Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2018) SF Nahziah Carter to Washington

I know we offered for '18 but this makes it sound like we want him this season unless Zagoria's info isn't completely up to date.

As reported here, Georgetown and Indiana are among the schools pressing him to come in 2017.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/06/01/jay-zs-nephew-nahziah-carter-planning-college-visits/

My thinking is that we offered him for '18 because we didn't have a spot for '17 and he had mentioned going the prep school route.

Last week an unknown spot for '17 opened and he's a possible option for it.

My thinking is that we offered him for '18 because we didn't have a spot for '17 and he had mentioned going the prep school route.
Last week an unknown spot for '17 opened and he's a possible option for it.

Wonder if he or the foreign PG is option 1 for 17

13 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Wonder if he or the foreign PG is option 1 for 17

Couple days ago I was thinking carter might be the # 1, but then I think Moretti might have been a sudden option that we hadn't previously considered. It's like the day we heard of him, he was already in Bloomington for a 3 day visit. Which ended yesterday. I'm sure the staff now has a better idea who is 1 and who is 2. I think that's also why CAM didn't seem to have a firm idea EDIT: when talking at Huber END EDIT, about filling remaining scholarship. 

5 days ago it might have been thought more solid

36 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Yeah, I think Moretti is the first option and Carter the second.  Carter saying that he had a 2018 offer but they would discuss 2017 later probably says that if Moretti were to want the scholly, it's his.

Does anyone know if we offered Moretti while he was here visiting?

A nice read about Nahziah, his family, and his current take on his recruiting situation:

Meet Nahziah Carter, Jay Z's Nephew and Rising 4-Star Hoops Recruit

H Nix/New Recruit Media LLC

For much of his high school hoops career, Nahziah Carter has followed the blueprint. He has attended a prestigious high school (Bishop Kearney in Rochester, New York), has played for a top AAU team (The City Rocks of the EYBL) and had committed to play Division I college basketball at Dayton. But when coach Archie Miller left the Flyers for Indiana, Carter reopened his commitment and has since elevated his play to attract interest from schools like IU and Georgetown.

Although he's still waiting on the holy grail of high-major offers, he has been gaining increased attention on the summer basketball circuit. Last weekend, the 6'6" Carter dunked on Manute Bol's 7'1" son, 5-star recruit Bol Bol. 

He followed that up by posterizing 2018 No. 1 recruit Marvin Bagley. But the moment that brought him the most attention came after the game, when he posed with a relative few people knew he had: Jay Z. Carter's father, Eli, is Jay Z's older brother. This week, the younger Carter talked with Bleacher Report about being Jay Z's nephew and his unfinished business on the basketball court.      

Bleacher Report: I've read that you have an A average. The semester is almost over—is that still the case?

Nahziah Carter: Yeah, I'm still up there. I don't know my GPA right now, but I have like a 91 or a 92 average in most of my classes.

B/R: After committing to Dayton last year, you reopened your commitment when Archie Miller left to take over at Indiana. Where is your recruitment now? Are you considering reclassifying from 2017 to 2018?

NC: I'm thinking about reclassifying still. I want to graduate because I feel like I have some good scholarships in this class, but I also feel like I could get stronger with strength and conditioning for another year in prep school. I haven't made up my mind yet.

B/R: You recently took visits to Georgetown and Boston College. What impressions did you come away with from each?

NC: Both schools were really nice. They had nice campuses. I really liked Georgetown. It's small but not too small. It's in a good area. They play against some good schools, and the facilities are nice. Plus, [Georgetown coach] Patrick Ewing is a Hall of Famer. And beyond just being a Hall of Famer, he's a really nice guy. He's funny and humorous, and I liked being around him.

B/R: With Archie Miller at Indiana and the Hoosiers having an open scholarship, are you on their radar as well?

NC: Yeah, [Miller] and I talk here and there. Once they had a scholarship open, they reached out to me with a little more interest, I think.

B/R: What other schools are at the top of your list right now?

NC: I really like Georgetown. I like Washington too because I know Coach [Mike] Hopkins when he was [an assistant] at Syracuse. Indiana, of course, because of Coach Miller. And South Carolina has expressed some interest too. I'm just focused on making sure I make the right decision, even if that means not going to college this year.

