Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Nobody would care about the minor League. The "G" exists and has pretty good talent and nobody cares. It's the university label that fuels the excitement. They need to be careful how they address this.

Agree on the college players who want to be college players part. I'll still watch the college game over the G league regardless. It's only about 25-50 players per year that ruin it.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Came to post the same thing. The vast majority of the time people aren't coming to college games to watch specific players. They're coming to watch the school. If you took away the school and put the players in a "minor league" not nearly as many people would come. 

Came to post the same thing. The vast majority of the time people aren't coming to college games to watch specific players. They're coming to watch the school. If you took away the school and put the players in a "minor league" not nearly as many people would come. 

Yeah, because sometimes college hoops is terrible, yet even when its terrible it's still great because it's University A vs University B.

Having guys that eventually make the NBA is a bonus. But not as much in the 1nDone era because usually the guys haven't "earned" it yet.

I don't mind a 1nDone going when they obviously belong (Durant, Carmelo, Anthony Davis, etc).

The fringe guys jumping early sucks. It really doesn't benefit anyone.

2 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I realize that I am old and don't represent the state of current thinking about the sport, but I would not mind seeing college basketball become about the student-athlete again. You know, the kids who go to college and play sports for their school and then become teachers, doctors, lawyers, etc. I believe there should be another path for those whose only goal is getting to "the league". It gets harder and harder for me to embrace college basketball as it now stands. And I don't envy coaches who are trying to navigate the current landscape. I know I'm a minority in this opinion, and that's fine, but what's going on now can't continue.

I suppose that makes me "old," too.  I've been accused of that and more over the years, and I generally just sit back.....   Experience counts for a lot.    Being a minority doesn't make you wrong.  It just means you need a thick skin.

I realize that I am old and don't represent the state of current thinking about the sport, but I would not mind seeing college basketball become about the student-athlete again. You know, the kids who go to college and play sports for their school and then become teachers, doctors, lawyers, etc. I believe there should be another path for those whose only goal is getting to "the league". It gets harder and harder for me to embrace college basketball as it now stands. And I don't envy coaches who are trying to navigate the current landscape. I know I'm a minority in this opinion, and that's fine, but what's going on now can't continue.

I like seeing the students vs the 1 and done stars because it gives them a chance to shine against the best. It is playing against the best players that they will remember forever and that is what makes it so great imo. Playing the best of the best is what makes people dp their best that is what i love about it

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

21 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

The point isn't whether or not "most" would care about it, is it?  (I think some would if it were structured well)  The point is to give high school players a place to go and get paid to do it if they're good enough.  I think every person on this board would agree with you relative to what they watch,  There are those who would prefer a true NBA minor league.  Or I think there are.   That league would not be for anyone here who loves college basketball.  Honestly, I think it might improve both products.

The NBA could have a high school draft for kids who register.  Kid doesn't get drafted in, say 3 rounds, he is still eligible for college basketball as long as he qualifies academically.  The fewer doors that are closed to kids, the better.  Nobody will ever eliminate money from the equation; but the shoe companies' involvement in college basketball has become WAY too impactful.  Same in AAU basketball. This corruption investigation surprises me exactly zero.  Part of me is glad it's happening.  Drain the swamp, indeed.  This is as grimy a swamp as politics is.

agree with u...glad this is happening....way ....way...past time to...'

"drain the college BB swamp"...

I get the premise of having another league, but I'm guessing most of those guys wouldn't want to go and make 50-75k when they'll get more exposure and potential sponsorships out of playing in college. I just don't think it would change that much unless they had the ability to offer guys hundreds of thousands. 

Just now, AZ Hoosier said:

IMO, the solution is to use the baseball rules... you can go "pro" out of HS, but if you sign with a college,  you MUST STAY three years. The UK model of going to class for one semester, blow classes off for the 2nd semester, then go to the draft is what's killing CBB, again, my opinion.

Agreed. This is about the only solution I see as being plausible. Otherwise there will always be the highest bidder or guys adding on top if we decide to start paying college athletes. 

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Fallout starting at OK St. as four-star 2018 wing Antwann Jones decommits.

I am truly curious about who would be willing to recruit those guys... UL lost both of their recruits yesterday (Anfernee Simons and Courtney Ramey) ... and Bowen is out (has he lost his eligibility yet?) ...

but IF (big IF) there was some impropriety with their recruitment ... and for the sake of argument, we may have to assume there is, who would be willing to jump into that cesspool?

Inquiring minds...

I am truly curious about who would be willing to recruit those guys... UL lost both of their recruits yesterday (Anfernee Simons and Courtney Ramey) ... and Bowen is out (has he lost his eligibility yet?) ...
but IF (big IF) there was some impropriety with their recruitment ... and for the sake of argument, we may have to assume there is, who would be willing to jump into that cesspool?
Inquiring minds...

I would have to guess that only programs that know they are as clean as a whistle would, and no one else

Sent from my LG-H900 using BtownBanners mobile app

7 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Inquiring minds...

Larry Brown comes to mind as well as Dave Bliss if they were still coaching.