Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#IUBASE - 2017 NCAA Tournament

12 minutes ago, Aaron said:

It took a lot of arm twisting by Tracy Smith to get to where we are today and to get that stadium built but it happened just in time. Imagine playing the 13 and 14 season in Sembower. That's how perfect timing was.  

Ask PU how badly that went playing their 2012 season in their awful old ballpark. A great team and hardly any fans showed up in their old park or were aware of the season. Than they had to host regionals in Gary. They finally completed their new park a yr late but have been beyond awful since it was completed and as a result do not draw anywhere near the crowds we do (as I said when I went this year to IU vs. PU their fans were shocked at a full park which is something we get most Friday and Saturday games provided weather is nice). If PU could of showcased that great 2012 team in their new park like they planned I have a feeling it would of lead to continued success and huge crowds similar to what we draw. 

Just shows how critical it is to make sure you have construction done on time when you are on the verge of great seasons. Any delays will set your program back years (and yes I know we had a couple delays starting project but once ours finally broke ground everything went clockwork and on time vs. PU who sort of ran into an I-69 situation mid-construction and project was delayed over a year).

I do remember that. Purdue hosted a 2012 regional in Gary because their field was so bad. IU deserves this type of baseball field. It's a beautiful campus with a beautiful atmosphere. Those games are so fun to go to as well

4 hours ago, Hoosier Guy said:

I do remember that. Purdue hosted a 2012 regional in Gary because their field was so bad. IU deserves this type of baseball field. It's a beautiful campus with a beautiful atmosphere. Those games are so fun to go to as well

And I don't mean to rag on Purdue's park because it is very nice (I think ours is slightly better but theirs is very nice also) but it is in a spot that is a bit away from campus (similar to how University Gym is located for Volleyball at IU) and has only one entrance for in and out so if you don't get out fast you will be stuck in traffic for a bit on the rare occasion of a sellout like when we played them. 

Another thing is PU has natural grass which is debatable as well. I personally in an ideal world prefer grass (more natural for baseball and lower injury risk) but when playing in spring with a lot of rain and snow it saves you a lot of cancellations from weather. I know we had very few rain outs this year because of the turf and played through several pretty good rain storms while PU with their grass had more rain outs. I had to point this out to several PU fans behind me who were saying how great grass was and how silly we were to have turf. After I explained to them the benefits and disadvantages of both surfaces we agreed it was a matter of personal preference.

Even though we didn't make the CWS in 2014, it still amazes me to look back and see how incredible of a season that was. We went 25-3 in B1G games and all three losses were by one run. An extra hit here, and error there, a better pitch late in a game -- and we could've completely run the table (28-0). Boy, what a group that was! 

2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Even though we didn't make the CWS in 2014, it still amazes me to look back and see how incredible of a season that was. We went 25-3 in B1G games and all three losses were by one run. An extra hit here, and error there, a better pitch late in a game -- and we could've completely run the table (28-0). Boy, what a group that was! 

Lets not get started there. That walk off HR by Stanford was one of the worst moments I have seen in IU history in any sports. That literally ended IU's last great team they have fielded in any sport and legitimate shot to win a national title at something. It's one of the few times I almost cried (but didn't) watching a sporting event. The only time I have had a sicker feeling after a loss watching a sporting event is the Steve Bartman game and when Mike Vanderjagt missed that FG very wide against Pitt in playoffs (and i'm over those since both teams have won a title since). 

The NCAA not always letting teams bat last on their own field is so in line with their hypocritical status on everything no one should be surprised (I would prefer not switching at all but at least let the home team have last at bat in decisive games).

The problem is in every sport the NCAA considers the hosting team to be hosting a neutral site tourney game. In every other sport (soccer, swimming, basketball, volleyball etc) it doesn't matter what the NCAA says because only the fans matter and their is no rule built it into the sport that really affects anything. Baseball and Softball are different and the NCAA's hypocritical neutral site stance absolutely matters here and its something that in my mind has not been made a big enough deal off by teams, media etc. 

Off course since I'm complaining watch us walk off on UK to win the regional on their field. While that would be cool it doesn't change that the rule as it is, is terrible. 

8 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Lets not get started there. That walk off HR by Stanford was one of the worst moments I have seen in IU history in any sports. That literally ended IU's last great team they have fielded in any sport and legitimate shot to win a national title at something. It's one of the few times I almost cried (but didn't) watching a sporting event. The only time I have had a sicker feeling after a loss watching a sporting event is the Steve Bartman game and when Mike Vanderjagt missed that FG very wide against Pitt in playoffs (and i'm over those since both teams have won a title since). 

I get it. I nearly broke my big toe twice that night: Once after the Stanford HR and once after the Kings beat the Blackhawks in OT in Game 7 of the Western Conference finals. I was certain the Hoosiers would make it to the CWS -- and possibly win -- and that the Hawks would repeat as Stanley Cup champs. Oh well, such is life. 

2B   Tony Butler        
DH  Matt Lloyd    
3B   Luke Miller        
CF  Craig Dedelow    
RF  Logan Sowers        
LF  Alex Krupa        
1B  Matt Gorski        
C    Ryan Fineman    
SS Jeremy Houston    
P    Pauly Milto