Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

The Ola Depot

IUBB/IUFB Student Ticket Process

Hi guys,

So I'm gonna be a new students at IU next year and am wondering if some of you could share what the process is like getting those tickets. Just things like how it is determined what games you get for basketball (as I understand, you don't get them all), if seats for both basketball and football are just sit anywhere when you get there or are, when you actually order them, how you can request to be by people you know, etc. My dad went to IU in the 80s but as you can probably guess, the process is much different now and, as much as I hate to admit it, IU has been awful with communicating things like this for new students. Thank you for your answers!

I just graduated so all of this information is based on my experiences this past school year. If anything has changed for this upcoming year someone please correct me. 

If you're going to be a freshman you can sign up for them at freshmen orientation at the SRSC. After freshman year you can buy them when you sign up for fall classes.

Early during the fall semester (late August/early September I believe) you get an email about signing up for your ticket group which is where you and your buddies can put yourselves in a group. You get a certain number of basketball games depending on how many students sign up for tickets. The price you pay is for the full allotment and then IU refunds you the difference between the full package and the number of tickets you get. 

For basketball it's based on seniority so the students that accumulate more points get better seats. For each game you either get an assigned seat or GA (which is first come, first serve). Personally I prefer getting assigned seats now that they've expanded GA to include the balcony.

Football tickets are on your phone and you can sit wherever you want in the student section. I used the "wallet" app on my iPhone, I'm not sure what is used on other phones. Bring your student ID to both sports because technically they have to see it to let you in. Some of the people working are more lenient than others about it, but bring it just in case.

55 minutes ago, The Ola Depot said:

Hi guys,

So I'm gonna be a new students at IU next year and am wondering if some of you could share what the process is like getting those tickets. Just things like how it is determined what games you get for basketball (as I understand, you don't get them all), if seats for both basketball and football are just sit anywhere when you get there or are, when you actually order them, how you can request to be by people you know, etc. My dad went to IU in the 80s but as you can probably guess, the process is much different now and, as much as I hate to admit it, IU has been awful with communicating things like this for new students. Thank you for your answers!

Ticket Info:

http://iuhoosiers.com/sports/2015/6/23/tickets.aspx

For football, you can sit wherever you want in the student section. I think they just scan your phone as your ticket. For basketball, the number of games you get is determined by how many students sign up for tickets. The student section for each individual game is 7,800. They usually sell around 10-12,000 student season tickets each year, so you will likely miss a few games. For basketball, you will be all over the place. A lot of it is general admission now where you have to wait in line to get a better seat, but there are some parts of it where you get assigned seats.

Also, you can buy single game student tickets for football for $10, but you have to buy season tickets for basketball. There are no single game purchases. In addition, if you buy basketball season tickets, football season tickets are included. It is $380. If you only want football season tickets, it is $60.

IMG_7549.JPG

IMG_7550.JPG

I just graduated so all of this information is based on my experiences this past school year. If anything has changed for this upcoming year someone please correct me. 
If you're going to be a freshman you can sign up for them at freshmen orientation at the SRSC. After freshman year you can buy them when you sign up for fall classes.
Early during the fall semester (late August/early September I believe) you get an email about signing up for your ticket group which is where you and your buddies can put yourselves in a group. You get a certain number of basketball games depending on how many students sign up for tickets. The price you pay is for the full allotment and then IU refunds you the difference between the full package and the number of tickets you get. 
For basketball it's based on seniority so the students that accumulate more points get better seats. For each game you either get an assigned seat or GA (which is first come, first serve). Personally I prefer getting assigned seats now that they've expanded GA to include the balcony.
Football tickets are on your phone and you can sit wherever you want in the student section. I used the "wallet" app on my iPhone, I'm not sure what is used on other phones. Bring your student ID to both sports because technically they have to see it to let you in. Some of the people working are more lenient than others about it, but bring it just in case.

