Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#IUBASE - 2017 NCAA Tournament

Regional sites out tonight @ 8:30 ET and selection Monday @ Noon ET on ESPN2. RPI/SOS - Overall: 26/28, Non-conference: 25/11. 8-7-1 vs Top 50. Regionals 6/2-6/5, Super Regionals 6/9-6/11 and CWS 6/15-6/26.

• NCAA Tournament appearances - 1949, 1996, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017
• College World Series appearances - 2013

Lexington Regional

#1 Kentucky vs #4 Ohio - 6/2 @ Noon ET on ESPNU

#2 Indiana vs #3 NC State - 6/2 @ 7 pm ET on WatchESPN

16 hours ago, ccgeneral said:

Regional sites out tonight @ 8:30 ET and selection Monday @ Noon ET on ESPN2. RPI/SOS - Overall: 26/28, Non-conference: 25/11. 8-7-1 vs Top 50. Regionals 6/2-6/5, Super Regionals 6/9-6/11 and CWS 6/15-6/26.

• NCAA Tournament appearances - 1949, 1996, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017?
• College World Series appearances - 2013

99% likely you will be removing the question mark from 2107 in just over 15 hours. Your almost certain they're in as well or you would not have started this thread. 

Host sites in alphabetical order are:

• Baton Rouge, Louisiana – LSU (43-17) 
  • Chapel Hill, North Carolina – North Carolina (47-12)
  • Clemson, South Carolina – Clemson (39-19)
  • Corvallis, Oregon – Oregon State (49-4)
  • Fayetteville, Arkansas – Arkansas (42-17)
  • Fort Worth, Texas – TCU (42-16)
  • Gainesville, Florida – Florida (42-16)
  • Hattiesburg, Mississippi – Southern Mississippi (48-14)
  • Houston, Texas – Houston (40-19)
  • Lexington, Kentucky – Kentucky (39-20)
  • Long Beach, California – Long Beach State (37-17-1)
  • Louisville, Kentucky – Louisville (47-10)
  • Lubbock, Texas – Texas Tech (43-15)
  • Stanford, California – Stanford (40-14)
  • Tallahassee, Florida – Florida State (39-20)
  • Winston-Salem, North Carolina – Wake Forest (39-18)

It's the top 15 in RPI with no. 17 Houston getting last host spot over no. 16 Virginia.

NCAA if they don't give us Louisville or Lexington will ship us out to Stanford because they love rematches.

We are still comfortably a 3 in Lexington in last Baseball America projection (we are not mentioned among the 6 teams listed on the bubble) tonight with Maryland 1st team out now. That Grand Slam in the rain by Dedelow to win the series may turn out to be the moment of the year if it comes down to them only taking 4 Big Ten teams. As I suspected though if someone from Big Ten is out it will be Maryland given our 8 spot better RPI and head to head series win. 

Only thing I don't like about the projection is it gives us UVA as the 2 which would be toughest match up possible given they are top 2 seed and should of probably hosted as a 1 over Houston but given we are in I won't complain.

2 lesser known projections I have never heard off have us out over Maryland and Gonzaga (2 teams we beat). Two most popular and well known projections that pay most attention (D1 Baseball and Baseball America) have us comfortably in and no where near bubble as 3 in Lexington. Got to think the other 2 projections are blowing smoke but we will see in an hour.

Nebraska bumps up to a 2 which might speak well for Big Ten. Unfortunately, for them that sends them to Oregon St who is by far best team in country. No other Big Ten Teams in 1st half of bracket but also all the west and far south regionals covered so far on that side. Closer host sites on other side. 

Another example of how far the program has come is that when I left the house after the selection show Raekstraw (who was filling in for Dakich) was talking our selection with Chris Lemonis. Thats major major progress. Indy media had no idea we even had a baseball team really prior to 2013.

Here is the link to the interview: https://omny.fm/shows/the-dan-dakich-show/052917-dan-dakich-show 

Looking at NC St I feel like their stats are a clone of us. Their pitching is not much better than ours with a 4.01 team era and all starters mid to high 3's in their ERA except a guy with a 1.87 who looks like a spot starter. Bullpen has a couple guys with ERA's in the 2's but not much else. Offense looks solid but not spectacular but like us hit a ton of HR's with one guy having 16 just behind Dedelow. Overall like I said I feel like I am looking at our stats when reading theirs which should make for a fascinating match up. 

Uk's pitching just average as well with elite offense so should have a chance to score runs if patient. I still peg UK the heavy favorite but if their was ever a regional we had a chance to get out of this is it given no one having elite ERA's or deep pitching staffs.

