Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Dalton26

2017-18 Season Expectations

I'm going stir crazy all I want is the season. 

Plenty of old good tournament games on YouTube. This morning I just watched wake Forest (Chris Paul) vs West Virginia second round game. West Virginia won in 2OT. Always fun watching old games and their coaches and see where they are coaching now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Everyone is sleeping on us because we don't have any ready NBA talent on this roster. Yes, some guys are going to have to step up and take it to the next level especially the Soph class. However, the national media has forgotten about a guy like Hartman and how valuable he is. I worry about not having a real backup to D. Davis but other than that think we have depth at all positions. 

Is it too much of a jump to say we could finish as high as #3 in the conference? Outside of Mich St, I know there are solid teams like Purdue, Minnesota and Northwestern but none too scary. 

26 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Everyone is sleeping on us because we don't have any ready NBA talent on this roster. Yes, some guys are going to have to step up and take it to the next level especially the Soph class. However, the national media has forgotten about a guy like Hartman and how valuable he is. I worry about not having a real backup to D. Davis but other than that think we have depth at all positions. 

Is it too much of a jump to say we could finish as high as #3 in the conference? Outside of Mich St, I know there are solid teams like Purdue, Minnesota and Northwestern but none too scary. 

I agree many are selling IU short, but #3 is probably too high. The talent, experience and coaching (I hope) point to a solid team that competes against everyone and wins it's share. I think 21-9/20-10 seems about right with a top half finish in conference.

While IU doesn't have a lot of dynamic players- neither does most of the rest of a mediocre B1G. If the Hoosiers just quit doing some of the incredibly dumb stuff we've been subjected to over the last several years (unforced TO's, inexplicable defense, etc) and simply play hard and smart, they'll be fine.   

I believe we could have a better TEAM than most expect. It won't be because we are uber talented but because we play as a team. We have some solid pieces that should get better as the season moves along. TEAM defense could keep us in a lot of games and offense will be enough to beat decent B1G teams.

I'm expecting 18-20 wins but wouldn't be surprised with a few more if we click. I expect the dumb decisions and lack of defense to be a thing of the past. I can't image we'll see a lack of effort either.

LESS turnovers. Period.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I would settle for using the bench as a punishment this year. Years of bad habits won't go away in a few months. I just don't want encouragement or clapping when somebody tosses it in the third row.

I would settle for using the bench as a punishment this year. Years of bad habits won't go away in a few months. I just don't want encouragement or clapping when somebody tosses it in the third row.

I'll be happy when a player stays in when he has the hot hand too.

On 10/9/2017 at 3:43 PM, mdn82 said:

My biggest thing this year is minimizing the highs and lows. By that I mean the 25-7 run followed by the other team going on a 14-5 run. This would happen most every game. Also I would like us to be improving as the season moves on. Wins and losses will come this year. I want to see improvements.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think this had a lot more to do with system (see : reliance on 3 pointers) and the lack of defensive intensity than it did anything else.  Whatever Coach Miller does or doesn't do, I would bet his offensive system will be more consistent; and our desire on the defensive end will improve over years past.  Someone (I think Stuhoo) mentioned above that Crean's offenses were successful; and they were as long as teams didn't take away transition.   When they did?  Crean's offense could look downright awful.   I expect better consistency on both ends under Miller; so I don't think we'll be as prone to streaks as we were.

6 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I think this had a lot more to do with system (see : reliance on 3 pointers) and the lack of defensive intensity than it did anything else.  Whatever Coach Miller does or doesn't do, I would bet his offensive system will be more consistent; and our desire on the defensive end will improve over years past.  Someone (I think Stuhoo) mentioned above that Crean's offenses were successful; and they were as long as teams didn't take away transition.   When they did?  Crean's offense could look downright awful.   I expect better consistency on both ends under Miller; so I don't think we'll be as prone to streaks as we were.

Sign me up! Call me kooky, but I'd take consistently solid- over huge swings from great to abysmal any day.

The inconsistency from possession to possession, let alone game to game and season to season wore me out.

It would be nice to see an IU team win a half court game.  We haven't seen that in almost a decade.  If we didn't run a team out of the gym, we always seem to struggle because of the game plan (lack there of).

I think it's been about 25 years if we are being truthful with a level of consistency.

I'd love to see a fundamentally sound and intelligent TEAM out there. It seems that too many times we had 5 players out there, but they weren't really playing team basketball. Five players who understand their strengths and weaknesses and how their role contributes to the whole. The rest will take care of itself if we see that.

Also, I understand that this is the first year for all of these guys playing in a new system, so there will be growing pains (not the kind we had before). But I want to see them playing their best in March - not in January or February (or the first game of the season).

5 minutes ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

I expected a lot better than this.

Did you, though? 8 games into a brand new system. A roster that lost a first round NIT game and then had 3 players leave for the NBA. At the very least we should wait until the new year to judge this team.