Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) PF Race Thompson to IU

Yeah, ok... but why? Like others have said, we weren't using the scholly and it has no negative impact on his eligibility + he gets a year to learn the system, train, practice with/against better players, etc. What's the downside I'm missing?

Not enough instant gratification for the impatient. ???

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

2 minutes ago, Hollywood Mike Miranda said:

Yeah, ok... but why? Like others have said, we weren't using the scholly and it has no negative impact on his eligibility + he gets a year to learn the system, train, practice with/against better players, etc. What's the downside I'm missing?

I just don't like bringing in a guy that isn't gonna contribute to that year's team. There wasn't any reason to bring him in now

Just now, Hoosier Guy said:

I just don't like bringing in a guy that isn't gonna contribute to that year's team. There wasn't any reason to bring him in now

But... We've given many reasons to bring him in now. We wanted him for next year's class and now we have him a year early at no cost. 

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

To get better.

Usually 3 don't see the floor on most teams anyway.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

He's a good player. I'm not denying that. It's a good get. But I just don't like red shirts. As long as IU gets Romeo though, I'm happy

It was just going to go unused and this is the type of kid that will be a great 4 year guy, a glue guy. Different player than Morgan and Hartman but likely having that type of role/impact/longevity

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

I respect you opinion but I disagree with it. He can contribute to this year's team by pushing them in practice to make them better. He can learn IU's system and develops chemistry with the current players so he will be ready for 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I hope you guys are right. I really do. But not every red shirt player dramatically improves

He's a good player. I'm not denying that. It's a good get. But I just don't like red shirts. As long as IU gets Romeo though, I'm happy

Hopefully you can be happy if we don't get Romeo too. Not saying you should just be happy no matter who we get but we can have a great class without him.

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

So you really don't see the upside of getting him in weight training, conditioning, and practicing at IU versus him practicing against his high school teammates and training there? You don't see a benefit to practicing against Hartman or Morgan versus a kid that is probably 6'3"? We had the open scholarship. It was essentially dead if he didn't use it. You can't add kids then take them off of it. There isn't 1% of this conversation where I get where you are coming from. I am not trying to be a Dick, but it literally makes no sense.

Not every single scholarship has to be used

Just now, MikeRoberts said:

Hopefully you can be happy if we don't get Romeo too. Not saying you should just be happy no matter who we get but we can have a great class without him.

Romeo is the crown jewel. You can't tell me it could be a great class if IU doesn't get him

I hope you guys are right. I really do. But not every red shirt player dramatically improves

It's a no risk, high upside option in this case. We aren't pulling a scholly like Crean would have. It is an open scholly. Look at it this way. With Crean this scholarship goes to Gelon or Priller or Marc-Michele. This scholarship is going to a kid that gets to learn through the program without losing any eligibility.

Romeo is the crown jewel. You can't tell me it could be a great class if IU doesn't get him

I am saying that. If we land 4 4* kids that are all great kids, student etc how do you not say that is a great class?

Romeo is the man but only one team is going to get him and that team isn't going to be the only team to land a great class

Just now, mdn82 said:

It's a no risk, high upside option in this case. We aren't pulling a scholly like Crean would have. It is an open scholly. Look at it this way. With Crean this scholarship goes to Gelon or Priller or Marc-Michele. This scholarship is going to a kid that gets to learn through the program without losing any eligibility.

Definitely agree on Crean using the open scholarship on a dud of a player. Race Thompson has a chance to be really good. We'll see