Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

7 hours ago, InArchWeTrust said:

Man, it’d really suck to be a 5* junior this year. $h!t hitting the fan just in time to miss out on their big pay days.  

Or this changes the NBA's stance on 'one-and-done' and they could potentially be millionaires straight away.

I can't imagine a world in which I don't look forward to March Madness

College basketball will be fine moving forward. It’s going to get worse before it gets better but there are plenty of great games going on today for hoops junkies that are clear of this mess. March Madness will always produce the greatest drama and the best games it just might not be the power houses that do it. Bucknell/Colgate was one of the best games I’ve watched this year. For the casual fan if some of these teams are not involved then it might ruin the experience but for me I will still be just as pumped to watch a 1 seed middle Tennessee vs a 2 seed Bucknell to go the final 4

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

How close to the fire are we in this really? Doesn’t sound to me as though an inter-office ASM email, regarding an alleged discussion with an IU assistant means much considering none of the things discussed actually happened. Has me extremely worried however and extremely upset that it could have happened here after all we have been through.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This is my initial reaction as well

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

He was crucified for it, but Lance Armstrong only started doping when it was apparent that all the other podium riders were and he couldn't compete otherwise. Doesn't make it right, but I think a lot of otherwise good guys cheat because they can't be competitive if they don't play the same game. That doesn't excuse what's going on but it does explain it to some degree. Put yourself in these coaches position and with your job on the line, what would you do.

Another great example was this guy...

6734AF33-43F8-47AA-886B-17847AC9F438-13556-00001075B5C6A415.jpg

He won 3 MVPs, and then saw McGwire and Sosa break the Home Run record. He knew he was twice the player they were, and just couldn’t sit back and watch those seasons go unanswered.

2 minutes ago, moyemayhem said:

Another great example was this guy...

6734AF33-43F8-47AA-886B-17847AC9F438-13556-00001075B5C6A415.jpg

He won 3 MVPs, and then saw McGwire and Sosa break the Home Run record. He knew he was twice the player they were, and just couldn’t sit back and watch those seasons go unanswered.

Greatest player in the history of baseball. Hed get one pitch a night if he was lucky and still smash it out of the park. It's a total joke that he's not in the hall of fame. 

10 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

I'm just going to put this out there, and I don't how relevant it actually is to this discussion, but given the cost of college these days and how many kids are graduating with debt, I find the entire concept of an athletic scholarship incredibly stupid. 

And yet we have "student athletes" not only getting full rides, but this extra crap on the side too? I realize they're adults and deserve to get paid what they're worth, but how about taking a step back and reexamining the role of sports at a university in general?

Could not have said it better!! From my perspective, it's disgraceful that a basketball coach is the highest paid public employee in the state. I love basketball, but between this and the sexual assault stuff things are badly out of whack.

This stuff happened before the OAD era. It's gone on forever. It's probably ramped up in the last 10-15 years but it hasn't changed.

If this is truly going to be solved the NCAA, NBA, NBAPA, and others need to be involved.

If an agent is caught giving money to a college player/family they lose their license.

If a booster is caught giving money/gifts they're banned from the program.

If players or families receive money they get suspended.

The biggest issue being faced is the NCAA DOESN'T want to clean it up. They've known this stuff has been going on for decades. They could have cleaned it up a long time ago but they're scared to lose their job.

There needs to be a new governing body that is capable of enforcing rules.

How close to the fire are we in this really? Doesn’t sound to me as though an inter-office ASM email, regarding an alleged discussion with an IU assistant means much considering none of the things discussed actually happened. Has me extremely worried however and extremely upset that it could have happened here after all we have been through.

Agreed. We aren’t that close to the fire. We didn’t make the deal in this instance that came out. Only in the gray kids we got was Tom, Troy, and Noah. Maybe JBJ. Troy was a Nike kid whose reps wouldn’t work with an Adidas sponsored school. Noah? Reclassified. Those would be the main 3. As Wayne has said every school in America is dirty to some degree. Guessing we go after the dirtiest.

Why would Dawkins contact Chuck Martin and Dwayne Stephens from MSU? Did he have a personal relationship with them, or previous dealings? If these two were seen as approachable by runners and agents, then it may be worthwhile to see who these two landed in previous years. My point is, I just don’t think a runner or agent is emailing every P5 asst coach looking to trade without some knowledge or idea that said asst coaches are approachable and willing to listen. There is some level of trust to be able to have these convos.
This is me looking at it as a former agent myself...

IU recruited Miles Bridges, Brian Bowen (limited). MSU and Indiana targeted some of the same players over time.

Believe me when I say Chuck Martin and Kenny Johnson were hired for their connections.

The reason Duke and Kentucky skate FOR NOW is because they are professionals. The coaches won't be caught on freaking wiretaps and stupid stuff like that.

You can tell by the way Seth Greenberg and Jay Bilas talk, they all get paid but if the Coaches can't be connected to the dealings the blame will fall on the agents and not the school.

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

IU recruited Miles Bridges, Brian Bowen (limited). MSU and Indiana targeted some of the same players over time.

Believe me when I say Chuck Martin and Kenny Johnson were hired for their connections.

100% agree. 

Why would Dawkins contact Chuck Martin and Dwayne Stephens from MSU? Did he have a personal relationship with them, or previous dealings? If these two were seen as approachable by runners and agents, then it may be worthwhile to see who these two landed in previous years. My point is, I just don’t think a runner or agent is emailing every P5 asst coach looking to trade without some knowledge or idea that said asst coaches are approachable and willing to listen. There is some level of trust to be able to have these convos.

This is me looking at it as a former agent myself...

Christian Dawkins ran Dorians Pride an AAU out of Saginaw. Bowen was on the program. Kuzma was on that program. If you don’t know how the head of an AAU program had connections to Assistant Coaches I don’t know what to say. He was at a different agency and was fired for working with ASM. ASM wanted him for his connections. End of story with Christian Dawkins. Dude did a lot of damage in a short period of time and wasn’t quiet about it.

5 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Christian Dawkins ran Dorians Pride an AAU out of Saginaw. Bowen was on the program. Kuzma was on that program. If you don’t know how the head of an AAU program had connections to Assistant Coaches I don’t know what to say. He was at a different agency and was fired for working with ASM. ASM wanted him for his connections. End of story with Christian Dawkins. Dude did a lot of damage in a short period of time and wasn’t quiet about it.

Thanks for be background. 

The reason Duke and Kentucky skate FOR NOW is because they are professionals. The coaches won't be caught on freaking wiretaps and stupid stuff like that.

You can tell by the way Seth Greenberg and Jay Bilas talk, they all get paid but if the Coaches can't be connected to the dealings the blame will fall on the agents and not the school.

Convenient. And yet after two schools and being somewhat involved with this that crap**** will come out smelling like roses. The world of college basketball/football is so corrupt the IOC gave it a golf clap.