B/R: It's in the news now that your dad is Jay Z's brother. Do you feel like more people are recognizing you as Jay Z's nephew these days? Is there pressure from that?

NC: I've never really felt that much pressure about it, but people never really used to know. Now I guess it's kind of getting out there. I know that more people are going to be watching me and evaluating me and that there are going to be a lot more opinions, but I'm not worried about it.

B/R: How many times has he seen you play basketball?

NC: He came out to L.A. a couple days ago, and that was actually the first time he'd seen me play. I'm over here on the East Coast and he lives more out there on the West Coast, so he didn't really have a chance until now. But I told him he should come out because I was playing in his area, and he showed up. I was happy to have him there.

NC: I was going to play my game regardless of whether he came. It's not like I was nervous that he showed up or anything. I wanted him there. And my teammates—they ask about him less now maybe. They used to ask if he was my real uncle and how he was my uncle and all that stuff. When he shows up to the game, that kind of answers those questions.

B/R: They don't make any jokes about it? Nothing about wanting to meet Beyonce?

NC: They've been pretty cool about it, to be honest. They never ask for autographs or to meet anybody or anything like that.

B/R: In songs and interviews, Jay Z has claimed that he shot your dad when he was 12. Have you heard that story in your family?

NC: My father tells me some great stories from when they were growing up, and so does my grandma, but they don't really talk about that one too much. My dad did something and they fought, but we don't talk about it. My brothers and my sisters all know. Honestly, we usually laugh about it. I don't know why, but we find it kind of funny. I mean, Jay Z shot our dad. That's pretty crazy.

B/R: Do you have a favorite Jay Z album? Who are your favorite rappers right now?

NC: I really like Reasonable Doubt, his first one. Favorite rappers right now? I like Drake. J. Cole. Travis Scott.      

B/R: Do you make any music?

NC: Ironically, I do love to rap. I've never recorded a song or anything like that. I'm not looking to make a career out of rapping, but my teammates and I like to rap. We just freestyle, rap about whatever comes to mind. We're known for rapping all over the place—before and after games, on the bus, at practice, in the subway, anywhere.

B/R: Do you feel like now that people know you as Jay Z's nephew that it'll be harder to step out of that shadow?

NC: I guess you could say making a name for myself—distancing myself from his success and having success of my own—that will be the hardest part going forward. But I think I'll be fine. I have confidence in my game. I'll dial it up just like Uncle Jay did.

I would categorize wanting to visit as "promising".

http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/06/01/jay-zs-nephew-nahziah-carter-planning-college-visits/

As he debates whether to enroll in college in 2017 or ’18, Nahziah Carter continues to take college visits.
“He’s done Boston College and Georgetown,” Albany City Rocks coach Jim Hart said Thursday on The 4 Quarters Podcast. “He’s scheduled to try to go to Washington and Indiana and South Carolina. Washington is this weekend. Indiana is trying to get something, as is South Carolina.
“That would be it. Then he would have no more visits left until he starts the school year.”

Carter, an athletic 6-foot-6, 190-pound wing who previously committed to Dayton, is also known for being Jay-Z’s nephew.
As reported here, Georgetown and Indiana are among the schools pressing him to come in 2017.
“That’s the million-dollar question, everybody asks that,” Hart said when asked the probability Carter will go in 2017. “I guess you don’t know with these kids. I think most of them, if given the choice in a comfortable college setting, would prefer that. And there’s a good argument to make that whether you’re red-shirting or practicing with a college team at those facilities, you’re going to develop better than you would at a high school or prep so I think the lean [to 2017] is there. He’s also a very good student, almost all A’s and a few B’s. Very high academics, qualified early, good SAT scores. So academically he’s ready for college, too.
“The only problem, and we said this to him, is it took him six months to get to know [Archie] Miller and the Dayton staff so it’s kind of putting pressure on the kid to make a decision real soon. And some of the schools, Georgetown, Boston College, Washington are really turning up the heat on him. But he wants to be able to take the time to get to know the staff over a 60-day period and I think he deserves it.”

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app