Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2018) CG - David Duke to Providence

By the good ole eye test. To me, I'd take Phinisee

I like RP a lot but Duke is the better player. Duke is quicker with the ball and can get to the rim easier. Shooting wise they're equal. RP is a better leader. Duke is better on defense. My opinion and a lot of others including guys that get paid to know whose better.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

I like RP a lot but Duke is the better player. Duke is quicker with the ball and can get to the rim easier. Shooting wise they're equal. RP is a better leader. Duke is better on defense. My opinion and a lot of others including guys that get paid to know whose better.

IU needs a PG in that class. That's where Phinisee comes in. While Duke is talented, he's not what IU needs for that class. I'm perfectly fine with Phinisee and Romeo rounding out the class

I take the leader at this point. We need that as much as anything at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I agree 95% of the time, but we need star power too. If Davis leaves after this year as well that will be our biggest weakness. Green and Morgan will be good leaders coming into the season next year. You can never have enough though and like I have posted in the RP thread I want the kid. I like Duke because he can play both guard spots and very good at that. I have high hopes for CuJo next year so the 2 spot isn't a HUGE need IMO, so if we could only get one RP is probably my pick. Still think Duke is better though just doesn't fill as big of a need as RP does.

I agree 95% of the time, but we need star power too. If Davis leaves after this year as well that will be our biggest weakness. Green and Morgan will be good leaders coming into the season next year. You can never have enough though and like I have posted in the RP thread I want the kid. I like Duke because he can play both guard spots and very good at that. I have high hopes for CuJo next year so the 2 spot isn't a HUGE need IMO, so if we could only get one RP is probably my pick. Still think Duke is better though just doesn't fill as big of a need as RP does.

Duke isn't a star that is going to fill shoes as a Freshman on a good team though. Plus I expect decent things from Davis, but are we sure he is a star yet? He averaged 6 points per game as a Freshman. I think everyone expects a bigger role from him, but leaving after this year after what he showed last year? That is quite the extreme jump.

Duke isn't a star that is going to fill shoes as a Freshman on a good team though. Plus I expect decent things from Davis, but are we sure he is a star yet? He averaged 6 points per game as a Freshman. I think everyone expects a bigger role from him, but leaving after this year after what he showed last year? That is quite the extreme jump.

Yeah, but NBA is based off potential. Davis is young and being in a feature role as well at IU and being a top 50 kid coming out of HS he will be on radars. His weight loss and being in better shape will definitely help. Also remember Davis, in the action he did see played very well and took over even if only for short stretches. Crean never let him get in a rhythm either. More minutes will help obviously too and a featured role like I was saying. I never said he was definitely gone, but it is possible. If that happens we lack a go to guy. At least this year we have RoJo and Newkirk even. Davis also has that potential. Next year our best option would be Morgan or CuJo if he left.

Also besides the top 25 most kids aren't going to be stars right away, but that doesn't mean they can't be a good role player that helps the team win. Besides Romeo we don't have a legit shot with anyone capable of that so does that mean we shouldn't offer anyone else? Duke has star POTENTIAL maybe not right away. Can't even begin to understand your agrument that since he isn't going to be a star from day one we shouldn't care about him pretty much. We got awhile before we know even what next years team could be so I will play the wait and see game.

Yeah, but NBA is based off potential. Davis is young and being in a feature role as well at IU and being a top 50 kid coming out of HS he will be on radars. His weight loss and being in better shape will definitely help. Also remember Davis, in the action he did see played very well and took over even if only for short stretches. Crean never let him get in a rhythm either. More minutes will help obviously too and a featured role like I was saying. I never said he was definitely gone, but it is possible. If that happens we lack a go to guy. At least this year we have RoJo and Newkirk even. Davis also has that potential. Next year our best option would be Morgan or CuJo if he left.

Probably a better convo for another thread. I will definitely digress on this one before we go down the rabbit hole.

Also besides the top 25 most kids aren't going to be stars right away, but that doesn't mean they can't be a good role player that helps the team win. Besides Romeo we don't have a legit shot with anyone capable of that so does that mean we shouldn't offer anyone else? Duke has star POTENTIAL maybe not right away. Can't even begin to understand your agrument that since he isn't going to be a star from day one we shouldn't care about him pretty much. We got awhile before we know even what next years team could be so I will play the wait and see game.

You were discussing some hypothetical situation that Davis leaves we need star power? I explained that wouldn't happen day one with Duke so I have no clue what you are confused about? There are a lot of ifs in these two posts you put.

You were discussing some hypothetical situation that Davis leaves we need star power? I explained that wouldn't happen day one with Duke so I have no clue what you are confused about? There are a lot of ifs in these two posts you put.

Gotcha. When it comes to college backetball there is always a lot of ifs. It is possible Davis isn't here next year, but he has to put the work in first. Archie not going after too many bigs gives me the indication that they believe he will be here next year. We should have an idea after the nonconference slate how real of a possibility it is.

1 hour ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

Gotcha. When it comes to college backetball there is always a lot of ifs. It is possible Davis isn't here next year, but he has to put the work in first. Archie not going after too many bigs gives me the indication that they believe he will be here next year. We should have an idea after the nonconference slate how real of a possibility it is.

