Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Riddle Me This

48 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Or maybe ;)  it was this!

MR. JUSTICE BUTLER delivered the opinion of the court.

ARCHIE Miller was charged with the larceny of one calf. He was found guilty and was sentenced to imprisonment in the penitentiary. He seeks a reversal of the sentence.

One E. M. Odell testified, in substance, as follows: Odell and Miller entered into an agreement, whereby Odell was to steal, at a farm designated by Miller, two calves and deliver them to Miller at a certain sand and gravel pit located off the road and about three miles from Wray. The pit was on land owned by Miller's father, and was directly across the road from the house in which Miller and his father lived. Miller was to pay Odell for the calves. If either was arrested, he was to take the blame. Odell stole the calves, put them on a trailer (also stolen by him), took them to the appointed place, arriving at about 1 o'clock at night, turned off his automobile lights, and thereupon Odell, Miller and a man whom we will call A (who, according to the evidence, was an ex-convict) transferred the two calves to Miller's truck, and Odell received the money that Miller had promised to pay. At Miller's request, Odell signed receipt for the money. Odell then drove from the pit towards the main highway and was arrested by the sheriff, and immediately thereafter the sheriff arrested Miller.

The sheriff testified that on the night in question he followed an automobile truck driven by Miller; that Miller drove past the gravel pit; that the sheriff and his deputies stopped at the gravel pit "to look the place over" and sent their automobile back to town; that in about half an hour or longer Miller returned, drove off the road, stopped at the gravel pit, and turned off the truck lights; that at about 1 o'clock at night the witness saw Odell and A transfer the calves to Miller's truck; and that he then arrested both Odell and Miller.

Miller testified substantially as follows: Miller agreed to buy two calves from Odell. Miller wanted the calves delivered at the home of his father, but Odell insisted upon delivering them at the sand and gravel pit. At about 10 o'clock at night Miller started for the pit, but "inadvertently" drove a considerable distance past it. He returned and went to the pit. Odell was not there. Miller turned off his lights and went to sleep. At about 1:15 o'clock Odell and A arrived with the calves, and Odell, Miller and A transferred them to Miller's truck, and Miller paid the money he promised to pay. When Miller was about to leave the gravel pit with the calves, he was arrested. Miller denied that he agreed to be a party to the theft of the calves, and denied that he knew that the calves were stolen. He said that he had often worked days and nights in his business, and did not think the time or place of delivery unusual, in view of Odell's statements to him. 

Why was he not charged with the larceny of 2 calves? 

From the New Caanan, Ct. News:

St. Luke’s coach Drew Gladstone takes job at Indiana

Published 2:31 pm, Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Drew Gladstone has always maintained one mantra. It’s all about the kids.

So, when an incredible opportunity presented itself this summer, it was far from an easy decision for the former St. Luke’s coach who will be moving on to Indiana University to be a Graduate Assistant. “This wasn’t part of my plan,” Gladstone said. “I didn’t plan on leaving this year, but it was something that was presented to me. I’m a believer in trying to stretch yourself and get outside your comfort zone and Indiana is Indiana so it’s something I had to take a crack at. I’m lucky and honored to be considered for that spot, it’s going to be a great staff and there’s a lot of tradition in the program.”

It was through the AAU circuit with his program—High Rise Academy—along with scouts visiting St. Luke’s to recruit and getting a glimpse of the inner workings of the program that led to the offer for Gladstone. “I had a couple connections between people I knew and recruiting,” Gladstone said. “My name popped up with them looking to fill a position, they reached out and a couple people called on my behalf and they offered me the spot. It’s a who’s-who and them doing a little research.”

Before St. Luke’s, Gladstone was on the staff at Manhattan College, and his foray back into the Division I game had a lot to do with the prestige of Indiana. Gladstone will be working on the basketball side of things, scouting teams and players and coaching, while also taking classes towards a Master’s degree. “If you want to be a coach, it’s the exact way you want to get your foot in the door,” Gladstone said. “And Indiana is Indiana, so it’s hard to turn that down.”

