Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

2020 General Recruiting Thread

Rankings aren’t the end all be all.

I like Galloway and Cross as underrated recruits.

I’m a little more lukewarm about Leal and Loveday relative to rankings

Seems like

Guards: wishlist order for me

1. Steward
2. RJ Davis
3. Galloway
4. Pack
5. Leal
6. Diarra
7. Goode

I left Love off because I think we have no shot.

Get 2 of these 7 guys.

Wings-

1.) Matt Cross

Get him. I like him a lot. I realize he is a volume shooter in AAU and percentages are ideal but he’s a worker, scorer, 4 year guy. Can do a lot on the court and can shot it well at 6’7”. I’d give him Justin Smiths spot yesterday.

Bigs

1. Garcia- Stud. Chances are probably slim
2. Hutchins- would be excellent
3. Loveday- would also be excellent just to get that kind of size.

Worried we won’t land any of these 3 and then we start scurrying.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I agree on Cross. He almost feels like a Will Sheehey type of player. Not a true wing. Struggles from distance, but can get hot. Not afraid to mix it up. Just a dog. We really need a player like that skill and personality wise.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

On 5/30/2019 at 6:34 PM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Archie was previously and recently quoted saying he thinks 10-11 scholarship players is ideal because numbers 11,12,13 aren’t seeing a pathway to playing time.

I get it. I think it makes a lot of sense.

But.... Archie also quoted saying he wants 4 guys in 2020. That would put us back at 13 again.

I think the truth is we struck out on our ideal targets and Archie would rather roll short than reaching for guys or getting me-first guys.

Anyway, just my 2 cents to explain the dichotomy of quotes and actions.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If Archie’s believes in not using 20+ % of his scholarships, I probably need to rethink my support. We all witnessed last year with injuries and his poor decision on a 5th year player. Why would you just give up on this opportunity. I would grab a shooter and serviceable big rather than a Bawa/Tijan flyers and see if they can make the rotation. I can understand the one walkon/ gpa booster scholarship but to leave any unused is short sighted and poor coaching team management. 

36 minutes ago, schoosier said:

If Archie’s believes in not using 20+ % of his scholarships, I probably need to rethink my support. We all witnessed last year with injuries and his poor decision on a 5th year player. Why would you just give up on this opportunity. I would grab a shooter and serviceable big rather than a Bawa/Tijan flyers and see if they can make the rotation. I can understand the one walkon/ gpa booster scholarship but to leave any unused is short sighted and poor coaching team management. 

Any extras after a recruiting should be used on grad transfers that way you have as many bodies as possible but stay flexible next cycle. Maybe keep 1 in the event of a big transfer but even that I’m skeptical on 

2 hours ago, schoosier said:

Wish granted:

VIjay Blackmon - 12th man, academic all B1G, pretty good shooter, no playing time expectations.

31 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Wish granted:

VIjay Blackmon - 12th man, academic all B1G, pretty good shooters, no playing time expectations.

So he’s taking a scholarship? Doesn’t that still leave us with 2 to fill and are we done for 2019? Thanks in advance.

So he’s taking a scholarship? Doesn’t that still leave us with 2 to fill and are we done for 2019? Thanks in advance.

If he's taking a scholarship that would be 12. When people say we will only have 10 scholarship players they are assuming Hunter won't be cleared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, schoosier said:

Assuming Hunter can play (likely but not certain) we will have eleven scholly players expecting/hoping for rotation minutes.

More than that would be problematic for team chemistry IMO.

Assuming Hunter can play (likely but not certain) we will have eleven scholly players expecting/hoping for rotation minutes.
More than that would be problematic for team chemistry IMO.

Agree and that is why spots 12 and 13 should be (transfer sit a year, redshirt, or that occasional developmental guy that has the right frame of mind).

Although I think you need 9 guys that can contribute. Running at 11 leaves little margin of error before walk ons.

It’s difficult this day and age with instant gratification vs one and done vs inflated egos all mixed together.

Having 2 or 3 Walk ons like McRoberts and maybe Vijay can be that emergency type plug.

So if we go 11 available scholarship type roster, get good walk ons.

My initial post however, makes me believe he is aiming for 4 recruits and thus 13 scholarship players next season again. So I think he just wants the right guys. I think he does want 13 if they are on the same page.

Running 13 will invariably lead to transfers probably an average of 2 per season.

Pick your poison I guess.

If your top 8 is the right 8, 9-13 has little meaning anyway.

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Agree and that is why spots 12 and 13 should be (transfer sit a year, redshirt, or that occasional developmental guy that has the right frame of mind).

Although I think you need 9 guys that can contribute. Running at 11 leaves little margin of error before walk ons.

It’s difficult this day and age with instant gratification vs one and done vs inflated egos all mixed together.

Having 2 or 3 Walk ons like McRoberts and maybe Vijay can be that emergency type plug.

So if we go 11 available scholarship type roster, get good walk ons.

My initial post however, makes me believe he is aiming for 4 recruits and thus 13 scholarship players next season again. So I think he just wants the right guys. I think he does want 13 if they are on the same page.

Running 13 will invariably lead to transfers probably an average of 2 per season.

Pick your poison I guess.

If your top 8 is the right 8, 9-13 has little meaning anyway.

Agree: our roster balance is optimum right now, and the number of players with rotation expectations is quite good.

Our challenge is almost entirely on-court performance.

Several IU targets participating in the Pangos All-American Camp.  NOTE:  The second column captioned FG-FGA is their 3-point shooting stat.

FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OFF DEF TOT PF TP A TO BLK STL
Terrence Clarke 7-9 3-5 1-1 0 0 0 0 18 3 1 0 0

Terrence Clarke 6-14 4-9 4-4 0 2 2 0 20 1 2 0 0

RJ Davis 0-4 0-2 3-3 0 0 0 0 3 0 1 0 0

RJ Davis 2-6 1-3 7-7 1 3 4 0 12 2 2 0 0

Hassan Diarra 4-6 0-1 0-0 0 1 1 0 8 1 0 0 0

Hassan Diarra 6-8 1-3 1-1 1 2 3 1 14 2 0 0 3