Davis will be here. He's not even close to NBA ready and doesn't have the athleticism. We can put this to rest

Davis will be here. He's not even close to NBA ready and doesn't have the athleticism. We can put this to rest

Losing 20 pounds and gaining 8 inches on his vertical should make anyone a better player. It's funny that readiness is your reason. You know how many kids are drafted each year no where close to ready? It's based off potential. Like I said though if the staff felt that he was gone they would have went after a few more bigs in this class, but as an IU fan saying there is no shot for a kid who was a top 50 recruit to leave early seeing that we had 2 lotto picks that weren't on any draft boards coming here. Oladipo wasn't even on mocks before his junior year started. OG wasn't even on the G league's radar before he played a game and could have been drafted after his freshmen year. JS.

On 8/15/2017 at 8:56 PM, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

Either Duke is not communicating with the staff (unlikely) or maybe ... Duke putting IU in his top five means that he still sees himself as an option as our class of 2018 point guard.

From The Providence Journal

PROVIDENCE – No matter where David Duke turns these days, The Question always follows.

Whether he’s at his home in Elmhurst, hanging with friends at Providence Place or playing in a charity basketball game at the Met School, Duke can’t hide. His family, friends and everyone else he bumps into wants to know just where he’ll look to play college basketball.

Duke, the 6-3 guard and former Journal All-Stater at Classical High, is under the gun these days. Rated as one of the top 75 prospects in the Class of 2018, the 17-year old has fielded phone calls and flicked through text messages from many of the top college hoop coaches in the country. He recently settled on five finalists: Florida, Indiana, Providence, Villanova and Virginia Tech.

Which school will Duke pick, and when? Those are the questions that have dogged him all summer.

“I get it every day,” Duke said. “If I see someone I know they’re asking me `where you thinking?′ I expect it now.”

Former Classical star David Duke has narrowed his college picks to Providence, Indiana, Florida, Villanova and Virginia Tech. — The Providence Journal/Glenn Osmundson

While his closest friends give him space, others are more aggressive and openly advocating for the hometown Friars. Ed Cooley and his staff have made Duke a priority target for more than a year now.

“People mention PC first, like `what about PC, you should stay at home,″ said Duke, who’ll be a senior at Cushing Academy. “My close friends don’t ask so much.”

Cooley is hoping Duke joins a class that the coach calls “the most important since I’ve been at Providence.” With a track record of winning, a national reputation and a gleaming new practice facility rising from a parking lot behind Alumni Hall, the Friars are in good position with more highly rated players than ever before. Closing the deal with four-star talent, however, is never easy.

This is a position Cooley and his staff have strived for. PC is losing four senior starters in Kyron Cartwright, Rodney Bullock, Emmitt Holt and Jalen Lindsey and would be happy to sign four or five new players. The Friars are in good position with several Top 100 targets that Cooley hopes will sign letters-of-intent in November.

“We’re losing a lot of scoring so we’re after guys who can put the ball in the basket,” Cooley said. “I can’t mention any names (per NCAA rules) but our staff has done an unbelievable job. We have an under-valued and under-appreciated staff.”

The Friars’ Class of 2018 is off to a fast start. A.J. Reeves, a 6-5 scoring wing from Boston, committed in June. Kris Monroe, a 6-7 forward from Raleigh, N.C., came on in early August. Reeves is rated as high as 42nd in the country (via Rivals.com), while Monroe is seen as an under-the-radar talent with excellent shooting ability. He committed to PC without even taking a trip to see the campus.

“Providence was on me a year ago and stayed in contact every step of the way,” Monroe said. “This was more about my life going forward and not basketball. I built a bond with Coach Cooley, Coach (Jeff) Battle and the whole staff.”

Besides Duke, the recruits Cooley would love to add to Reeves and Monroe include Noah Locke (73rd via Rivals), Jimmy Nichols, Darius Days (68th), Khavon Moore (53rd) and a few others. The Friars face stiff competition with all of those teenagers. Locke, a deadeye shooter from suburban Washington, D.C., will visit PC, Ohio State, Xavier, Michigan and Florida. Nichols, a bouncy 6-8 forward who hails from Myrtle Beach, S.C., has narrowed his picks to Providence, Miami and South Carolina. PC is facing longer odds with Days and Moore. Days, a 6-7 Floridian, has PC in his final 11 and recently announced he’ll visit North Carolina, Louisville, LSU and Ohio State. Moore, of Macon, Ga., is down to a dozen schools with PC joining Florida, Alabama, UCLA, Georgia, Marquette, Southern California and others.

They key, however, is Duke. He is very close with AAU teammate Reeves, lives a mile from campus and due to all of the pending Friar departures can compete for a starting spot as a freshman. His decision could also spur Cooley’s important class to keep building on itself.

“Kids are listening to what we have to sell,” Cooley said. “Providence College is investing in facilities that are helping us and I really think my staff is underrated nationally. We can really evaluate as a staff. That shows in our roster for this season and in what we’re trying to do right now with recruiting.”

15 minutes ago, yogisballin said:

“Officially out of the David Duke sweepstakes” says who? Since when? What do u mean “officially “?

Well, there's always that proverbial snowball's chance in hell, but Va Tech and Providence are dominating the predictions with Providence his most likely landing spot.