Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

2018 General Recruiting Thread

Is this true?  Not sure where the rankings all stack up.

It'll all depend on the final class and rankings. If we land both Garland and Romeo it'll easily be better on paper. If we land one but not the other it will be pretty close. If we land neither the 2012 class will be better on paper.

2012 Final:
7th Nationally
4 recruits, average 96.58, 66.29
Yogi: 5*, (21), 0.9917
Hollowell: 4*, (36), 0.9851
Perea: 4*, (53), 0.9795
Jurkin: 3*, (190), 0.9069

2018 Current:
4th Nationally
4 recruits, average 94.89, 61.65
Hunter: 4*, (62), 0.9749
Anderson: 4*, (85), 0.9620
Phinisee: 4*, (94), 0.9526
Forrester: 3*, (154), 0.9062

W/Romeo
5 recruits, average 95.88, 66.63
Romeo: 5*, (5), 0.9984

W/Garland
5 recruits, average 95.82, 66.36
Garland: 5*, (10), 0.9957

W/Garland and Langford
6 recruits, average 96.5, 69.16

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Well, let's not go overboard. The Yogi class was better on paper. The Watford/Hulls/Creek,  Zeller, Troy, and VO classes were quite good too. 
The movement class was a bust. Jurkin was not a d1 talent and hanner should never have been ranked in the top 150. Patterson was basically a 3 star.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I guess it would depend on how you look at it. Since yogi will always be linked to the movement class I would have a hard time calling it a bust. That class was a part of 2 outright B1G titles in its 4 year cycle regardless of who ended up leaving and produced IU's all time leading assist leader

To go basically was the class. My point was 4 of the 5 guys were basically busts.

I'd consider Race Thompson a member of the 2018 class tbh. Maybe he's not officially on paper or in class, but he'll join the incoming freshman next year with their first true seasons.

If we land Romeo and Garland, then it's no question the best class at IU in quite some time. 

Crean landed top 20 5* guys in Blackman and Yogi, top 15 guy with Cody and a top 10 guy with Noah (using rivals) and yet got fired because he could not win enough not consistently.

We need the top kids but i am hoping we end up with a 5* top ten coach more than anything. Archie is off to a great start - can't wait to see how we play.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

On Paper, and that's all we can really go on with respect to 2018, 2013 was pretty strong.
Noah 5
Troy 4
Stan 4
Luke 4
Devin 3
Collin 3.
That was a good class. Fischer would of been a good at iu and Davis as well but he messed up. That class was far better than the movement.

As of now are team projects something like this for next year.

Guards
1. Curtis Jones
2. Devonte Green
3. Al Durham
4. Rob Phinisee

Wings

5. Justin Smith
6. Jerome Hunter
7. Damezi Anderson
8. Juwan Morgan

Bigs

9. DD
10. Clifton Moore
11. Race Thompson
12. Jake Forrester.

Potentially adding Romeo and Garland. If both we lose one from above.

Archie will have his hands full figuring out lineups, playing time, etc. We won't have obvious bench riders.

Excited to see all these new faces.

I watched some Cole Anthony and Garland clips last night. Forrester played AAU with Cole and he finished a couple dishes from cole. He seemed springy, and got up quick.

27 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Guards
1. Curtis Jones
2. Devonte Green
3. Al Durham
4. Rob Phinisee

Wings

5. Justin Smith
6. Jerome Hunter
7. Damezi Anderson
8. Juwan Morgan

Bigs

9. DD
10. Clifton Moore
11. Race Thompson
12. Jake Forrester.

Archie will have his hands full figuring out lineups, playing time, etc. We won't have obvious bench riders.

I watched some Cole Anthony and Garland clips last night. Forrester played AAU with Cole and he finished a couple dishes from cole. He seemed springy, and got up quick.

