Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

10 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

To be honest it was a little underwhelming, except the things with Smith, Stone and a couple others. While still against the rules for the players, it seemed more about the agency’s trying to bribe college players to sign with them, as opposed to real recruiting violations by schools and coaches, or players being swayed to certain schools. 

To be honest it was a little underwhelming, except the things with Smith, Stone and a couple others. While still against the rules for the players, it seemed more about the agency’s trying to bribe college players to sign with them, as opposed to real recruiting violations by schools and coaches, or players being swayed to certain schools. 

Yea but I don’t think they released the big stuff yet. This article was just an appetizer to confirm some big names and some legit charges. Also, I see Vanderbilt’s listed....cough cough.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Wow. Some of the schools sure, but Virginia and Wichita St will fall into this too? Not due to recruitment but players making bad choices. No Indiana players listed on that list though.

But sounds like they didnt see everything so fingers crossed

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, A.j. Nigh said:

Yea but I don’t think they released the big stuff yet. This article was just an appetizer to confirm some big names and some legit charges. Also, I see Vanderbilt’s listed....cough cough.

Yeah, the real info will be with whatever comes from the shoe company investigation. Those are the guys really corrupting recruiting. Agents are more just worried about which players they can sign. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don’t know.. there aren’t many details but towards the end of the article it name Izzo, and the Villanova coaches by name.. that’s pretty big news. On top of the specific players it lists by name. 

14 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Wow. Some of the schools sure, but Virginia and Wichita St will fall into this too? Not due to recruitment but players making bad choices. No Indiana players listed on that list though.

I saw someone on Twitter zoom in on one of the Balance Sheets and Jared Jeffries name is on it. I’m sure that relates to his NBA career but really have no idea what the NCAA ‘statue of limitations’ is on something like this.

17 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

I don’t know.. there aren’t many details but towards the end of the article it name Izzo, and the Villanova coaches by name.. that’s pretty big news. On top of the specific players it lists by name. 

Not sure on the rules, are coaches not allowed to speak with agents to gauge NBA potential/standings of their players?

But yes, this is just the tip of the iceberg. The real meat in all of this will be what comes from the shoe companies. 

24 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

I saw someone on Twitter zoom in on one of the Balance Sheets and Jared Jeffries name is on it. I’m sure that relates to his NBA career but really have no idea what the NCAA ‘statue of limitations’ is on something like this.

Jared was a professional client of ASM - they were his agents.

Anyone who was in a financial relationship with agents as a long term pro is largely irrelevant; especially someone who turned pro in 2003.

56 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

Maybe one of my favorite youtube vids ever ("the 'haw' has to be like you just smashed your shnutz in the doorjamb"), and boy oh boy is it appropriate for the occasion!

If that is the totality of everything they have found.....then it's not much. I assume there are documents that Yahoo doesn't have access too with more damning information.

For the most part, it looks like it will all be falling on the players. Only coaches mentioned are "Villanova coaches" and Izzo. 

1 minute ago, KB0 said:

If that is the totality of everything they have found.....then it's not much. I assume there are documents that Yahoo doesn't have access too with more damning information.

For the most part, it looks like it will all be falling on the players. Only coaches mentioned are "Villanova coaches" and Izzo. 

That is TWO PAGES out of thousands of pages of documents from ONLY ONE AGENT!

Quite a conundrum for the NCAA - act on the incontrovertible and partially blow up the sport, or give every cheating program a mulligan.

Quite a conundrum for the NCAA - act on the incontrovertible and partially blow up the sport, or give every cheating program a mulligan.

If it was just the NCAA, I would have to say the mulligan would be what would happen. I think it all depends on how involved the FBI wanted to be. As previously said, this is the tip of the iceberg....and it is awesome

Sent from my LG-H872 using BtownBanners mobile app

35 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Jared was a professional client of ASM - they were his agents.

Anyone who was in a financial relationship with agents as a long term pro is largely irrelevant; especially someone who turned pro in 2003.

I know he was a client of ASM. Just saying I wonder how far back the data goes, and wonder what could happen if some Balance Sheet from 2001 popped up.

17 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yes, but it is not like they have the records of every single agent either. Yahoo said it read through hundreds of pages of documents and that is all they had to release. I'm sure there is more to come - and maybe my expectations were a little high - but this doesn't seem like much to me. MSU, USC, and Kentucky come off the worst here.

Interesting to see media darlings Virginia and Villanova mentioned though. 

Honest question, do they have any other agency other than ASM?

Yes, but it is not like they have the records of every single agent either. Yahoo said it read through hundreds of pages of documents and that is all they had to release. I'm sure there is more to come - and maybe my expectations were a little high - but this doesn't seem like much to me. MSU, USC, and Kentucky come off the worst here.
Interesting to see media darlings Virginia and Villanova mentioned though. 
Honest question, do they have any other agency other than ASM?

They have the shoe companies. That could be massive

Sent from my LG-H872 using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, Hutch89 said:

Diamond Stone is on there for a cool $14k

$14,000 initially from those two pages!

Who knows how much more lurks.

Hold your breath for Bryant, Vonleh, and Troy. I'm not especially worried about Crean, but who knows what those kids did behind the scenes.

No player on our current roster worries me at all; MSB is "priceless.".