Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

2020 General Recruiting Thread

30 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

So 51% is like a good thing, right?

From the Bloomington, Herald Times - Anthony Leal, So., Bloomington South: Incredibly accurate from distance, the sophomore made better than 51 percent from 3-pt range.  In total, Leal hit 66 shots from beyond the arc. Scored 14.4 pts per game, including six 20-pt performances.

Ted Kitchel-like

2 hours ago, Geometry Hoosier said:

What am I missing here? I've watched this kid play several times and haven't been impressed.

6'9" and 220 lbs.; a junior so possibly adds another inch or two.  From what little I've read about him, expectations are high.  He'll be interesting to follow this high school season.

Maryland offered Leal today. Going to get to the point where staff will have to make a choice on whether they want to offer or not. I’m sure they would like to wait a while longer but at some point they will have to decide on if they want to offer probably sooner rather then later

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I hope they offer him now.  I want him on the team.  And it has seemed like he would accept the offer almost on the spot.  His social media activity shows that he tracks all of the IU guys.  Some of us are feeling burnt that TJD is holding off on his commitment, somewhat to the detriment of the program.  Getting a Top 100 kid to commit in the middle of his junior year would help the optics of "an Indiana scholarship offer is important."

We're not talking about some scrub here, either.  After a great spring in AAU he rose to #79 composite.  Higher than Al, Jake, Rob, Devonte, Juwan, Zach, Clifton, Damezi, Race, and Evan.  He's a ball handling scoring guard, which we'll need.  Described as a high motor.  Has a 4.3 GPA.  I just don't see a reason not to jump on this.

I hope they offer him now.  I want him on the team.  And it has seemed like he would accept the offer almost on the spot.  His social media activity shows that he tracks all of the IU guys.  Some of us are feeling burnt that TJD is holding off on his commitment, somewhat to the detriment of the program.  Getting a Top 100 kid to commit in the middle of his junior year would help the optics of "an Indiana scholarship offer is important."

We're not talking about some scrub here, either.  After a great spring in AAU he rose to #79 composite.  Higher than Al, Jake, Rob, Devonte, Juwan, Zach, Clifton, Damezi, Race, and Evan.  He's a ball handling scoring guard, which we'll need.  Described as a high motor.  Has a 4.3 GPA.  I just don't see a reason not to jump on this.

This is where I’m glad I’m not the coach and why they get paid what they do because this is definitely a tough situation. 2020 class will probably be a smaller class. They are in good position with Love and Morton who the staff have already offered and targeted. Now you have a top 100 guard in your own backyard that is receiving offers from other B1G schools and Stanford really likes. If you offer Leal he is probably going to commit soon after( my opinion). My guess is they would like his high school season to track him more and see how he develops but there is going to be a point where Leal might start asking why no offer and possibly move on. Personally I would offer him I liked what I saw over the summer

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

This is where I’m glad I’m the coach and why they get paid what they do because this is definitely a tough situation. 2020 class will probably be a smaller class. They are in good position with Love and Morton who the staff have already offered and targeted. Now you have a top 100 guard in your own backyard that is receiving offers from other B1G schools and Stanford really likes. If you offer Leal he is probably going to commit soon after( my opinion). My guess is they would like his high school season to track him more and see how he develops but there is going to be a point where Leal might start asking why no offer and possibly move on. Personally I would offer him I liked what I saw over the summer

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Happy to meet you coach mail man

5 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Not particularly good numbers. I thought shooting was supposed to be a strength of his?

It is.  It's hard to get results on Bloom. So. without a paid subscription to the Btown newspaper which I refuse to do, but I believe I read somewhere that his shooting wasn't particularly good in his first game of this season either but historically, he has been a very good shooter.  I haven't been able to find it, but last season he was phenomenal from 3-point line; I think it was right around 50%.  Not sure if he's hobbled by an injury or what the case might be.

17 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Have to hit on the 2019 In-State class...nothing in 2020. 2021 will be loaded. 

Real curious to see how the staff plans for the '20 in-state kids.  No offers to date, and I am not sure that we will see one in the coming months barring tremendous growth from Leal or Galloway.

54 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

Real curious to see how the staff plans for the '20 in-state kids.  No offers to date, and I am not sure that we will see one in the coming months barring tremendous growth from Leal or Galloway.

Don’t know why we wouldn’t offer Leal. He’s higher ranked than 4 of Archie 6 recruits. Not counting Race btw

13 hours ago, Iugradman said:

Not particularly good numbers. I thought shooting was supposed to be a strength of his?

Finally found the tweet.

As a soph, Anthony Leal, a 6’5” guard, avgd 14.4 pts & 4.3 rebounds per game. He hit better than 51% from 3-pt range and finished with 66 makes from that distance. 404 pts scored as a soph