Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

RBB89

South End Zone Expansion/Stadium Renovation Thread

8 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Rather underwhelming. Hopefully it'll be spruced up a bit. 

I’d prefer a huge mural of Fred with a cheesy smile doing double finger pistols with fireworks exploding in the background on the big open area. 

Let's say that Coach Tom takes IU to the next level and begins winning 8 or 9 or more games yearly and the stadium begins selling out all 53,000 seats every game, would that lead to expansion adding more capacity? If they do that would they expand the east stands upward and wrap around the end zones? Also when I 69 finally reaches Indy by say 2022 that would make it easier for more fans to get to Btown to attend games. 

1 hour ago, Iugradman said:

Yes on both, though the endzones will be left alone. The east stands would be expanded. Could probably add 8-9k seats.

Correct. The university architect actually said they could add seats to the north end zone as well, but most likely they would just add a second deck on to the east side. That was originally supposed to be the same height as the west stands, but they ran out of money.

I suspect the next major project will be more suites/a new press box, and they will happily deal with fewer available tickets/more demand if that occurs.

13 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Rather underwhelming. Hopefully it'll be spruced up a bit. 

It will look 100% different when all the glass is installed. None of the exterior glass is up yet, half of the concrete is still bare concrete while the other half is being stained/painted tan to match the rest of the stadium, there is still dirt everywhere, the Indiana University precast sign isn't up over the main entrance yet, they don’t have any of the red banners up on the concourse yet, and there’s no trees/landscaping (giant plaza) or lighting. Plus, they are going to connect the wrought iron fencing on the east side all the way around to the west side. Right now it looks pretty utilitarian.

Trust me, it will look completely different. Even little touches like the glass on the two towers rising up above the top of the concrete will make a huge aesthetic difference. The NEZ looked boring as hell for 90% of its construction, and now it looks freaking awesome.

EA6153C1-3440-4378-8241-7CA0054C62DB.jpeg

4DDE60EE-B83C-4CF4-9307-BB1A42578B0E.jpeg

332F458F-C1E1-4010-8864-AFA841EBCB2F.jpeg

2 hours ago, RBB89 said:

332F458F-C1E1-4010-8864-AFA841EBCB2F.jpeg

I hope the trees shown in those conceptuals aren't just shaded red for optics, and are actually planned red maples or such. That will look sweet.

But having spent 30 years working  around landscape architects on jobs such as this, I'm not getting my hopes up.

3 hours ago, johnsoniu said:

I hope the trees shown in those conceptuals aren't just shaded red for optics, and are actually planned red maples or such. That will look sweet.

But having spent 30 years working  around landscape architects on jobs such as this, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Yeah they’re definitely planting a lot of trees, but I don’t think they’ll be red...

BA1C487A-F3BD-4F6E-B7F0-133B16DEE66D.png

AEE17491-E543-435F-8D4B-EDE2F5891363.png

61324DD2-A068-47B0-A1A6-4BF8506FB0DF.png

4 hours ago, Andrew_114 said:

Hey I've noticed you consistently have progress pictures and mock up pictures for a lot of the IU projects. Is there somewhere the public can see these or are you an employee that has access and the ability to share?

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

No not an employee, I just tend to have a lot of free time to look for this stuff. I love history, I love architecture, and I love sports, and I have a significant neurological disorder that brings a lot of downtime, so I’m just good at finding all that stuff because I’m often in bed recovering.

iuplanroom.com is good for keeping up with upcoming projects up for bid.

construction.iu.edu has a list of all university projects and pics, but the pics are updated at random.

reprographix.com has the entire architectural/construction plans for the south end zone project. Just go there and search for memorial stadium in the plan room. Every time I try to link to it, it freaks out, but you’re free to search for it and view it.