15 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Another example of how far the program has come is that when I left the house after the selection show Raekstraw (who was filling in for Dakich) was talking our selection with Chris Lemonis. Thats major major progress. Indy media had no idea we even had a baseball team really prior to 2013.

Looking at NC St I feel like their stats are a clone of us. Their pitching is not much better than ours with a 4.01 team era and all starters mid to high 3's in their ERA except a guy with a 1.87 who looks like a spot starter. Bullpen has a couple guys with ERA's in the 2's but not much else. Offense looks solid but not spectacular but like us hit a ton of HR's with one guy having 16 just behind Dedelow. Overall like I said I feel like I am looking at our stats when reading theirs which should make for a fascinating match up. 

Uk's pitching just average as well with elite offense so fortunately should have a chance to score runs if patient. I still peg UK the heavy favorite but if their was ever a regional we had a chance to get out of this is it given no one having elite ERA's or deep pitching staffs.

This will be IU's 4th NCAA tournament appearance in 5 seasons. They had three combined appearances before this run. I think a lot of it has to do with Bart Kaufman Field. It's not a coincidence that this run didn't happen until IU got just decent baseball facilities. Sembower Field was one of the worst baseball fields I've ever seen. No good, let alone elite recruit would've wanted to play on that crap field

3 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

This will be IU's 4th NCAA tournament appearance in 5 seasons. They had three combined appearances before this run. I think a lot of it has to do with Bart Kaufman Field. It's not a coincidence that this run didn't happen until IU got just decent baseball facilities. Sembower Field was one of the worst baseball fields I've ever seen. No good, let alone elite recruit would've wanted to play on that crap field

100% agree. We went from one of the worst facilities to one of the best.

3 minutes ago, Aaron said:

100% agree. We went from one of the worst facilities to one of the best.

Yep. Bart Kaufman Field is not only a great field but has a great atmosphere about it as well. It's great to see IU baseball have this type of success year in and year out

50 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

And former Indiana baseball player Charles Sembower is spinning in his grave.  :farting_smiley:

36 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Hopefully. If he's the one behind that crap field, he cost IU so many years of good baseball

Well administration agreed to built it in late 90's than decided against (which I have no problem with given how bad a coach Bob Morgan was and the fact that no one cared at that point). Than again in 08 as part of North End zone project it was agreed to be build and ran out of money and was going to shelve it all together. However, as the program began to rise Tracy Smith persisted and they found more money for a scaled back version of a new park. Than as the program rose even further to new heights they ended up building the same facility they planned to in 09 as they went back to more donors who were willing to fund the park on its own now and it finally opened in 2013 15 yrs after the original plans. Better late than never.    

6 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Well administration agreed to built it in late 90's than decided against (which I have no problem with given how bad a coach Bob Morgan was and the fact that no one cared at that point). Than again in 08 as part of North End zone project it was agreed to be build and ran out of money and was going to shelve it all together. However, as the program began to rise Tracy Smith persisted and they found more money for a scaled back version of a new park. Than as the program rose even further to new heights they ended up building the same facility they planned to in 09 as they went back to more donors who were willing to fund the park on its own now and it finally opened in 2012 15 yrs after the original plans. Better late than never.    

Interesting. I do love how IU now cares about other sports besides just basketball. Football and baseball mean something as well and those facilities are now great. I don't want IU to be like Kansas. Kansas literally doesn't give two sh!ts about anything but basketball. Good god their football program is beyond awful

19 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Interesting. I do love how IU now cares about other sports besides just basketball. Football and baseball mean something as well and those facilities are now great. I don't want IU to be like Kansas. Kansas literally doesn't give two sh!ts about anything but basketball. Good god their football program is beyond awful

It took a lot of arm twisting by Tracy Smith to get to where we are today and to get that stadium built but it happened just in time. Imagine playing the 13 and 14 season in Sembower. That's how perfect timing was.  

Ask PU how badly that went playing their 2012 season in their awful old ballpark. A great team and hardly any fans showed up in their old park or were aware of the season. Than they had to host regionals in Gary. They finally completed their new park a yr late but have been beyond awful since it was completed and as a result do not draw anywhere near the crowds we do (as I said when I went this year to IU vs. PU their fans were shocked at a full park which is something we get most Friday and Saturday games provided weather is nice). If PU could of showcased that great 2012 team in their new park like they planned I have a feeling it would of lead to continued success and huge crowds similar to what we draw. 

Just shows how critical it is to make sure you have construction done on time when you are on the verge of great seasons. Any delays will set your program back years (and yes I know we had a couple delays starting project but once ours finally broke ground everything went clockwork and on time vs. PU who sort of ran into an I-69 situation mid-construction and project was delayed over a year).