Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

IU athletic department ranked 41/65

What do you expect, new football and basketball head coach.  Baseball head coach that shouldn't be the head coach, and a soccer program that has struggled to score goals for years.  

Don't get me wrong 3 of those 4 sports I have some optimism with, but we haven't shown anything to deserve better

Stanford sure gets a bump up from all the preppy sports.

To give a better idea of revenue sports, here's how they fared in 16-17 either making a bowl game or the NCAA mens tournament.

Both FB Only BB Only Neither
Florida St Boston College Duke Syracuse
Louisville Clemson Notre Dame Texas
Miami FL Georgia Tech Virginia Texas Tech
North Carolina NC State Iowa St Illinois
Virginia Tech Pittsburgh Kansas Rutgers
Wake Forest Oklahoma Michigan St Arizona St
Baylor TCU Purdue California
Kansas St Indiana Arizona Oregon St
Oklahoma St Iowa Oregon Missouri
West Virginia Nebraska UCLA Ole Miss
Maryland Ohio St    
Michigan Penn St    
Minnesota Colorado    
Northwestern Stanford    
Wisconsin Utah    
USC Washington     
Arkansas Washington St    
Florida Alabama    
Kentucky Auburn    
South Carolina Georgia    
Vanderbilt LSU    
  Mississippi St    
  Tennessee    
  Texas A&M    
21 24 10 10

On 7/6/2017 at 7:00 PM, Brass Cannon said:

What do you expect, new football and basketball head coach.  Baseball head coach that shouldn't be the head coach, and a soccer program that has struggled to score goals for years.  

Don't get me wrong 3 of those 4 sports I have some optimism with, but we haven't shown anything to deserve better

Lemonis shouldn't be the head coach? Based on what? He's been here 3 years: NCAA at large, no tournament but winning record, and NCAA at large. He is literally responsible for a third of our all time NCAA appearances. That's not good enough for our "elite" program? He recruits well too. He was Louisville's top assistant. Sometimes I really wonder how much our fans even watch the games.

(By the way, Tracy Smith just missed the tournament with ASU, their first losing season in like 50 years...with a ton of talent.)

Soccer won a national title in 2012, makes the NCAA tournament every year, and is pretty much always in the top 10. Their offense was maddening last year, but they are fine.

You don't seem to understand what this ranking is. New football/basketball coaches are irrelevant. It's based on the AD's performance from previous years in the Learfield standings. Basketball didn't help last year, but what really kills us is the women's sports. I like the new softball hire. I don't know what your issue is with the baseball and soccer programs though. They aren't hurting us at all.

3 minutes ago, RBB89 said:

Lemonis shouldn't be the head coach? Based on what? He's been here 3 years: NCAA at large, no tournament but winning record, and NCAA at large. He is literally responsible for a third of our all time NCAA appearances. That's not good enough for our "elite" program? He recruits well too. He was Louisville's top assistant. Sometimes I really wonder how much our fans even watch the games.

(By the way, Tracy Smith just missed the tournament with ASU, their first losing season in like 50 years...with a ton of talent.)

Soccer won a national title in 2012, makes the NCAA tournament every year, and is pretty much always in the top 10. Their offense was maddening last year, but they are fine.

You don't seem to understand what this ranking is. New football/basketball coaches are irrelevant. It's based on the AD's performance from previous years in the Learfield standings. Basketball didn't help last year, but what really kills us is the women's sports. I like the new softball hire. I don't know what your issue is with the baseball and soccer programs though. They aren't hurting us at all.

If you don't think Lemonis has made the baseball team worse since he got it I am not sure what to say really. 

If you don't think Lemonis has made the baseball team worse since he got it I am not sure what to say really. 

He has unquestionable made it worse. I'm baffled that anyone would even attempt at arguing that.

I still think Glass should be fired.  

- yes we made the baseball tournament two of the last three years but before those years I thought we had an opportunity, with our new stadium and resources,  to be an elite program one day (going to Omaha or Super Regionals every other year).

- 2012 we did win a national championship in soccer but have done nothing since.  Indiana is an elite soccer program and should be doing much better.

- volleyball  we really stink but yet have not made the decision to fire a bad coach (though I hear a nice person).

- Basketball. I'm glad we have Archie, but Coach Crean should have been fired a few years ago.

- I think the swimming teams have done well in the olympics, but have brought us few national titles ( I believe).

- Football - I think Wilson was OK (results wise) and I like the guy we hired ( I'm afraid of losing him to a big football school though).

I think we should be doing better as a program but that's just my opinion.  

I think the baseball team has gotten worse from where Tracy Smith had it but it is light years ahead of where we have been.

Well the softball team finally got a new coach after me saying and hearing how bad she was and it is a good thing the coach is a former player and her assistants are former players one played for a good high school and was a starting pitcher at UK. 

21 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

You mean the team got worse after the best two years in program history? Who could have seen that coming....

21 hours ago, Dalton26 said:

He has unquestionable made it worse. I'm baffled that anyone would even attempt at arguing that.

No one was arguing that. it was a strawman argument put up by the person you quoted. C'mon guys, at least argue fairly...

1 hour ago, KB0 said:

You mean the team got worse after the best two years in program history? Who could have seen that coming....

It could be argued the basketball team had its two best years in 75-76 and yet while the following seasons weren't as impressive they were still competing on a national level. 

The last 3 years the baseball team is a shadow of its former self. With inept decisions and underachievement the norm now.