Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

2018 General Recruiting Thread

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:19 PM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We watched a longer, more athletic Syracuse beat us Fresh year when we were loaded. A great over performing team his senior year. And not much else.

And he's one of the best 5'11" players in the last 20 years.

I loved Yogi. He was fantastic. He was unique. And still him being his size was still a liability in ways that he couldn't help.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Can you quantify or support that liability? His numbers and performance on both ends of the floor demonstrated his strength as a college PG. He was one of the most reliable defenders his final two seasons.

Completely agree that Yogi is more likely an exception than a rule, but height has much less bearing in my mind. We've seen countless examples of smaller (they're still taller than me) PGs excel in college.

My only concern is whether the PG prospect has some superior skill that they can use to counter their "short"-comings. Yogi was an incredible shooter, others are incredible ball handlers, others passers. What about RP or any of our other prospects makes them stand out from the rest? Clearly their height hasn't stopped them from making it this far.

Mods, let me know if I'm getting too far off topic here.  I'd imagine most of us quelled our frustrations with Crean's Swan Song of 16'-17' by following the incredible story of Yogi's success in Dallas.  It came just at the right time.  Here's a video of how a smaller player can be effective.  This is Yogi starting against the reigning champ Cavs, while on his first 10 day contract.  The Mavs were bad, and the cynic would say Yogi, fresh from the D-League, got the start as part of an aggressive tank by Cuban.  As in his Instagram post, Yogi said "Not Today!" and led the Mavs to a victory against Cleveland.  Active hands, awareness, getting under Kyrie's skin.  Taking the ball from LeBron.  This highlight vid shows Yogi's defensive highlights in addition to his points/assists.  

Posting only because it is pertinent to the topic. Yogi just posted this a few days ago. 

Edit:  Man I love Yogi.  I agree that he's the exception, not the rule.  Otherwise there wouldn't be benches calling "baby in the post" when he's on the floor.  Anyone who says height/length isn't a real advantage in basketball just isn't being real.

Screenshot_20170807-110406.thumb.png.adbb064182b5939f9f5634ddd7968e4e.png

Ha, Russ has 3 inches on him. That happens at every position all of the time. Russ is that much stronger and that is what Yogi is up against in that pic not his height.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, bnkepner said:

Haven't really seen it posted here but Mike Davis' son Antoine (2018 PG) has signed to play for Kelvin Sampson at Houston. He shot 43% from distance during the EYBL

I find this a little odd. It seems to me that I remember MD not having a lot of great things to say about Sampson when he took over. Didn't he say something to the effect that IU would be on probation within 2 years? (quite prophetic)

I realize it is Antoine's decision, but it seems like he would have a pretty strong voice.

Who knows, maybe Sampson and Davis get together and reminisce about IU now. I wonder if Tom will be invited soon.

Jake Forrester has scheduled an official to IU.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

Well alrighty then. Prototypical Archie-type forward.
A question for the board; I know we're ahead of the game with two commits and no officials used, but how many officials can we sponsor for a given class year?

Well alrighty then. Prototypical Archie-type forward.
A question for the board; I know we're ahead of the game with two commits and no officials used, but how many officials can we sponsor for a given class year?

https://www.gobigrecruiting.com/blog/2012/10/everything-you-need-to-know-about-official-visits-2/
This says a coach can offer as many as the school budget allows

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 minutes ago, hoosierpap said:

I do. Also, people "visit just to visit" in places like LA, Vegas, stuff like that. You need to dig deeper into a UCLA visit. A Bloomington visit is because you're sincerely interested. 

IU is a very good campus to visit though. It'd be something to check out even if one isn't going there. Who knows but I'd still bet IU doesn't get him