Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Dalton26

2017-18 Season Expectations

As of right now I expect us to outperform expectations. I'm thinking anywhere from 5-7 in the BIG, with 21 wins for the season and a tourney bid.

I don't know much about the team right now and projected starters. With limited information I'd guess we go with:

1. Newkirk

2. Johnson

3. Hartman 

4. Morgan

5. Davis

Thats the most talented starting 5 Archie has had, so I expect him to do well. I think we'll hit some bumps early in the season but by March we'll be hitting our stride. Looking forward to it!

Another key factor for this year is that we obviously have less individual talent, but I think we will be much more of a "team". We don't have a surefire NBA player on the roster trying to get his. That will lead to a lot of selfless basketball and a more fun team to watch, IMO. 

1 minute ago, VO5 said:

Another key factor for this year is that we obviously have less individual talent, but I think we will be much more of a "team". We don't have a surefire NBA player on the roster trying to get his. That will lead to a lot of selfless basketball and a more fun team to watch, IMO. 

I hope you're right. We have been waiting on the team you just described for a long time

Just now, Dalton26 said:

Thats where I'm at. If we miss the tournament this year I wont be surprised. This is one of those foundation years.

Yeah, I'm a bit nervous about our front court. I'm not as high on Davis as most are. I think Morgan really needs to take that next step offensively and become a double digit scoring guy too. Not sure if ROJO will be able to be the "man" either. 

Cons: PG is still an uncertainty, and the team will be adjusting to Archie's offense and defense.

Pros: One of the most talented teams Archie has coached, we have a handful of strong juniors and seniors, and the B1G doesn't appear to be very deep this year.

I think we'll end up in that 19-21 win season range.

I think we'll squeak our way into the Big Dance but won't have the horses to make much noise.  Avoiding serious injury and not being foul prone is a must for Davis in particular.  Johnson, Morgan and Davis definitely are starters out of the gate.  If he's healthy enough, so is Hartman.  Newkirk is our likely 5th starter, but I think that position is really up for grabs and even if Newkirk starts early in the season, I don't think he'll be a starter at the end of the season.  I'm really concerned that Hartman's knees aren't going to hold up for an entire season and his playing time decreases as the season wears on solely for that reason.  

I like the fact that Hartman is back and that we have leadership and there is also Rojo who should also step up and be a leader. I say at best we get to .500 and make the tournament and play well in conference play. There are going to be games we will win and lose but in ones we lose I don't want to get blown out in those loses make it be a close game from start to finish. 

44 minutes ago, IUfan_Charlie said:

Yeah, I'm a bit nervous about our front court. I'm not as high on Davis as most are. I think Morgan really needs to take that next step offensively and become a double digit scoring guy too. Not sure if ROJO will be able to be the "man" either. 

My concern is even if Davis is fantastic there isn't any depth behind him. Priller is really the back-up Center at this point.

Does anyone want to see McSwain or Moore guarding whatever freakishly gigantic dork Purdoo puts on the floor? Me either.  

55 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Top 5 in the Big Ten and a sweet 16 appearance. I think we take a few lumps early on but we'll be better for it come March. Anything can happen once you're in the tournament and I think Archie will coach us to the second weekend. 

I'm with you on the top 5 finish but I'll be content (at this point) with a single tourney win. Hey, and how about a B1G tourney championship for a change!?!

This team isn't spectacular, but has some tools and if Miller is the coach we all hope he should win right away. The B1G may be better, but still isn't scary at all.

Top 5 and definitely a tournament team. More talent on here than people are giving credit. Don't sleep on our backcourt depth, and if our freshmen can help out in the frontcourt , we will be a tough out for anyone.
Plus, good coaching has to count for something.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BtownBanners mobile app

Why is everyone so high on this team?

I'm guessing we'll get beat by the good teams in our OOC schedule, except that one big home game where the Hall takes over. We'll have one WTF lose to southeast northwest state U. Lots and lots of turnovers with little to no defense. B1G teams will laugh at Creany Tom as their coach owns him. We'll lose early in the BTT. We'll all laugh at our predictions and hope CTC gets fired.