Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

2020 General Recruiting Thread

17 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Evansville Courier Press article previewing a sectional match-up between Kiyron Powell and Evansville Bosse facing Blake Sisley and Heritage Hills.  Specific to Powell:

One of the most intriguing individual matchups will be the battle in the post between Bosse’s Kiyron Powell and the Patriots’ Blake Sisley. Powell, a 6-10 junior, has been offered a scholarship by Kansas State, Xavier, the University of Evansville, Miami (Ohio), New Orleans and Georgetown. Sisley, a 6-8 sophomore, has been scouted in person by UE coach Walter McCarty. Miami (Ohio) and Clemson have also expressed interest.

Powell, who is averaging 10.5 points, ranks second in the state in blocks (6.9) and 12th in rebounding (6.9), according to MaxPreps

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/02/25/simon-scherry-heritage-hills-look-neutralize-bosses-quickness/2919360002/

That Powell has a K-State offer makes him really intriguing to me. Whatever you might think of Bruce Webber as a coach, and I think he’s very good, he identifies a ton of under the radar kids. That, and 7 blocks a game. 

14 minutes ago, Demo said:

That Powell has a K-State offer makes him really intriguing to me. Whatever you might think of Bruce Webber as a coach, and I think he’s very good, he identifies a ton of under the radar kids. That, and 7 blocks a game. 

Blake Sisley "was scouted in person" by McCarty, who also offered a scholarship the next day.  Great opening round Sectional matchup!

8 minutes ago, InArchWeTrust said:

Blake Sisley "was scouted in person" by McCarty, who also offered a scholarship the next day.  Great opening round Sectional matchup!

Yeah, this time of year is when I really miss living in Indiana. There is always a great matchup to see somewhere. 

1 minute ago, Demo said:

Yeah, this time of year is when I really miss living in Indiana. There is always a great matchup to see somewhere. 

I agree.  It's unfortunate that these two were drawn to play in the first round.  The two best teams in the Boonville Sectional but it is what it is.

I agree.  It's unfortunate that these two were drawn to play in the first round.  The two best teams in the Boonville Sectional but it is what it is.

If HHHS 3 main scoring threats are on, they'll be hard to beat by anyone. I'll be there watching tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Kiyron Powell and Ev. Bosse were beaten by Ev. Memorial 69 - 57.  Powell picked up his 4th foul with 6 min. left in the 3rd Q and ultimately fouled out; no stats for him in the Courier Press article.  However, a young man by the name of Cade Graham played pretty darn well for Memorial.

Cade Graham has felt the pressure his entire life of being the son of Pat Graham, the 1989 Indiana Mr. Basketball and a standout at Indiana University.

Well, perhaps not so much anymore.

His father is now Memorial High School’s gray-haired assistant coach and Cade has stepped to the forefront. There’s no time like the present.

Cade, a 6-foot-2 junior, scored 18 of his game-high 26 points in the second half, including a 10-of-10 night from the line, to lift the Tigers to a 69-57 victory over neighborhood rival Bosse on Friday in the Class 3A Boonville Sectional semifinals.

Full game story:  https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/03/01/memorial-no-longer-no-2-its-east-side-neighborhood-rival/2952466002/

'20 PF Davion Bradford @ the game tonight per Usps.
https://247sports.com/Player/Davion-Bradford-46048235/

With Indiana watching, 7-footer Davion Bradford goes for a double-double in a playoff win.
Rabjohns

3 hours ago, Demo said:

I was there and did not see an IU Coach, though I wasn’t really looking for 1. I had him with 12pts/ 10rebs/3 blocks/1 assist, 6-7 fgs  0-4 fts. 

The kid really is a full 6’11” or 7’. Probably 250. Has a great frame. Big all over. A college weight program probably gets him to 275 no problem. Has plus length. Was stretching by just reaching up and grabbing the net with both hands. Runs ok but is no rim runner. Quicker laterally than forward and back. Surprising knee bend for such a big kid. Gets off the floor ok, but gathers. Best physical trait, by far, are his hands. Has great hands for a big. Not good, great. Caught everything he touched, easily. 

Offensively, Bradford is a classic old school low post big. He did not touch the ball on offense more than 6ft from the basket all night. Not once. He worked hard for deep position and was immovable once he established. Couldn’t really assess his skill level at all. The opponent was packing in a 2-3 zone all night and just draping guys on him. None of his pts were from a post move. Just putbacks and finishes off of feeds, though 1 finish was a lefty reverse layup. Pretty impressive. The free throw shooting is a problem. Not only 0-4 in the game, but also 0fer in warmups. Form is decent. Shoulder, elbow, wrist are in alignment.  Balance and body position are ok, though he has no forward lean. But the ball comes off his hand with counterclockwise english, like he has the wrist snap for a breaking ball. Weird.

Somebody has coached him pretty well defensively. Did not bite on shot fakes, He contested shots by standing straight up and putting his hands straight up. Had 3 blocks without leaving his feet once and didn’t commit a defensive foul. He’s not quick or explosive enough to be a big time shot blocker. But is so big that he can contest. He never had to, but I question if he is quick enough to hedge and recover on pick and roll, and I’m confident he can’t blitz one. The best thing Bradford did defensively was communicate. The kid never stopped talking and was yelling out actions so loudly that I could here every instruction from 15 rows up. Loved his competitiveness. He was active and engaged all night. Played hard. Was clearly the leader on the floor.

I expected him to be a less talented AJ Hammons. He’s not as good an athlete or as mobile  as Hammons and I doubt he has that ceiling. But he played and competed hard for a big and really seems to like to play. The comp that really leapt out was the late John Stewart from Lawrence North. If Archie is looking for a traditional big, Bradford is absolutely that. 

Very in-depth analysis, good work Demo

1 hour ago, HoosierDYT said:

Great analysis, Demo! Seems like someone to take DD's spot upon his graduation. But...do want that type of player? I though CAM would want someone who can hedge and return quicker 

I have the same question. As much as Archie has spoken about positionless players and trying to push the pace more, Bradford is pretty obviously as position specific as it gets and very much a half court player. But he is just a junior, so they may be anticipating better athleticism as he matures. And the old axiom that you can’t teach size? He is a BIG kid.

Bradford/Mehlville plays Caleb Love/CBC Saturday night. CBC would be more likely to play Bradford straight up. I may check that one out to get a better look at his skill set. Oh, and for another chance to be underwhelmed by Caleb Love.

5 hours ago, Demo said:

and for another chance to be underwhelmed by Caleb Love.

I'm with you.  I'm just not that impressed with what I've seen of him on their game streams.  Far from a dominating player and doesn't really do anything that makes him stand out on the court.  I don't understand the hype.

Great analysis, Demo! Seems like someone to take DD's spot upon his graduation. But...do want that type of player? I though CAM would want someone who can hedge and return quicker 

I’m afraid you’ll need someone like that in the Big Ten, as long as it remains tackle basketball. I’d prefer to have solid options with players willing to sacrifice for the team.