Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

IU Baseball Offseason Updates

Indiana junior pitcher Scott Effross has been selected to the 2014 Friendly’s Cape League All-Star Game on Sunday, July 27 in Doran Park in Bourne, Mass. The CCBL All-Star game will be televised by Fox College Sports and broadcast on WCAI National Public Radio at 6 p.m. ET.

Effross, who is playing summer ball with the Cape Cod League’s Wareham Gatemen, was named a reserve for the West All-Stars and is one of just two Big Ten representatives chosen to play in the game.

The Twinsburg, Ohio, native has recorded a team-high three saves for the Gatemen, striking out 22 batters and boasting a 3.20 ERA.

Effross, a Freshman All-American in 2013, is one of 16 Hoosiers playing summer ball. 

Practice opened up the other day and some scrimmage/exhibition games are set. Link

Friday, September 12    Scrimmage    3 p.m. ET
Saturday, September 13    Scrimmage    11 a.m. ET
Friday, September 19    Scrimmage    4:30 p.m. ET
Saturday, September 20    Scrimmage    12:30 p.m. ET
Friday, September 26    Scrimmage    4:30 p.m. ET
Saturday, September 27    Scrimmage    10 a.m. ET
Wednesday, October 1    Scrimmage    4 p.m. ET
Friday, October 3    Scrimmage    4:30 p.m. ET
Saturday, October 4    Scrimmage    10 a.m. ET
Wednesday, October 8    Scrimmage    4:30 p.m. ET
Thursday, October 9    Exhibition Game vs. Xavier    6 p.m. ET
Thursday, October 16    Cream vs. Crimson Game 1    4:30 p.m. ET
Friday, October 17    Cream vs. Crimson Game 2    4:30 p.m. ET
Saturday, October 18    IU Alumni Doubleheader    11 a.m. / Noon ET
Sunday, October 19    Cream vs. Crimson Game 3    1:30 p.m. ET

A little update here on Kyle.

http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/2014/09/kyle-hart-working-way-back-from-tommy-john-surgery-iubase/

Kyle Hart spent the summer on the sidelines and he’s prepared to do the same over the fall.
It’s a long road back from Tommy John surgery, but Hart is nearing the midway point of the process. After undergoing the procedure in the spring to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament, Hart is still two months shy of throwing a bullpen session.

But the process is moving along as he hoped, with Hart still expecting to be ready to participate in time for the 2015 spring season.

“From what I’ve been told, by the time the season rolls around, I should be pretty much available,” Hart said. “Usually these things can take anywhere from 10-12 months, so I still have a long way to go, but the slow part is over. The summer rehab and no throwing — that part is over. I’m into the throwing stage of it and being in class, being in practice, being over (at Bart Kaufman Field) every day is kind of making it go a little faster.”

Before going down with the left elbow injury, Hart appeared in nine games, including six starts, compiling a 3-1 record and a 2.29 ERA. He held opponents to a .160 average, while yielding 19 hits over 35 1/3 innings.

^ tore his acl in early march.  I'm not sure what the typical recovery time for that injury is, and haven't heard anything on him lately.

with kyle hart likely out of the rotation picture this year, I wonder if we'll convert either or both of effross or harrison to starters.  even with denato's departure, pitching will again be a strength and have depth.

anybody been to a scrimmage?  also very curious on who has a leg up in the catcher, first base and shortstop battles.

^ tore his acl in early march. I'm not sure what the typical recovery time for that injury is, and haven't heard anything on him lately.

with kyle hart likely out of the rotation picture this year, I wonder if we'll convert either or both of effross or harrison to starters. even with denato's departure, pitching will again be a strength and have depth.

anybody been to a scrimmage? also very curious on who has a leg up in the catcher, first base and shortstop battles.

hart not in rotation I thought he was back from tommy john surgery did I miss something

three really tough series early in the season away at stanford, away at college of charleston, home with cal state fullerton.  we'll see how good this team is right off the bat.  taking two in the opening stanford series would be a great feat.  our commentator murray thinks they'll be the pac12 favorites even after losing their 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th hitters in the lineups that eliminated us.  the leadoff shortstop doucher that hit the walkoff returns.

looking at the roster in the iu-xavier game notes, rhp luke stephenson has transferred here from vanderbilt.  I don't know if he'll be able play right away.  didn't immediately impress at vandy like scouts thought he would but he has big potential.  he was rated the #1 2012 prospect in indiana by pbr.  hopefully bunn can help him realize his potential and he turns into a scott donley-like addition.

also ccg, we received a commitment from cali 2015 c/1b ryan fineman, former notre dame verbal.  a july collegebaseballcentral.com article said he's ranked #235.  to put that in perspective, ockimey was ranked 203 and sowers 387.  he played for the usa u17 national team.  I'd drop his rank a couple hundred spots since he stated in his commitment tweet, "university of indiana".  people gotta stop doing that.

Cangelosi doin' some work tonight.

@HoosierBaseball: And there's a run for #IUBase. Cangelosi flies out to left field and Donley scores IU's first run. XU 5, #iubase 1

@HoosierBaseball: HOME RUN!!!!! Austin Cangelosi to left field! Xavier leads 6-2 in the bottom of the ninth.