when he confronted a coach who accused him of cheating:

"I’ve heard it from enough people, but I want you to understand one thing. Yes, I am the type of guy who can come in at the last minute and take any player I want from you. You can spend your whole life recruiting a kid and at the end of the day, if I want him, I’ll get him. If we want him, we’ll get him. Don’t ever get that confused. Be appreciative every time I don’t come in and get your guy. Don’t accuse me of cheating when I do."

When this is all said and done, the only people who won't think Calipari had any idea this stuff was happening will be brain-damaged UK sycophants.

So the entire fanbase

Northwest Kansas State University or something will feel the wrath of the NCAA like never before!
Well I can tell you the Arizonas and Kansas of the world will skate. Nothing at all will happen to them. Nothing.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk