Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Dalton26

2017-18 Season Expectations

14 hours ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

Didn't know where to post this. But it looks like we will at least be in the best shape and stronger than we have been before behind Clif. I'm looking forward to watching our bigs start to bang inside like the rest of the B1G instead of floating out for 3s.

ImageUploadedByBtownBanners1501026628.929599.jpg

ImageUploadedByBtownBanners1501026640.851124.jpg

Guys look good but these pictures also have some elements from bad weight loss ads... different lighting, flex vs not flex, etc.

35 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

How many teams in the B1G do you think have more talent and experience?
I can't imagine us being in the bottom half of the league. I know MSU is loaded but other than that nobody sticks out.

True, none of the others stick out, but which teams have more talent and experience on paper, based on prior performance and incoming additions?

1. Michigan State
  2. Purdue
  3. Michigan
  4. Minnesota
  5. Northwestern
  6. Maryland

Maybe 7. Wisky

That would put us seventh or eighth in the B1G if we don't over or underachieve. And Illinois, Iowa, and Penn State as pretty close in returning talent and experience. Safe to say that we definitely have more talent and experience than OSU, Nebraska, and Rutgers. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Agreed that our biggest positive attribute (by far) is experience, and that's a good one to have.

However, I strongly suspect that with all of that experience already on the floor, we will have one of the three freshmen rise into a real, substantive role. It could be Justin Smith, but I'm betting it's Durham, because unlike our other guards, that kid can get around people, play through contact, and finish at the bucket. 

If we're relying on any of our current freshmen to play a large or substantive role, we're not going to be very good.  

8 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

If we're relying on any of our current freshmen to play a large or substantive role, we're not going to be very good.  

Agreed. I like that Durham is impressing this summer, but if he's getting a lot of meaningful minutes it likely means 1 or 2 of JN, RJ, CJ, and DG aren't progressing very well.

True, none of the others stick out, but which teams have more talent and experience on paper, based on prior performance and incoming additions?
  1. Michigan State
  2. Purdue
  3. Michigan
  4. Minnesota
  5. Northwestern
  6. Maryland
Maybe 7. Wisky
That would put us seventh or eighth in the B1G if we don't over or underachieve. And Illinois, Iowa, and Penn State as pretty close in returning talent and experience. Safe to say that we definitely have more talent and experience than OSU, Nebraska, and Rutgers. 

Agree completely, which is why we are projected 8-10 range by most so far.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

10 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Knight constantly featured one (usually) or two freshman in the mix of his better veteran teams. Eric Anderson, Jay Edwards, Evans, Fife, Bailey, etc, etc.

Almost all coaches will do this if they have a freshman who's up to the task.

1. Michigan State
  2. Purdue
  3. Michigan
  4. Minnesota
  5. Northwestern
  6. Maryland
Maybe 7. Wisky

Agree with everything except Illinois returning talent and experience close to IU. Leron black is their only starter back from last year's team (if he is your teams upperclassman leadership that's trouble) I think Illinois is going to struggle big time this year or at least I hope they do

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Knight constantly featured one (usually) or two freshman in the mix of his better veteran teams. Eric Anderson, Jay Edwards, Evans, Fife, Bailey, etc, etc.

Like the idea but don't think our current freshmen are up to task 

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Agree with everything except Illinois returning talent and experience close to IU. Leron black is their only starter back from last year's team (if he is your teams upperclassman leadership that's trouble) I think Illinois is going to struggle big time this year or at least I hope they do

In addition to Black Illinois is also starting Alstork, a senior guard who averaged 19 points and 4.7 rebounds at Wright St last year, Mark Smith, a top 75 ish recruit, probably Nichols, who averaged 5.5 and 3.3 in conference play, Lucas, who started last 15 at pg, have Finke, Williams, Jordan. I think they'll finish below us, but they have more than a few rotation returnees. 

19 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Agreed. I like that Durham is impressing this summer, but if he's getting a lot of meaningful minutes it likely means 1 or 2 of JN, RJ, CJ, and DG aren't progressing very well.

Exactly. That's why I think that Al Durham will get minutes. To do things that the others aren't. If we play four guards in rotation, I strongly suspect that Durham will surpass CuJo, at least.

Whereas, I believe that JSmith will have a more difficult time beating out DeRon, Juwan, Collin, and Freddie for minutes.

But it's July and I'm just speculating. 

In addition to Black Illinois is also starting Alstork, a senior guard who averaged 19 points and 4.7 rebounds at Wright St last year, Mark Smith, a top 75 ish recruit, probably Nichols, who averaged 5.5 and 3.3 in conference play, Lucas, who started last 15 at pg, have Finke, Williams, Jordan. I think they'll finish below us, but they have more than a few rotation returnees. 

Relying on a grad transfer and freshman as my starting backcourt in the B1G isn't something I wouldn't want to do. B1G experience is important in my opinion. Finke is the only other upperclassman I would rely on I forgot about him. Jordan and Williams sophomores?

