Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

33 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

So it's hard not to like his production at Peach Jam, the best young players in the nation.  He is higher on assists than anyone else we're offering (that's just a guess...).  And 18.7 ppg at Peach Jam for the facilitator says something.  

I really try not to get caught up in comparisons like this, but his game is very Yogi-like.  Fast, abrupt step-backs or drives to create just enough space to get a shot off.  He even ran up the floor with the ball to the 3pt line and knocked one down, just like the Yogs.  

Do I want this guy?  Well.  I want a PG.  Phinissee is pretty well accepted not to be a huge contributor for a few years.  Akinjo is likely more day-one ready.  I can't see that he is leaps and bounds ahead of Devoe, and Devoe seems to have the build for Archie's pack-line.  If Akinjo were to commit, I'd be thrilled.  Get him in here and start building this thing.  

Also, FYI, I saw in an interview it is pronounced "AkinYO."  

Not gonna lie, Akinjo's become the kid I want. See some Yogi in him, but the comp I've kind of settled on is Shabazz Napier. A little smaller and quicker, but just a badass competitor and leader. I can see the kid leading  a good team to the final 4 by shear force of will. Just feels like 1 of those guys to me.

Love this kids pull up game. Has made his size an advantage, but that is at the HS level. I see SOME Yogi, but dial it back a little. Yogi was a lot quicker and had handles that made him a day one kid from the jump. His shot wasn't near appreciated from most people and it feels like anytime a kid is his size and we are after him, a lot on here compare him to Yogi. I get that no one is saying he will be one of our best PG's of all time like Yogi was, but that is what he was. Like this kid and would take him in a heartbeat.

On the other hand I prefer DeVoe than Akinyo quite a bit, but nothing against Akinyo just think DeVoe has huge potential to be a 3-4 starter. DeVoe has been talked up to possibly move into the top 60. I expect James will be top 90 from all services too though.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

Not particularly surprising since Phinisee committed.

Updated: September 10, 2017 2:30 pm

James Akinjo, the 6-foot point guard from Salesian (CA) High School, will make his college decision on Monday at 2pm Pacific Time at his high school, per Twitter. He currently has a top five of Virginia, California, Maryland, Iowa State, and UConn.

The Huskies seem to be the favorite as Akinjo is coming off his first and only official visit to UConn this weekend (Sept. 8). With three predictions on 247Sports’ Crystal Ball, 100% of experts expect Akinjo to choose the Huskies.

According to 247Sports, Akinjo is ranked as the No. 105 overall player in the Class of 2018 and the No. 11 player from the state of California.

This summer, playing with the Oakland Soldiers on the Nike EYBL, Akinjo helped lead his team to a Peach Jam Title, adding 17 points and 5 assists in the title game.

Joining Akinjo on his official visit to UConn this past weekend was 2018 power forward Dimon Carrigan, who is also considering Clemson, Georgia Tech, Houston, Miami, Syracuse, Texas and Wichita State, and taking an official visit to Houston later this month (Sept. 23).

In addition to taking home a Peach Jam title, Akinjo had a tremendous summer, most recently taking home MVP honors at the NorCal Clash and scoring 43 points in the game.