Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

2018 General Recruiting Thread

Assuming we can expect all our freshmen to be ready to contribute  we need only 1 or 2 bodies in 2018. Take the best we can get and save the roster spots. 
Take 1 or 2 in 2018
then take 4 or 5 in 2019 
if we have some 1 and dones in that group it will help balance the classes 

I would prefer 3-4 in 2018 unless we land a possible OAD. We'll have at least 6 open scholarships (Hartman, McSwain, Newkirk, Johnson, Priller, and the current open scholarship). We would be playing a dangerous game only taking one or two. With injuries and things we might not be able to go a full 5v5 in practice with scholarship players.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

I would prefer 3-4 in 2018 unless we land a possible OAD. We'll have at least 6 open scholarships (Hartman, McSwain, Newkirk, Johnson, Priller, and the current open scholarship). We would be playing a dangerous game only taking one or two. With injuries and things we might not be able to go a full 5v5 in practice with scholarship players.

Are we even going to be able to get 3-4 people who can contribute in 2018?

Musa Jallow is now an OSU favorite. Archie HAS to start making something happen. Everyone that followed recruiting last year knew I was one that always said don't overreact to us not getting anyone.

This year is different, 40% of top 100 are already gone and July will take probably another 20%. Were still in a lot of kids, but our "guys" are either gone or now have new leaders.

Garland and Romeo are BIG, but we need a PG. Carey, Duke & Phinisee are still out there and were in good shape, but we need that first domino to fall.

I really thought Bazley would end up ours honestly. We had momentum, but one kid that can make a difference next year and this year for recruiting is Dort. We need to get him on campus soon and wrap it up.

BTW, am I in no way saying Archie isn't doing a good job or isn't the right guy. I believe in him 100%. I just think with IU it is different than the other schools with new coaches. Hopefully things start to go our way soon.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

7 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Are we even going to be able to get 3-4 people who can contribute in 2018?

We certainly have a list of names we're working on that will contribute in 2018. Obviously, it remains to be seen who we actually get.

7 hours ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

Musa Jallow is now an OSU favorite. 

I'm not sure it means much, at the moment. A Kentucky guy picked O$U about 9am (first pick since Feb) Then Meyer at noon. At 4 o'clock an excited Buckeye guy who prob saw Meyers vote, voted Jallow and then another guy did at 8:30. No where can I find any information as to why this "rush" occurred. I think it's just some lemmings.

7 hours ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

Musa Jallow is now an OSU favorite. Archie HAS to start making something happen. Everyone that followed recruiting last year knew I was one that always said don't overreact to us not getting anyone.

This year is different, 40% of top 100 are already gone and July will take probably another 20%. Were still in a lot of kids, but our "guys" are either gone or now have new leaders.

Garland and Romeo are BIG, but we need a PG. Carey, Duke & Phinisee are still out there and were in good shape, but we need that first domino to fall.

I really thought Bazley would end up ours honestly. We had momentum, but one kid that can make a difference next year and this year for recruiting is Dort. We need to get him on campus soon and wrap it up.

BTW, am I in no way saying Archie isn't doing a good job or isn't the right guy. I believe in him 100%. I just think with IU it is different than the other schools with new coaches. Hopefully things start to go our way soon.

Garland is a PG and our #1 choice. But I'm sure Duke is applying a lot of pressure. It will be interesting to see what Jones does. Romeo would be huge but I think most now consider him a UK lean. Race Thompson I'm guessing will be our first commit of the 18 class. Phinisee needs to have a good July, along with Jallow for IU to pick up their interest. I mean the interest is there but there are several guys on are radar a head of them. Anderson is a must and would like to see Henry get an offer too. 

4 hours ago, recker222000 said:

So who are our top targets? I have not really been following this but obviously romeo and garland. Who else?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Correct me if I'm wrong but believe in addition to the two you mentioned it's:

Race Thompson

Luegentz Dort

Jerome Hunter

Damezi Anderson

Robert Phinisee

Maybe a couple of others but I think they are the top

5 hours ago, recker222000 said:

So who are our top targets? I have not really been following this but obviously romeo and garland. Who else?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Current offerees:

Anderson, Damezi
Ayala, Eric
Carey, Jalen
Dort, Lugentz
Duke, David
Garland, Darius
Hunter, Jerome
King, Louis
Langford, Romeo
Phinisee, Robert
Thompson, Race

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Current offerees:

Anderson, Damezi
Ayala, Eric
Carey, Jalen
Dort, Lugentz
Duke, David
Garland, Darius
Hunter, Jerome
King, Louis
Langford, Romeo
Phinisee, Robert
Thompson, Race

Take the worst 4, with no position repeats and it'd be a pretty decent 1st class.

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

8 offers with 5 open scholarships? Crean would have had 25 out.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

In fairness, I've no doubt we'll be extending more offers as we move through the July eval period, i.e.,  Aaron Henry (maybe Eric Hunter) immediately come to mind if they play well.  But your exactly on point in how FCTC threw offers around like he was sowing grass seed.

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Current offerees:

Anderson, Damezi
Ayala, Eric
Carey, Jalen
Dort, Lugentz
Duke, David
Garland, Darius
Hunter, Jerome
King, Louis
Langford, Romeo
Phinisee, Robert
Thompson, Race

51 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

Take the worst 4, with no appropriate position repeats and it'd be a pretty decent  very successful 1st class.

^^Better way of stating it^^

Or: Take a random set of four and it'd be an incredibly successful first class.

48 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

In fairness, I've no doubt we'll be extending more offers as we move through the July eval period, i.e.,  Aaron Henry (maybe Eric Hunter) immediately come to mind if they play well.  But your exactly on point in how FCTC threw offers around like he was sowing grass seed.

Yes I think you will see more offers come this month. Jake Forrester is a name to keep an eye on. He says he's been hearing from IU a lot lately.