Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Dalton26

2017-18 Season Expectations

People really need to just step off the ledge.  These transitions take time.  Look at Roy's first season at UNC and that was with 3 top 10 players.  Gregg Marshall did wonders at Winthrop but look at his first couple seasons at Wichita.   Look at Pitino's first season at UL.
Step of the ledge never gets old does it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I think we should be pleased if we can eventually state that for a season-long, final assessment, we were a "two steps forward, one step back" team.

We got a long ways to go to get to that stage.

This season is a hell of a lot worse than I expected. Flat out embarrassing at times. But, we just have to trust the process now. Hopefully evaluations are already being made by the staff about who stays and goes. Big changes need to be made to this roster and lets see how it plays out.

45 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

UNC went 19-11 in Roy’s first season and made the NCAA tournament. He won the national title the following year.

They were .500 in conference and a bubble team.  Again that was with 3 top 10 players.  And yes they won the title the next season with essentially the same roster.  That's my point that transitions take time. 

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

They were .500 in conference and a bubble team.  Again that was with 3 top 10 players.  And yes they won the title the next season with essentially the same roster.  That's my point that transitions take time. 

I would be ecstatic with a one year turn around.  

But with my glass is empty view in regards to IUBB the last couple of years.  What happens in year 3 or 4? 

11 minutes ago, jmsgws said:

I would be ecstatic with a one year turn around.  

But with my glass is empty view in regards to IUBB the last couple of years.  What happens in year 3 or 4? 

Years 3-4 will depend on how our 2018 recruits and Race turn out. And can we land 2-3 top 50 players in 2019. With Davis being uber important. 

3 hours ago, Iugradman said:

UNC went 19-11 in Roy’s first season and made the NCAA tournament. He won the national title the following year.

He had three McDonald's all Americans. If Archie went 19-11 and finished 5th in the conference with three burger boys how would you feel?

This season is a hell of a lot worse than I expected. Flat out embarrassing at times. But, we just have to trust the process now. Hopefully evaluations are already being made by the staff about who stays and goes. Big changes need to be made to this roster and lets see how it plays out.
Get ready to be blasted!!

17 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

People really need to just step off the ledge.  These transitions take time.  Look at Roy's first season at UNC and that was with 3 top 10 players.  Gregg Marshall did wonders at Winthrop but look at his first couple seasons at Wichita.   Look at Pitino's first season at UL.

I do not see many "on the ledge comments" but rather statements along the lines that the season so far is disappointing.

Do you have a different take? Do you think the season has exceeded expectations? I do not see how that could be possible but maybe you do think everything has been great so far.

I do not see many "on the ledge comments" but rather statements along the lines that the season so far is disappointing.
Do you have a different take? Do you think the season has exceeded expectations? I do not see how that could be possible but maybe you do think everything has been great so far.
The step of the ledge comments have been used since the crean era and are pulled out anytime somebody questions a loss of voices concern on how things are going. You are suppose to not question anything and sit and wait until a coaches third year before commenting. Just ignore them it's not worth the time.

Quick question would you rather have the results and not play great or would you rather play hard, gritty and not have the results? Basketball is crazy and can be cruel and it’s why I love it. My example IU is sitting at 2-2 in the B1G(3 of 4 games on the road) and played horrible in the 2 losses while Illinois has played hard, gritty and really well in almost all their B1G games but are 0-4. I know the answer but thought I would point how little the margin of error can be

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I honestly don't agree with the first part. The second part about simplifying things, I'm not as sure. Basketball systems aren't that complicated. Calipari has a new team virtually every single year to learn his system. I think Archie will be playing to win 100% not trying to build freshmen and such. If Freshmen are playing its because Archie thinks that gives us the best chance to win now. He won't be playing for future seasons.

I think if this season is a relative bust, the blame will fall on the players mostly for just not being good enough (which is very possible).

Archie will then have a window of time to get his guys together and win.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app