13 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Relying on a grad transfer and freshman as my starting backcourt in the B1G isn't something I wouldn't want to do. B1G experience is important in my opinion. Finke is the only other upperclassman I would rely on I forgot about him. Jordan and Williams sophomores?

Like I said, we should be better, more experienced than Illinois. Primarily because RoJo and Collin are great for our prospects, but Collin has never averaged more than 5.0 and 3.1 (less than Illinois sophomore Kipper Nichols). And, I hope he proves them wrong, but no B1G opponent is thinking that Josh Newkirk is a difference maker.

We are counting on DeRon to be our go-to guy, and I understand why. However, he is a sophomore who averaged 5.9 and 3.1 last year (about the same as Nichols). We are also counting on CuJo, DeVonte, Freddie, who haven't proven much vis-a-vis being battle tested.

36 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

You're comparing Knight and the teams on which Anderson, Edwards, Bailey, and Evans played on to THIS team?   Evans did very little as a freshman.  Edwards was an elite shooter.  Bailey was national player of the year.  Evans joined a team that was already terrific.  He played about 17 minutes per game, and was basically a shooter.  Anderson's first team was 1988.  We won 19 games.  Very ordinary team.  Not a good team by Indiana's standards, and sort of what I mean by this year's team.   Fife played a very minimal role as a freshman.  Averaged 3 points a game and about 12 minutes.   

I guess I don't see the comparison.  

22 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

You're comparing Knight and the teams on which Anderson, Edwards, Bailey, and Evans played on to THIS team?   Evans did very little as a freshman.  Edwards was an elite shooter.  Bailey was national player of the year.  Evans joined a team that was already terrific.  He played about 17 minutes per game, and was basically a shooter.  Anderson's first team was 1988.  We won 19 games.  Very ordinary team.  Not a good team by Indiana's standards, and sort of what I mean by this year's team.   Fife played a very minimal role as a freshman.  Averaged 3 points a game and about 12 minutes.   

I guess I don't see the comparison.  

We may be defining "rotation minutes" differently. I see one of the freshman averaging at least 15 minutes per game; that would be top eight on the team. 

And AGREED! Al Durham and Justin Smith are NOT Damon Bailey or Eric Anderson. BUT, as a freshman... 

• Bailey had to get his minutes at the expense of Greg Graham, Jamal Meeks, Lyndon Jones, and Chris Reynolds.
  • whereas Durham has to get his minutes from Curtis Jones, Devonte Green, and Josh Newkirk.
  • and Smith needs to get minutes at the expense of Freddie McSwain, Clifton Moore, and Tim Priller

As a freshman averaging 17 minutes per game Evans was behind bigs Cheaney, Anderson, and Nover. He took minutes away from Sims, Lindeman, and  Pat Knight and was a rotation player. That's more where I see Durham and/or Smith.

The point I'm making is that Archie, like other coaches, will gladly utilize freshmen over experience when the freshmen are better than the experienced players.

PS: If I'm reading the interweb correctly, in Anderson's freshman year we were sole B1G champs at 15-3, 27-8, and finished #6 nationally in the final coaches poll. Anderson competed for minutes (and got a bunch) among Jadlow, Sloan, Pelkowski, Nover, Chuckie White, and Robinson. 

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

We may be defining "rotation minutes" differently. I see one of the freshman averaging at least 15 minutes per game; that would be top eight on the team. 

And AGREED! Al Durham and Justin Smith are NOT Damon Bailey or Eric Anderson. BUT, as a freshman... 

• Bailey had to get his minutes at the expense of Greg Graham, Jamal Meeks, Lyndon Jones, and Chris Reynolds.
  • whereas Durham has to get his minutes from Curtis Jones, Devonte Green, and Josh Newkirk.
  • and Smith needs to get minutes at the expense of Freddie McSwain, Clifton Moore, and Tim Priller

As a freshman averaging 17 minutes per game Evans was behind bigs Cheaney, Anderson, and Nover. He took minutes away from Sims, Lindeman, and  Pat Knight and was a rotation player. That's more where I see Durham and/or Smith.

The point I'm making is that Archie, like other coaches, will gladly utilize freshmen over experience when the freshmen are better than the experienced players.

Smith should have no problem beating out Moore and Priller. If McSwain looks like he did last year, which is to say not at all like a basketball player, Smith is almost guaranteed rotation minutes.

Like I said, we should be better, more experienced than Illinois. Primarily because RoJo and Collin are great for our prospects, but Collin has never averaged more than 5.0 and 3.1 (less than Illinois sophomore Kipper Nichols). And, I hope he proves them wrong, but no B1G opponent is thinking that Josh Newkirk is a difference maker.
We are counting on DeRon to be our go-to guy, and I understand why. However, he is a sophomore who averaged 5.9 and 3.1 last year (about the same as Nichols). We are also counting on CuJo, DeVonte, Freddie, who haven't proven much vis-a-vis being battle tested.

Your missing the bigger picture.......
We agreed on 13 of the 14 teams