Ticket Info:
http://iuhoosiers.com/sports/2015/6/23/tickets.aspx
For football, you can sit wherever you want in the student section. I think they just scan your phone as your ticket. For basketball, the number of games you get is determined by how many students sign up for tickets. The student section for each individual game is 7,800. They usually sell around 10-12,000 student season tickets each year, so you will likely miss a few games. For basketball, you will be all over the place. A lot of it is general admission now where you have to wait in line to get a better seat, but there are some parts of it where you get assigned seats.
Also, you can buy single game student tickets for football for $10, but you have to buy season tickets for basketball. There are no single game purchases. In addition, if you buy basketball season tickets, football season tickets are included. It is $380. If you only want football season tickets, it is $60.
IMG_7549.thumb.JPG.309f5bad1ad8bf1d5b816832d69dc244.JPG
IMG_7550.thumb.JPG.f7548045192cd1dbad1783d1be2b623f.JPG

Thank you guys, most of what you said I had either heard or assumed but I was just wanting to make sure. I've had season tickets with my dad for around 10 years now for basketball and football so for basketball games I don't get I'll still be set to go to games hopefully. Like I said, I assumed football was open seating but I was just wondering because I remember they have the freshman class run on the field before the first home game and I know I want a good seat for that so may have to pass in order to get that.

19 minutes ago, The Ola Depot said:

Thank you guys, most of what you said I had either heard or assumed but I was just wanting to make sure. I've had season tickets with my dad for around 10 years now for basketball and football so for basketball games I don't get I'll still be set to go to games hopefully. Like I said, I assumed football was open seating but I was just wondering because I remember they have the freshman class run on the field before the first home game and I know I want a good seat for that so may have to pass in order to get that.

Good thinking on the first football game. That will be packed. Your goal is to get your fellow student body there early like for a big basketball game. We have the national spotlight that night and we don't need the students strolling in halfway through the first quarter.

Good luck: we're all counting on you.

;)

Back in my day, when we were #1 in the nation (2012) it was quite easy.

I remember calling back in April of 2012 before our #1 season would begin. I called the ticket office and simply asked how I could order student tickets. All I needed at the time was my student ID number and they would simply bill my Bursar account. It was very very simple. We then had our tickets by mid September or so.

I just graduated so I have a few tips.

1.) Do not do a large group for tickets. (8 was the max last year). When you have that many people, they tend to give you mostly GA tickets, and GA is a horrible experience now that it includes the balcony. I had friends in other ticket groups that would get much better seats (multiple behind the basket games a season) because they only had a group of 4 or less. With large groups, everybody's points are averaged together, so if you have members that don't have good attendance at other events, you get screwed pretty easily. 

2.) Download the Crimson Guard rewards app. I remain dubious about how much they take into account these points, but it's still probably worth it. Go to every home soccer game (and other sports if you're so inclined, but soccer is the most fun in my opinion) in the fall to help elevate your standing for basketball points.

3.) Find a friend that is a RA or in the Athletic Training program. They get really good seats. 

Good to know. They gave the students their tickets yesterday and I somehow got Duke and didn’t get GA. Seats are row 35 so I’m 11 rows away from the wall so sounds like not too bad of seats.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

35 is a good row. You don’t start losing the scoreboard (the old one anyway, I haven’t been under the balcony for the new one) until probably row 42.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

b75eef5786a763f0ba144ca859829c6f.jpg&key=6df5a6527ebfaf3cfe2a9aeec3af7f6fb8932e6e5daa1e09760b73b22090102eHowever, when it says where my seats are it says this. I know Section M includes the student section so I assume that’s where it is but does anyone know why it says M:G? Section G is on the complete other side.

The top 15ish rows of section G is student section too. I think the M stands for main level and you’ll be in section G.

10 hours ago, The Ola Depot said:

One more thing since I also have a few GA games, what seats are designated for GA?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'm pretty sure it's just L and M. K could be there as well with GA, i forget though.