Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Dalton26

2017-18 Season Expectations

4 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I'm with you on the top 5 finish but I'll be content (at this point) with a single tourney win. Hey, and how about a B1G tourney championship for a change!?!

This team isn't spectacular, but has some tools and if Miller is the coach we all hope he should win right away. The B1G may be better, but still isn't scary at all.

I'm going out on a limb with the sweet 16 prediction haha. He's had some tournament success with lesser teams, so hey why not lol. Top 5 in conference and a tournament birth are my realistic expectations and I'll be concerned if we don't meet them (barring injury).

We did lose our 3 best players, but we still should've made the tournament after OG got hurt. I think Davis will be able to completely fill the void left by TB, and maybe one of Cujo/DG/Al can rise up and take a big chunk of JBJ's minutes. 

52 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Anywhere from 4-10 in the B1G. Fringe tournament team.

We are losing 3 key contributors again after this upcoming season so I hope we can start exceeding my expectations right away.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Exactly why we need to land some top recruits. 

I'm going out on a limb with the sweet 16 prediction haha. He's had some tournament success with lesser teams, so hey why not lol. Top 5 in conference and a tournament birth are my realistic expectations and I'll be concerned if we don't meet them (barring injury).

We did lose our 3 best players, but we still should've made the tournament after OG got hurt. I think Davis will be able to completely fill the void left by TB, and maybe one of Cujo/DG/Al can rise up and take a big chunk of JBJ's minutes. 

Shooting is what we are going to miss most. Even that wasn't consistent. I think the three players we lost are individually good players. But only OG is who I am going to miss. I though he was an excellent glue guy with skills that will be better as a pro than college. Tom didn't play strong enough and JBJ just never has won and always been the best player on bad teams in high school and now IU. I don't want to turn this into bashing, but I truly feel what we are lacking most wasn't in any of the three players we lost. IMO we will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

19 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Shooting is what we are going to miss most. Even that wasn't consistent. I think the three players we lost are individually good players. But only OG is who I am going to miss. I though he was an excellent glue guy with skills that will be better as a pro than college. Tom didn't play strong enough and JBJ just never has won and always been the best player on bad teams in high school and now IU. I don't want to turn this into bashing, but I truly feel what we are lacking most wasn't in any of the three players we lost. IMO we will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I was thinking this as well. I'm looking to see what kind of shots we get in CMs offense. Hopefully better quality shots produce a higher shooting percentage versus the dribble weave chuck up a 3 at the end of the shot clock offense we have seen in the past

Edited by Blackmon_for_3

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

For the first year, a top 5 conference finish and tournament berth will suffice. But that better not be the norm for every season

Guys I would caution some of the people in this topic.  

"Winning is not always the barometer of getting better." - Tiger Woods

We might lose games we could win this coming year, because Archie is playing the freshmen more than we deem appropriate.  Or because our offense/defense is overly simplistic.  Hes trying to build something, and that requires laying a foundation which isn't always that pretty.

I honestly don't agree with the first part. The second part about simplifying things, I'm not as sure. Basketball systems aren't that complicated. Calipari has a new team virtually every single year to learn his system. I think Archie will be playing to win 100% not trying to build freshmen and such. If Freshmen are playing its because Archie thinks that gives us the best chance to win now. He won't be playing for future seasons.

I think if this season is a relative bust, the blame will fall on the players mostly for just not being good enough (which is very possible).

Archie will then have a window of time to get his guys together and win.

5 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I honestly don't agree with the first part. The second part about simplifying things, I'm not as sure. Basketball systems aren't that complicated. Calipari has a new team virtually every single year to learn his system. I think Archie will be playing to win 100% not trying to build freshmen and such. If Freshmen are playing its because Archie thinks that gives us the best chance to win now. He won't be playing for future seasons.

I think if this season is a relative bust, the blame will fall on the players mostly for just not being good enough (which is very possible).

Archie will then have a window of time to get his guys together and win.

Archie has flat out said it takes 3 years to learn his defense.  Yeah Calipari brings in a class every year, its easy when the game plan is basically go out athlete them.  

Archie has flat out said it takes 3 years to learn his defense.  Yeah Calipari brings in a class every year, its easy when the game plan is basically go out athlete them.  

If that's true it's ridiculous. That means no freshmen or sophomore will be able to play for IU again as they will be a liability on defense. If it's that complicated something is wrong there. Need to be able to plug and play to a degree unless he plans on playing only Juniors and Seniors.

The 3 years to learn his defense was probably hyperbole. It's just basketball so I doubt his defense is that complex to figure out. If he was being serious then he needs to find an easier way to teach it because expecting it to take 3 years to learn is unrealistic. 

Also, Sean Miller utilizes much of the same principles and he relies heavily on Freshmen.

Having more talent is 80% of the battle and hopefully we end up with that problem at some point.

The 3 years to learn his defense was probably just hyperbole. It's just basketball so I doubt his defense is that complex to figure out. If he was being serious then he needs to find an easier way to teach it because expecting it to take 3 years to learn is unrealistic. 

Right on. I'm going with hyperbole. I'm sure there are nuances that players pick up on as they mature and age but using that as a reason for losing now isn't likely pointing the finger in the right direction.

Fans rarely want to blame the players in the college game. And that's cool. And under Crean it was easy to pass the buck. This year I believe we find out one way or another how good these players actually are. I can't wait to find out.