In his three years at the helm of the Storm, Gladstone changed the culture at the New Canaan school. St. Luke’s went 15-10 playing with only five players in his first year, and the last two seasons went a combined 49-2—winning back-to-back FAA and NEPSAC Class C titles. “It started with us building a culture of working hard, having kids with like-minded goals and aspirations and creating that winning mentality of competing every rep, every play, every time we came on the court,” Gladstone said of the upward trajectory. “The second year was really special where we were able to beat some really high-level teams, but it was all about the kids buying in and wanting to be a part of a great program. I couldn’t have done it without them and I was lucky to be able to coach kids like that.”

Even with him gone, Gladstone is confident about the shape in which he is leaving the program. “We’re going to have an amazing core coming back,” he said. “Jonas Harper has been the starting point guard for three years, and between Andrew Varoli, Jackson Salvala and Jackson Ryan, those guys have been a part of championship teams, so they have the formula and those guys understand what it takes. I think we’ve really done a good job between my staff and the kids and the administration of establishing that culture and it’s going to be able to sustain itself for at least the next couple of years.”

When all is said and done, Gladstone took the most pride about molding young men and providing them a chance to play at the next level with a free college education—like he did for Walter Whyte (Boston University) and Joel Boyce (Coppin State).

“The true highlight of being at St. Luke’s was helping with the growth of these kids,” Gladstone said. “And helping kids like Walter and Joel go to college for free.”

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

From the New Caanan, Ct. News:

St. Luke’s coach Drew Gladstone takes job at Indiana

Published 2:31 pm, Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Drew Gladstone has always maintained one mantra. It’s all about the kids.

So, when an incredible opportunity presented itself this summer, it was far from an easy decision for the former St. Luke’s coach who will be moving on to Indiana University to be a Graduate Assistant. “This wasn’t part of my plan,” Gladstone said. “I didn’t plan on leaving this year, but it was something that was presented to me. I’m a believer in trying to stretch yourself and get outside your comfort zone and Indiana is Indiana so it’s something I had to take a crack at. I’m lucky and honored to be considered for that spot, it’s going to be a great staff and there’s a lot of tradition in the program.”

It was through the AAU circuit with his program—High Rise Academy—along with scouts visiting St. Luke’s to recruit and getting a glimpse of the inner workings of the program that led to the offer for Gladstone. “I had a couple connections between people I knew and recruiting,” Gladstone said. “My name popped up with them looking to fill a position, they reached out and a couple people called on my behalf and they offered me the spot. It’s a who’s-who and them doing a little research.”

Before St. Luke’s, Gladstone was on the staff at Manhattan College, and his foray back into the Division I game had a lot to do with the prestige of Indiana. Gladstone will be working on the basketball side of things, scouting teams and players and coaching, while also taking classes towards a Master’s degree. “If you want to be a coach, it’s the exact way you want to get your foot in the door,” Gladstone said. “And Indiana is Indiana, so it’s hard to turn that down.”

In his three years at the helm of the Storm, Gladstone changed the culture at the New Canaan school. St. Luke’s went 15-10 playing with only five players in his first year, and the last two seasons went a combined 49-2—winning back-to-back FAA and NEPSAC Class C titles. “It started with us building a culture of working hard, having kids with like-minded goals and aspirations and creating that winning mentality of competing every rep, every play, every time we came on the court,” Gladstone said of the upward trajectory. “The second year was really special where we were able to beat some really high-level teams, but it was all about the kids buying in and wanting to be a part of a great program. I couldn’t have done it without them and I was lucky to be able to coach kids like that.”

Even with him gone, Gladstone is confident about the shape in which he is leaving the program. “We’re going to have an amazing core coming back,” he said. “Jonas Harper has been the starting point guard for three years, and between Andrew Varoli, Jackson Salvala and Jackson Ryan, those guys have been a part of championship teams, so they have the formula and those guys understand what it takes. I think we’ve really done a good job between my staff and the kids and the administration of establishing that culture and it’s going to be able to sustain itself for at least the next couple of years.”

When all is said and done, Gladstone took the most pride about molding young men and providing them a chance to play at the next level with a free college education—like he did for Walter Whyte (Boston University) and Joel Boyce (Coppin State).

“The true highlight of being at St. Luke’s was helping with the growth of these kids,” Gladstone said. “And helping kids like Walter and Joel go to college for free.”

Is Drew the Odell character in the previous article? Is hiring Drew going to get Archie arrested?