Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Demo said:

If he's good enough to seriously consider being one and done, minutes won't be a problem.

While that may be true, one and done type recruits carefully analyze minutes situations to put themselves in the best possible position. Look at Trevon Duval's commitment to Duke; it didn't happen until Frank Jackson committed to staying in the draft.

Regardless, I do not think Moretti is a one and done recruit. 

1 minute ago, goonaha said:

While that may be true, one and done type recruits carefully analyze minutes situations to put themselves in the best possible position. Look at Trevon Duval's commitment to Duke; it didn't happen until Frank Jackson committed to staying in the draft.

Regardless, I do not think Moretti is a one and done recruit. 

And if he's good enough to even have a chance he's going to start over everybody we have. So minutes wouldn't be an issue

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

And if he's good enough to even have a chance he's going to start over everybody we have. So minutes wouldn't be an issue

That misses the point I was trying to make. 5 star, one and done type, recruits try to minimize the number of returning players in their position they have to compete against. It's why so many kids in interviews say they want to go somewhere where they can "play right away". 

But again, just judging from highlights and the schools he is visiting, he looks like a multi year player. 

6 minutes ago, goonaha said:

That misses the point I was trying to make. 5 star, one and done type, recruits try to minimize the number of returning players in their position they have to compete against. It's why so many kids in interviews say they want to go somewhere where they can "play right away". 

But again, just judging from highlights and the schools he is visiting, he looks like a multi year player. 

Your point isn't how things works. 1 and dones go where they will start. And if there's no other 1 and don't talents on the roster then minutes will never be a problem. 

7 minutes ago, Demo said:

Can't judge him as a player at this point, but if he ends up in Bloomington, I will say this with great confidence:

young+good looking+Italian accent+basketball player=It would be REALLY good to be him.-

Lol that crossed my mind as well. 

If he's planning on playing pg in college we don't really have anyone at his position coming back. Newkirk and Rojo are both 2's, and we didn't see enough from Green last year to know if he's ready to run the show. I personally think he is, but Archie is with these guys everyday and knows what level they're at. If he thinks we need a point guard then I trust what he's doing. We saw what happened last year when we tried pg by committee and didn't have anyone ready to fill the role. 

If Moretti thinks he's a one and done caliber player I doubt he's going to be worried about competing with the guys we have coming back for minutes. We don't have anyone at that level. 

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Your point isn't how things works. 1 and dones go where they will start. And if there's no other 1 and don't talents on the roster then minutes will never be a problem. 

I think we said essentially the same thing so I'll try to avoid starting a circular argument.

Anyways, the kid is 19 years old. If he were good enough to be a one and done he would be good enough to play in a top tier European league and enter the draft this year. He's not, and thus seems most similar to a 4 star, top 100 type American recruit. 

Did some serious digging on this kid and it is very possible this kid if he was a US prospect would be a 5 star recruit. One and done is very possible, but I think he stays two years. Even if he is a one and done that means he plays awesome this year and then leaves which opens the pg spot up for whoever we get in '18. It is a get situation regardless.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

Skal Labissiere only played 15mpg in his only season with Kentucky. And only started 18 of 36 games.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

25 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

Did some serious digging on this kid and it is very possible this kid if he was a US prospect would be a 5 star recruit. One and done is very possible, but I think he stays two years. Even if he is a one and done that means he plays awesome this year and then leaves which opens the pg spot up for whoever we get in '18. It is a get situation regardless.

What did you find in your digging

Skal Labissiere only played 15mpg in his only season with Kentucky.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Harry Giles didn't even average that many minutes and OG was a potential 1st rounder after freshmen year.

5 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

That he is highly regarded overseas and that some colleges didn't even want to reach out because they thought he would enter the '18 or '19 draft while staying over there.

Would you mind posting links? All I am finding are some pretty bare bones draft profiles that do not have him that highly ranked amongst his peers. For example, Frank Ntilikina is his age and will be a lottery pick this draft. 

11 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Also, it tells me that Newkirk, CuJo, Rojo, Devonte, Durham aren't collectively showing coach what he wants to see.  

Unless we running 3 guards sets and Durham isn't ready yet.  This guy would make a 5th guard ready to play.  

I think we will be running some three guard sets.  I really like De'ron Davis, but the dude fouls a ton.  I can't see him averaging more than 25 minutes/game at a max.  I could see 75 minutes/game split between Morgan, Hartmann, Smith, Moore, and McSwain.....that would leave 100 minutes/game for guards.

8 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

He's visiting UConn, which has a clear cut point guard in Jalen Adams (he averaged 6 assists per game and he'll only be a junior next year).  Utah's point guard spot is wide open....their starter graduated and the player who would have stepped into the spot was suspended at the end of the year and transferred to NC State.   Keenan Evans is the point guard at Texas Tech, although he's a shoot first guy.....but he'll be back as a senior next year.  If Moretti is simply looking for playing time next season, Utah is a no brainer.  I would think with the mix of schools he choose to visit, it's not all about playing time next year.