Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

And if neither gets filled you can add a 12th next summer.

I like this idea. Go the grad transfer route to shore up any glaring holes we have and still keep the scholly for 19'

Personally, I like trying to build the roster that way. Get mostly 3-4 year players and throw in the occasional 1-2 year player when it works. As long as we can get the bulk of our recruits in the 50-100 range, we should have consistently competitive tournament teams that are capable of making deep runs on good years.
In my opinion, it's a much easier sell to a 5 star when you say, "Look what we did last year. We have most of our guys back and you could be the player that puts us over."

That is exactly the model MSU, U of L & UVA among others use. Seems to work out for them

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

14 hours ago, VO5 said:

I feel like Henry is jaded because of what happened. I think he'll be at Butler when all is said and done.

I could see Henry and his buddy Eric Hunter going to Butler together.

Eric Bossi:  Hardwood Classic: James Akinjo's recruitment has taken off

LAWRENCE, Kans. -- Just a week ago, point guard James Akinjo was helping the Oakland Soldiers hoist the championship trophy at Nike's Peach Jam. Akinjo and the Soldiers were knocked out at the Hardwood Classic on Sunday but he remains one of the hottest point guard recruits in America.

Currently a non ranked three-star prospect, the six footer has certainly made a strong case for the post summer Rivals150

"It always feels good to win, the Peach Jam was something that we worked hard all year for and it feels great. For me individually I wouldn't be anywhere without my team, they help me get all of my accolades and as a group they help to put me in a position to look good and score."

Prior to July's live periods, Akinjo picked up late spring offers from California and Connecticut -- who were both watching him on Saturday -- and since the Peach Jam he's added Indiana, Maryland, Iowa State (head coach Steve Prohm watched Saturday), UNLV and Pittsburgh.

While Akinjo seized opportunity to launch his recruitment into a new stratosphere, he always had the confidence that he would attract big offers.

"It was about opportunity and showing what I can do at the right time," said Akinjo. "I feel like I deserved offers from all of those schools and I feel like I deserve even more. I always felt like this was going to happen because I believed in the work that I was putting in and now I'm going to keep working."

Given that California is near Akinjo's home, he's been on campus and he feels like he has a good relationship with Wyking Jones.

"I have a great relationship with California, that's the hometown school," said Akinjo. "I've been knowing Wyking Jones for a couple of years now and we just keep building our relationship."

UConn head coach Kevin Ollie has been selling Akinjo on the idea of coming and playing for a former NBA point guard.

"Coach Ollie says to come play for a point guard," said Akinjo. "A lot of great point guards have gone to UConn and they really get the most out of them. I love the system."

With so much new attention, Akinjo hasn't set any kind of timetable and he said that no new offer stood out over the others. At some point he will look to set official visits and one program is sure to get a visit.

"I have to take my time and kind of investigate things," said Akinjo. "I am for sure going to take an official visit to UConn, that's the one for sure. I've been over to Cal unofficially and they are close enough that I don't have to take an official to them."

1 hour ago, goonaha said:

Rabjohns retweeted another Scout writer who has an article titled "Akinjo knows of three official visits". Rest is behind the paywall. Reading the tea leaves, I'm guessing IU is one of those; otherwise why would Rabby retweet it? I definitely could be wrong though.

A public Scout,com article.

Vegas: James Akinjo knows of three visits

After a successful run at the Nike Peach Jam in which James Akinjo led the Oakland Soldiers to the championship and won MVP in the process, the 2018 point guard is seeing.

After a successful run at the Nike Peach Jam in which James Akinjo led the Oakland Soldiers to the championship and won MVP in the process, the 2018 point guard is seeing recruiting pick up.

The 6-foot, 160-pound rising senior from Richmond (Calif.) Salesian has added offers from Indiana, Iowa State, Maryland, Pittsburgh and UNLV in the last couple weeks.

“I’m just working hard,” Akinjo said. “Hard work is paying off like it always does. I think I’m getting my teammates involved, scoring the ball and leading my team.”

With a host of old and new offers, Akinjo is still sorting out the process but has an idea of the next step.

“I’m going to take some visits in the fall and go from there,” he said, adding that UConn, Indiana and California would all get visits.

Akinjo broke down what he likes about each of those programs.

UConn: “That’s a really good school and they’ve always been in the mix. Me and coach (Kevin) Ollie have a great relationship.”

Indiana: “They always have a good program. I love their facilities. I really like coach Archie Miller and how he’s trying to build a relationship with me.”

Cal: “I love Cal. It’s a real good school and it’s my hometown. I love Cal.”