Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#IUBASE - 2017 B1G Tournament

We have an issue in 1st games of series (or in this case tourney's) and its rearing its ugly head today. I would think we would win tomorrow and maybe Friday given our history this year but 1st games are always a problem for us and something we need to work on big time in offseason is coming out stronger. 

For last at bat tomorrow if Michigan loses we get it. If NW loses we toss a coin.

Probably better we play Michigan as losing to NW might be our one way we miss NCAA in addition to losing today (we may still be in losing to NW but would be sweating a bit).  RPI will consider this a 'neutral loss' so we probably fall to 30 or so after today. Our RPI was 35 2 years ago with very similar resume for when we got in just for reference. Now that we have put 1st game behind us we probably win at least 1 and maybe 2 and are ok short of NW loss as I said.

33 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

ugh can Tracy Smith please come back

I would love this but probably not realistic.

As critical as I've been, as long as we are competing in Big Ten and making NCAA Tourney (which we almost certainly will this year) I think we have to say Lemonis is meeting expectation and the program is in a much better place still then it ever has been. As much as I loved 2013 and 14 probably not realistic to expect that. Very much like Butler is in basketball they have never made it back to title game or repeating the years they had with Stevens, but they are competing in Big East and making tourney which is all they can expect and its same with us for Baseball.

If performance falls further or we have entire years like we did earlier this season than we start bringing pitchforks but what we are doing now is probably most reasonable expectation yearly.

18 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I would love this but probably not realistic.

As critical as I've been, as long as we are competing in Big Ten and making NCAA Tourney (which we almost certainly will this year) I think we have to say Lemonis is meeting expectation and the program is in a much better place still then it ever has been. As much as I loved 2013 and 14 probably not realistic to expect that. Very much like Butler is in basketball they have never made it back to title game or repeating the years they had with Stevens, but they are competing in Big East and making tourney which is all they can expect and its same with us for Baseball.

If performance falls further or we have entire years like we did earlier this season than we start bringing pitchforks but what we are doing now is probably most reasonable expectation yearly.

I disagree because Indiana made it to the College World Series. The last time a Big Ten School did that was 1984 ( I believe) .  We have top tier resources and the Big Ten (though not a big history in baseball) is still a big boy conference.  This is a chance to be build ourselves to be contenders and  be a powerhouse in the conference.  Nothing wrong with failing but I have a problem is we don't go for it.  

2 hours ago, Banksyrules said:

I disagree because Indiana made it to the College World Series. The last time a Big Ten School did that was 1984 ( I believe) .  We have top tier resources and the Big Ten (though not a big history in baseball) is still a big boy conference.  This is a chance to be build ourselves to be contenders and  be a powerhouse in the conference.  Nothing wrong with failing but I have a problem is we don't go for it.  

We should definitely strive to be our best no doubt.

However, Butler has never made it back to championship game or Final Four either despite being twice in their little run and has been just a constant tourney team since Stevens left. Guess they should fire Holtman also since they have not gotten past sweet 16 but made tourney every year since their out of no where run.

Look I have been more critical than anyone of Lemonis (see all previous posts if you do not believe me) but regardless of end results as long as we are we getting in tourney on an almost regular bases that's all we can reasonably ask. If we have a season where we implode then we should re-evaluate but right now might be the best we can strive for. 

Any chance we were going to miss the tourney just went out the window (no Zach Osterman today's loss did not really hurt our tourney chances despite what you wrote) facing Michigan tomorrow. First off we get last at bat and our own dugout back. Also a loss to them will not hurt us in least for our resume or getting in (RPI 30 and would remain 30 with loss and as I said exact same scenario 2 years ago with 6th in conference and 35 RPI we got comfortably in so no worries). No matter what happens now we locked in our spot with NW beating Michigan.  

Strangely Michigan lost on a bullpen implosion in 9th inning from guys who had not given up a single run all year till today and one was the closer who was obviously perfect in save opportunities. These tourneys have strange things happen to all and not just IU.   

I'm starting to think this tourney is not meant to be for us between a robbed Home Run now and yesterday's sac fly controversy. Clearly the baseball gods do not want us to do well. Good thing we should be in NCAA tourney anyways. Already down 1-0.