Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

2020 General Recruiting Thread

They continue to classify Morton as a PG but with the way he scores, seems more like a SG to me or is he an Isiah Thomas type PG?  Your thoughts?

Most definitely PG on offense and can play the SG and wing positions. His passing and court awareness is really good. Defensively he will have to guard the sg and wings positions. As of now not fast enough to guard pgs at the college level.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

They tag Love as a PG as well. Maybe he plays point during the AAU season, and physically he’s prototypical. But I’ve now seen him 3 times this year, and he plays almost exclusively off the ball. They run him off a lot of down screens and initiate for him on the wing. He then either a) attacks the rim, usually baseline, and he’s a very strong finisher, b) creates a little space for an iffy 3, or c) just reverses the ball. Hasn’t shown me even flashes of a PG mentality. Other than defensively, where he’s a legit badass, I’m not really a fan yet. 

Evansville Courier Press -

EVANSVILLE – Kiyron Powell laughed as he heard Bosse High School teammate George Madison say: “Best center in the state,” as he walked past.

“Yes sir, best center in the state, right here at Evansville Bosse,” said Powell, beaming after filling the stat sheet in lifting the Bulldogs past Harrison 74-56 on Tuesday night at the Dawg House. “I just try to come out here and give my all.”

Well, his all was 16 points, 14 rebounds, six blocks and four assists against the Warriors.

“Basketball is something I love and it’s my duty to be the best that I can,” said Powell, a 6-foot-10 junior who has been offered scholarships by Kansas State, Georgetown, Xavier, New Orleans, Miami (Ohio) and the University of Evansville.

Long regarded as a monster shot-blocker defensively, Powell’s offensive game continues to evolve, whether it was sinking a short one-hander in the lane or flushing a beautiful alley-oop pass from Kolten Sanford.

“I’ve worked really hard over the summer to improve my offensive moves,” said Powell, who was 6-for-10 from the field. “I have a different role. I have to be a bigger factor at the offensive end.”

If you’re a basketball fan of a certain age, you’ll recall legendary Hall of Fame coach Al McGuire referring to a long and tall player with a wingspan that seemingly reached across the ocean as an “aircraft carrier.”

McGuire guided Marquette to the 1977 NCAA championship and later argued constantly with annoying Billy Packer when both were college basketball TV analysts. Young at the time, Bosse coach Shane Burkhart remembers the term, “aircraft carrier.”

“He’s a stat stuffer, there’s no about that,” said Burkhart, referring to Powell and his staggering potential.

But he was unhappy that Powell’s teammates didn’t play much defense, relying on him to clean up their mistakes and clean up under the boards as well.

“We were lucky that we hit eight 3’s – we haven’t done that all year,” Burkhart said. “On top of that Kiyron was phenomenal offensively. But our team defense was poor. For me to stay that is very disturbing and very frustrating. For where we want to go and where we want to be, we can’t be that defensively.”

After scoring a modest two points in 12 minutes in his first game returning from a broken foot, an 80-54 romp at Terre Haute South on Saturday, Sanford responded with 13 points off the bench against Harrison. Not only did he knock down three 3s, he made a driving layup, proving to himself and others that he was not favoring his foot in the least.

He also made the aforementioned alley-oop pass to Powell, but his decision-making wasn’t always crystal clear and was sometimes a little slow, Burkhart said.

“Like I told him in the locker room, no expectations,” Burkhart said. “Every day we want him to get himself better and not overdo his foot and give what he gave us tonight.”

Powell said Sanford is like an offensive coordinator on the basketball court.

“He’s a great player – I love playing with Kolten,” Powell said. “On the floor he sees everything. He and I have a connection like no other. It’s great.”

Freshman Matt Wagner flashed his potential, nailing four 3s, all in the second quarter.

“He’s a monster,” Powell said. “He works hard and I’m proud of him.”

Donovan McNeal scored eight of his 12 points in the second period as Bosse seized control. The Bulldogs improved to 14-6 overall and 3-2 in the Southern Indiana Athletic Conference.

Burkhart always says his team is a work in progress, but has so many different pieces to choose from as he tries to solve that given night’s puzzle.

Mason Bost paced Harrison with 14 points. After making a late-season push, the Warriors have suddenly lost three a in row, falling to 11-9, 3-3.

Burkhart said this year’s Bosse team reminds him of his 2016 Class 3A state runner-up squad. The Bulldogs have a chance to be great, but have to put it all together. Like most coaches, he’s never satisfied.

“We’re too close to where you lose and you’re done to be satisfied,” Burkhart said. “To hear people pat you on the back and say, ‘great game,’ is not our goal. Our goal is to make history and that’s what we’re going to push for.”

On 10/5/2018 at 7:33 AM, ccgeneral said:

@RyanJamesMN: Indiana will be in to see East Ridge top 50 2020 talent Ben Carlson on Friday

Rivals

We are watching again.

@RyanJamesMN: East Ridge 2020 Ben Carlson will have Indiana assistant Tom Ostrom in to watch him this evening.

We are watching again.
@RyanJamesMN: East Ridge 2020 Ben Carlson will have Indiana assistant Tom Ostrom in to watch him this evening.

This kid reminds me of TJ Leaf except he doesn’t appear to have the jump shot unless he just doesn’t shoot very much because I haven’t seen it at all in his highlights.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Evansville Courier Press article previewing a sectional match-up between Kiyron Powell and Evansville Bosse facing Blake Sisley and Heritage Hills.  Specific to Powell:

One of the most intriguing individual matchups will be the battle in the post between Bosse’s Kiyron Powell and the Patriots’ Blake Sisley. Powell, a 6-10 junior, has been offered a scholarship by Kansas State, Xavier, the University of Evansville, Miami (Ohio), New Orleans and Georgetown. Sisley, a 6-8 sophomore, has been scouted in person by UE coach Walter McCarty. Miami (Ohio) and Clemson have also expressed interest.

Powell, who is averaging 10.5 points, ranks second in the state in blocks (6.9) and 12th in rebounding (6.9), according to MaxPreps

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/02/25/simon-scherry-heritage-hills-look-neutralize-bosses-quickness/2919360002/