Don't I remember CAM saying in a couple of different forums soon after he was hired that he wasn't a fan of deep rotations? Pretty sure he said he prefers going 8-9 deep. Might require a little adjustment in philosophy. If you add RL and DG and subtract 1, let's just go with Green, that looks like a really, REALLY, deep roster. Don't see a towel waver in the bunch. Nice problem, too many guys who can play.

23 minutes ago, Demo said:

Don't I remember CAM saying in a couple of different forums soon after he was hired that he wasn't a fan of deep rotations? Pretty sure he said he prefers going 8-9 deep. Might require a little adjustment in philosophy. If you add RL and DG and subtract 1, let's just go with Green, that looks like a really, REALLY, deep roster. Don't see a towel waver in the bunch. Nice problem, too many guys who can play.

And I could see him continuing to adhere to that 8-9 rotation after he's gotten the roster filled with his type of recruits for his style of play.  I'm emphasizing 'his' because this year's roster is what he inherited.

Guards
1. Curtis Jones
2. Devonte Green
3. Al Durham
4. Rob Phinisee

Wings

5. Justin Smith
6. Jerome Hunter
7. Damezi Anderson
8. Juwan Morgan

Bigs

9. DD
10. Clifton Moore
11. Race Thompson
12. Jake Forrester.

I think under Cam we'll have 4 positions; PG, small wing, big wing, big. It's something small but something to look forward to. Smith, Anderson, and Hunter will all be wings but small wings. Watford, Brooks, etc. will be big wings. We'll see some combo of point, big, and three wings most of the time.

It's great to hear all this chatter about Langford and Garland, but I just don't see us getting either of them. Maybe 9 years of watching Tom Crean drop the ball in the 11th hour has caused me to be skeptical. Then you throw in all these insiders saying things that turn out to be wrong, Calipari stealing kids after talking to them for a few minutes, and various other dumb factors that play into these decisions, and it's just hard for me to get my hopes up. If I had to guess, I bet Langford ends up at Louisville and Garland goes to a school not currently being discussed.

12 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

It's great to hear all this chatter about Langford and Garland, but I just don't see us getting either of them. Maybe 9 years of watching Tom Crean drop the ball in the 11th hour has caused me to be skeptical. Then you throw in all these insiders saying things that turn out to be wrong, Calipari stealing kids after talking to them for a few minutes, and various other dumb factors that play into these decisions, and it's just hard for me to get my hopes up. If I had to guess, I bet Langford ends up at Louisville and Garland goes to a school not currently being discussed.

I'm with you. I'm holding on to the positive news we get, but I still think Garland goes to Vandy and Romeo to UL. I would love to be wrong, though. 

1 hour ago, Iugradman said:

When an insider like Evan Daniels says Garland is down to two schools, one of which is IU, his father is a big IU fan who spoke glowingly of the in-home visit, and we start receiving crystal ball picks it is hard not to feel like there is some momentum in our favor. The last competent coach we had was Kelvin Sampson, and despite being a scumbag, he quickly put together a talented roster and started getting high level recruits.

I haven't seen it myself, but others have said they saw on a premi Vandy site that Garland has been telling people he's going to Vandy.

Just tempering my expectations

I haven't seen it myself, but others have said they saw on a premi Vandy site that Garland has been telling people he's going to Vandy.
Just tempering my expectations

I am guessing if that was legit we would have saw Crystal Ball movement (as much as I don't believe it's the be all). I haven't seen anything anywhere else. Also not the be all

In a recruitment like this there will be a lot of rumors swirling. Maybe they are right in this case.   There was an IU insider on another board who indicated we would land Garland.

Yep, somebody is ultimately pick where he goes if it's 50/50 then an insider is born. In the last 15 years of the various boards I have been on I can say one thing I have figured out is if someone comes out and says 100% a kid is going to xxxx without an imminent announcement it is typically bs. Now if a kid is all over the place? Ok maybe. Not a level headed recruitment. Down to specific schools this late in the process? I can believe that. He wouldn't waste his time and get distracted for his upcoming season if he knew 100%.