Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

RBB89

South End Zone Expansion/Stadium Renovation Thread

Haven't stopped by for a while, so I apologize if there's already a thread about this, but if not, I thought we could accumulate all the progress and info here.

Groundbreaking ceremony (including major gifts and new renderings): http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2017/4/28/varsity-club-indiana-university-holds-official-groundbreaking-for-iu-athletics-excellence-academy.aspx?path=varsityclub

IMG_6844.JPG

IMG_6845.JPG

Jeremy Gray (assistant AD) on Facebook threw in an interesting tidbit. He said the team will actually take the field from near the south end once everything is complete, because of how the locker room is situated and how it's going to be renovated/expanded; they're going to create a new tunnel for them to come out of instead of coming out of the weight room. Which will be interesting since the visitors locker room will exit near there too.

Some info on the concessions/restrooms renovation coming up...all the old facilities will be redone as a part of the project. Technology wise, they are going to do something similar to what they did at Assembly Hall...all the signage will be digital.

http://quality-connect.com/sporting-facilities-audio-video-installation-menu-boards/#!

Indiana University Assembly Hall Renovation
At Indiana University, QCAV worked with the Technology Services Department to incorporate over 150 Screens for Digital Menu Boards, Ticket Box Information and Wayfinding driven by PingHD software. Then entire installation took only five working days with just two crews from QCAV. We also took over the project in their Henke Spirit of ‘76 Club where we hung and connected an additional 12 screens, just to help keep things moving along for the entire project. Working with I.U. was an amazing experience and we look forward to doing a similar installation for I.U. at Memorial Stadium 2017/18. This is the third BIG-10 school we have worked with including projects at Northwestern University’s brand new building at the Kellogg School of Management and University of Illinois’ Assembly Hall upgrades.

IMG_6847.JPG

The new north end zone video board will be installed this summer up between the two towers where the current scoreboard is. It will be the main scoreboard for this upcoming 2017 season and provide video and stats. There will be no scoreboard in the south end zone the season, other than a basic temporary one at field level for the players to see time and score. Interestingly, the old south board, which is not really that old, is currently in storage until they figure out what to do with it. 

A new, larger south end zone video board will be installed before the 2018 season and then that will become the main video board, with the north one remaining as a secondary board.

That's pretty cool. But why? Why are we spending so much on a program that struggles to win 6 six games once every 20 years? Why are people donating to football and not basketball, baseball or soccer?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Because Football brings in as much as those three sports combined from a revenue standpoint. The three sports you brought up also don't have the potential to make money like football does. Not sure if you are being serious?

45 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Because Football brings in as much as those three sports combined from a revenue standpoint. The three sports you brought up also don't have the potential to make money like football does. Not sure if you are being serious?

Yep basketball revenue is topped out. And the rest of the teams combined don't have the earning potential that Football does. The goal is to get football earning money then use some of that money on the other sports teams. 

Just now, RBB89 said:

Obviously I've been planning that mic drop for a few months now. Ha ha

THANK YOU!! I get tired of hearing people say the same thing, "IU Football sucks, IU football will never be good, Win more games before investing money in the program, etc" and its those same people that never show up to support the team.

16 minutes ago, ThompsonHoosier said:

THANK YOU!! I get tired of hearing people say the same thing, "IU Football sucks, IU football will never be good, Win more games before investing money in the program, etc" and its those same people that never show up to support the team.

Yeah it's just a really crappy attitude, which also doesn't even make any sense. Part of improving something is investing in it.