Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Riddle Me This

45 minutes ago, BTOWN said:

Just did some quick research and found this article

Looks like Moses Brown, Cole Anthony, and a number of former recruits you'd recognize were coached by Gladstone in a charity event a couple months ago. Pretty strategic move by Arch, I'd say. That's a hotbed of talent and at the very least, Gladstone can relate to them. 

Seems like a good hire by CAM.

Another plus---are his family connections. I did some research and his adopted brother is Rashon Burno who is an assistant coach for Arizona State with Hurley--apparently they both went to St. Anthony's.  Anyway--Burno was an assistant coach for Donovan at Florida and most recently at Nebraska where he only stayed a few days before leaving to reunite with Hurley. Connections are good in the recruiting world. 

9 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Fascinating development. What is the position of Grad Assistant anyway? Have we had them in the past?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I have no idea what the position actually entails but yes, we have had them in the past and Gabe Snider is on the current staff listed in that position.  I think it's pretty common.  If my aging memory is correct, I think Fran Fraschilla's kid was a GA on FCTC's staff.

11 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

We just hired Drew Gladstone as a graduate assistant.

Originally from Connecticut, played in Queens and NYC, college ball at DePaul.

Now the riddle; cause I gotta think there's a connection to a recruit here.

http://www.highrisebasketball.com/about.html

Hey...Gladstone and his High-Rise co-coach Spezzano have come a long way since their 2003 plastic machine gun, masked holdup of a Greenwich Connecticut convenience/stationery store!

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/04/nyregion/5-teenagers-in-greenwich-are-held-in-holdup-attempt.html

13 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Hey...Gladstone and his High-Rise co-coach Spezzano have come a long way since their 2003 plastic machine gun, masked holdup of a Greenwich Connecticut convenience/stationery store!

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/04/nyregion/5-teenagers-in-greenwich-are-held-in-holdup-attempt.html

Pales in comparison to the infamous Yuma incident.

11 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

I don't understand why they released the names for the 16 and 17 yr olds and not the 15 yr old.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Because at the time a 16 year old's initial appearance was in adult court (for certain charges) in Connecticut. Was amended in 2010 to having a 16 year old's initial appearance in juvenile court:

10 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

What's the deal with this Yuma thing? I've tried searching it before and found nothing.

I don't know really. I remember someone dropping a vague reference to it during the coaching search and subsequent hiring of Archie. Thought it would be a nice callback.

18 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Because at the time a 16 year old's initial appearance was in adult court (for certain charges) in Connecticut. Was amended in 2010 to having a 16 year old's initial appearance in juvenile court:

Makes sense. I really didnt think it through too hard obviously. lol

15 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

What's the deal with this Yuma thing? I've tried searching it before and found nothing.

Or maybe ;)  it was this!

MR. JUSTICE BUTLER delivered the opinion of the court.

ARCHIE Miller was charged with the larceny of one calf. He was found guilty and was sentenced to imprisonment in the penitentiary. He seeks a reversal of the sentence.

One E. M. Odell testified, in substance, as follows: Odell and Miller entered into an agreement, whereby Odell was to steal, at a farm designated by Miller, two calves and deliver them to Miller at a certain sand and gravel pit located off the road and about three miles from Wray. The pit was on land owned by Miller's father, and was directly across the road from the house in which Miller and his father lived. Miller was to pay Odell for the calves. If either was arrested, he was to take the blame. Odell stole the calves, put them on a trailer (also stolen by him), took them to the appointed place, arriving at about 1 o'clock at night, turned off his automobile lights, and thereupon Odell, Miller and a man whom we will call A (who, according to the evidence, was an ex-convict) transferred the two calves to Miller's truck, and Odell received the money that Miller had promised to pay. At Miller's request, Odell signed receipt for the money. Odell then drove from the pit towards the main highway and was arrested by the sheriff, and immediately thereafter the sheriff arrested Miller.

The sheriff testified that on the night in question he followed an automobile truck driven by Miller; that Miller drove past the gravel pit; that the sheriff and his deputies stopped at the gravel pit "to look the place over" and sent their automobile back to town; that in about half an hour or longer Miller returned, drove off the road, stopped at the gravel pit, and turned off the truck lights; that at about 1 o'clock at night the witness saw Odell and A transfer the calves to Miller's truck; and that he then arrested both Odell and Miller.

Miller testified substantially as follows: Miller agreed to buy two calves from Odell. Miller wanted the calves delivered at the home of his father, but Odell insisted upon delivering them at the sand and gravel pit. At about 10 o'clock at night Miller started for the pit, but "inadvertently" drove a considerable distance past it. He returned and went to the pit. Odell was not there. Miller turned off his lights and went to sleep. At about 1:15 o'clock Odell and A arrived with the calves, and Odell, Miller and A transferred them to Miller's truck, and Miller paid the money he promised to pay. When Miller was about to leave the gravel pit with the calves, he was arrested. Miller denied that he agreed to be a party to the theft of the calves, and denied that he knew that the calves were stolen. He said that he had often worked days and nights in his business, and did not think the time or place of delivery unusual, in view of Odell's statements to him.