Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

2 minutes ago, Tom White said:

That is the type of statement that always worries me a bit. If you are not involved, and there has been not even a hint of you being involved, then why do you feel compelled to say anything at all?

What? It was in response to a reporter's question. It would be much more worrying if the said nothing.

4 minutes ago, Tom White said:

That is the type of statement that always worries me a bit. If you are not involved, and there has been not even a hint of you being involved, then why do you feel compelled to say anything at all?

I'd think it's intended to do the opposite. Ease some minds. I really do believe Crean held true and kept us out of trouble. 

That goes both ways though, if you say nothing people are still gonna talk and make you seem guilty by not addressing it. You can’t win

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Please outline the LARGE fraction of his job that he did not do.

Sent from my SM-G930P using BtownBanners mobile app

In-game coaching, player development, in-game adjustments, fundamental teaching for limiting turnovers etc...I'm sure that I can continue on. The reason he was fired has been underlined as a large portion

Sent from my LG-H900 using BtownBanners mobile app

Recruiting and Coaching.

You'll probably throw out names like Cody and Vic but there are just as many guys that should've been D2 or D3 that ended up at IU. Coaching wise he was god awful I'm not even sure if anyone can even attempt to argue that.

There are 3 major parts of coaching. Recruiting, Coaching, and doing it the right way. 1/3 isnt good especially when youre being paid as much as Crean was. If I only did a fraction of my job I would be fired not given a pat on the back like some of you all are wanting to do.

Edit: I'm truly dumbfounded by this participation trophy mentality that most have on here.

I think they're point in regards to recruiting is that all this can help explain how he missed out on some recruits to those schools paying money. Did he lose some just because they didn't buy what he was selling sure, but I feel like it safe to say some of them were bought from him.

3 hours ago, mdn82 said:

If they beat out Texas, Alabama, Michigan, or Ohio State I would be shocked. Good thing this won't matter when determining punishment as the NCAA will still get theirs.

You're right. I should have said basketball program. They have been ranked the most valuable program the past few years.

I think they're point in regards to recruiting is that all this can help explain how he missed out on some recruits to those schools paying money. Did he lose some just because they didn't buy what he was selling sure, but I feel like it safe to say some of them were bought from him.

Wisconsin and Butler I have to presume play fair and do an excellent job of growing and developing their players to not turn the ball over, and have overall good fundamentals. Also have coaches who make good adjustments and are really good coaches. I'm not trying to pile on crean but these points keep getting brought up. Crean did great things for the program and I don't think Dalton or anyone else is arguing that. But if coaching is your Achilles heel and you are paid to be a coach, that's how you get fired. Not recruiting

23 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

What? It was in response to a reporter's question. It would be much more worrying if the said nothing.

The original post did not make it clear that it was in response to a reporter's question. There were quotes surrounding the statement, but those appeared (at least to me) to only represent the poster was showing he was giving us information as accurate as he could. If the statement was in response to a question, then you are right. Changes things.

I had thought it was just a general statement released by the university.

12 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

I'm glad he wasn't attempting to outbid other coaches for recruits.

I'm also glad we no longer have to see things like 3 players in man defense with 2 in zone, games against McNeese State with 20 turnovers and players like Grant Gelon and Jeremiah April leaving the program for D-2 schools.

I agree, I was one of the biggest fire Crean advocates due to his coaching. I'm simply suggesting that people are trying to give him some gratitude for keeping us clean, thus far, and that this can explain some misses on recruits. As much as I wanted Crean gone I'm not so naive as to think he was horrible for the program. He was the right guy at the time and did what he could to make is respectable again and his time came simply because his coaching ability reached its limit. Even if he pulled in some of those missed recruits I don't think he would have known what to do with them. Just trying to explain what I assume some posters are trying to say in regards to his recruiting and running a clean ship.

For what it's worth, I think he would be great at righting the ship at Louisville if he would even be interested in doing that

Wisconsin and Butler I have to presume play fair and do an excellent job of growing and developing their players to not turn the ball over, and have overall good fundamentals. Also have coaches who make good adjustments and are really good coaches. I'm not trying to pile on crean but these points keep getting brought up. Crean did great things for the program and I don't think Dalton or anyone else is arguing that. But if coaching is your Achilles heel and you are paid to be a coach, that's how you get fired. Not recruiting

Pretty spot on. The posts about taking it easy on him because he was clean is my issue because no one has ever said a bad thing about how he ran his program in regards to the rules. To want to take it easy on him because of that doesn’t make any sense when the reason he got fired and most dislike him has nothing to do with that.

I don’t like Crean as a coach or as a person(based on a personal experience which we have hashed out a million times so I’m not going down that road again). But I do absolutely and unquestionable respect him running a clean program, but that doesn’t pardon the other things.

15 hours ago, cthomas said:

I know I'm slipping into "grassy knoll" territory here, but don't these massive apparel contracts kind of lead us down the rabbit hole? They invest huge money in a school and then expect a high profile return on their investment. It undoubtedly starts with AAU, which the apparel companies are completely in control of, and filters up. It's dirty and it uses kids as their pawns who are often from economically challenged environments. Very sad.

The wheels of capitalism keep rolling.  It doesn't care about the NCAA's scholarship, room, board and small stipend it has to offer.  In fact it's the bug and capitalism is the windshield.

No one is really talking about the elephant in the room here.  It looks like this is the 'norm' of college sports.  Once the dust settles, and I have a feeling this will be a dust pile the size of Mt. Everest, the underlying issue will still exist.  Also, I will not be surprised if IU is part of that dust pile.  I hope that's not the case but this appears to be bigger than just a handful of schools.  Personally, I think there should be a major overhaul with the NCAA rules, especially if they want to continue to benefit the revenue.    

32 minutes ago, theriverpilot said:

I'm seeing the same thing and I have to wonder if they realize that UK's head could possibly be on this chopping block too.

I was reading a bit on RR yesterday and the UK fans are pounding their chests about being above board.  Now, I understand this is typical fan behavior but some of their reasoning is laughable.  My favorite is that only the other schools have to cheat (presumably out of desperation) trying to keep up with Cal's prowess. Wow.